Dock timer logic reset

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Would be really nice if you could send a logic signal to either the ship core (generic reset for various non-essential timers), or a empty rail docker to reset the re-dock timer to zero.

The reason this would be useful is because it allows faster automated movement/transfer between rail systems.

My current use case for such a change is in a drone automation system, but could also be useful for cargo systems and docks/traffic control, among other things when a automated system might not want to waste time on waiting for the redock timer.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Would be really nice if you could send a logic signal to either the ship core (generic reset for various non-essential timers), or a empty rail docker to reset the re-dock timer to zero.

The reason this would be useful is because it allows faster automated movement/transfer between rail systems.

My current use case for such a change is in a drone automation system, but could also be useful for cargo systems and docks/traffic control, among other things when a automated system might not want to waste time on waiting for the redock timer.
    They are planning to make it distance based. You might need to rethink it?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As long as I can clear a entity and get it onto another rail in under 5 seconds I'll be a happy chappy.
    So it really depends on how they implement the distance based system, or if it happens.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    They are planning to make it distance based. You might need to rethink it?
    Distance based would be far worse than currently what exists.
    These two examples would be utterly impossible if distance based.
    https://starmadedock.net/threads/simple-automated-cargo-drone-storage-point.22342/
    https://starmadedock.net/threads/automated-crane-demo-with-some-issues.22393/

The best option is for them to reduce the time from 5 seconds to two seconds and get rid of the push effect on undocking.

Reaction score
    I'd like to just do away with separate logic blocks altogether and replace them with a programmable microcontroller block... the Starduino!

Reaction score
    Distance based would be far worse than currently what exists.
    These two examples would be utterly impossible if distance based.
    Not necessarily. If distance based means you can't redock to the same docking point before moving away, a similar setup should still work.

The best option is for them to reduce the time from 5 seconds to two seconds and get rid of the push effect on undocking.
    That push effect though... I guess it has to happen currently to avoid or reduce ship clipping/collission issues, but eventually, there are push beams for that purpose, and it should be removed or at least tuned down massively.

Reactions: GRHayes

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Definitely agree about the undock pop, needs to be toned down a fair bit.

Honestly it would be great if we could have two different types of dockers, or a way to change docking mode.
    A contact dock, works as current and a magnetic dock, which works on distance.

One allows precision, the other allows ease of use.

Either way however, a way to reset the timers would be a huge benefit in my opinion.