Discontinuity

Reaction score
    I used to play on EI (Banzai). I was a hardcore fan of that server. I really miss it and wish that Arkazan had not chose to abandon it. The idea there was unique, and it set it apart from other servers. I waited, and waited, hoping someone would create a similar server. Then I became impatient and decided it was time to put my Thinkserver and programming skills to work creating something similar to EI, but different. Here it is. Discontinuity Continued. discontinuity.no-ip.com:4242

A new server...with a couple of unique takes on play you will not find anywhere else...
    1. Having members in your faction drains faction points. To recoup faction points you must claim territory. No territory claimed = loss of FP. When you hit zero FP you are open for attack at your home base. FP needed will increase as your faction member count increases. Generally having 5 sectors claimed will net a positive FP increase for each faction member. FP gained from sectors reduced by distance from the galaxy core and distance from your faction home base.
    2. To encourage trade each faction will have a randomly assigned ore type (the useful types of 'raw ores'). Each member of every faction can claim 500k worth of this ore type daily (NOT 500k ore, but 500k credit worth of ore). This will soon create an over abundance of this ore type in your faction. You will then need to trade away this ore with other factions for whatever type of ore they have extra of. I hope this will create lots of trade, and thus trading alliances. You will need to have friendly alliances to succeed. You will need to trade, and perhaps we have traveling merchants ferrying these goods around, and player pirates as a result.

To make this work I will be makeing ores claimable daily by voting at starmade-servers.com and using vote rewards to claim these extra ores. There is also a mechanic to allow you to change the ore type for your faction. If you are not in a faction you can still claim an ore type using this mechanic. I may make it so you can claim ores later without voting (may). I do not want this to be a voting economy but it is a necessary evil at the moment to create the trade that will make it intresting. 500k credits of ore works out to about 5k ore which is not an ungodly amount.

I will wipe the server and start over when a single faction conquers a majority of the map and enough other factions that they are the clear winner with no hope of the other factions recouping. That faction will then receive a bonus in the next iteration. This may not even occur due to the trade mechanic.

Admins are required to use special admin accounts which will be named Admin01, Admin02 etc. Anyone creating an account with a player name similar to this will be banned. I would like to have a few more admins.

I own the server. I will upgrade it as it proves to be necessary. I have modified a publicly available script package to automate the server. I may take it down for short periods to add modified code for new functions.

So here is the shortlist of what sets Discontinuity Continued apart from other servers...
    > Unique faction point system
    > Unique faction items to encourage trade
    > 5x mining bonus in faction owned sectors. 0x mining bonus is unowned and other faction territories. Low bonus creates conflict for resources
    > Asteroids re-spawn after 30 days. Planets never re-spawn. Encourages expansion
    > Vote Rewards (500k worth of your factions special ore, a starter ship, 100k credits, ability to change ore type for your faction)
    > A single trade faction trade station in the spawn area. This is the only NPC trade station in the galaxy.
    > Pirates (reduced spawn rate, reduced likelihood of random spawns)
    > Server Bank
    > Automated restart script
    > New world 4-20-16, no catching up to veterans required
    > Speed is set at 250

Now for the rules...
    > Do not claim any system adjacent to 0 0 0. 0 0 2 would be ok, 0 0 1 would not.
    > Do not claim any territory outside of the starter galaxy. Do not make any bases outside the starter galaxy.
    > Do not war with the faction 'Discontinuity'
    > Do not intentionally and repeatedly harass playersthrough voice or text. If they ask you to stop then stop. You can camp/destroy their ships and bases to your hearts content.
    > If an admin asks you to do something or to not do something then do as they ask.
    > Dont be a jerk.
    > Other things I will put here when you are a jerk.
    > I may alter statistics and requirements on the server if there is a general consensus that something should be changed, or if I feel it needs changed for balance. I will not be constantly changing numbers or blocks around.
    I will be adminning on the account Banzai and the faction Discontinuity. You are not allowed to war with the faction Discontinuity.
    Ideas for the future...Pending player feedback

> A way to query server for FP (Faction Points) of any faction (tell estimate when homebase protection will fall)
    > FP decay
    > A mechanism to give extra resource bonus for territory claimed (more territory = more extra resources gained by guild leader for guild use)

Come check it out, I am very open to feedback. discontinuity.no-ip.org:4242

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Whelp here we go again.

If your looking to a "resources scarcity" thing to encourage legit trade I like to point you to this thing I developed. Does not require shady voting rewards or a wrapper:

Nova Ascendance: Faction PvP and Conquest Server [[Coming Soon]]

Just read the top part, forget the crap past the control point section.

tldr;

-Take the unused factory and put the recipes for important blocks in it. Such as shield, effects or even ores.

-take said unused factory out of shops and make it unplacable so people can't get their fat sticky fingers on it.

-spawn in a station with the magic sexy mystery box and link a storage box to it so you can filter what the factory is allowed to produced.

-faction locked the station to -2 so it can not be claimed, destroyed, or generally effed with.

-congrats! You've created a legit point of interest for people to fight over and a reason to greif each other rather then just for lols