• Yay

Votes: 2 13.3%
    • Nay

Votes: 9 60.0%
    • Scrub

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    The main reason people don't want to disable BPs is because you can't spawn stations then, and the main reason people want to disable BPs is because you can spawn "Pocket Battleships". So can we not be able to buy ship BPs at shops, only designs?

This would still allow you to spawn stations by BP, but ships you would get a design for and would have to be built in a shipyard.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can already in the server.cfg set if ships can be spawned from Blueprints or not. The same holds true for Stations.

I do not know if setting Blueprints to not spawn ships prevents you from buying the Blueprint. As you currently need a blueprint to convert that in a Shipyard to get a Ship Design. If it does prevent you from buying the Blueprint then having an extra server.cfg option for shops to sell designs is a good idea.

Note that blueprints are the main core of the game. It means that time working on a design is not wasted going from server to server. Preventing you from inventing the wheel over and over.

The idea that you can somehow prevent people from bringing online pre made ships as a balance tool. Goes directly against everything this game is.

But as i stated a server admin does have control over it incase he wants to walk this path.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Shipyards can now pull blueprints directly from the catalogue now. So no need for the shop blueprint.
    However, I like being able to stealth my way to enemy territory with a battle fleet in my pocket. ;)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This is roughly how I think the game should be played in the future. I'm not sure it makes sense yet.

Reaction score
    I love the idea, but more work will need to be done on shipyards first.

Reaction score
    no. It never happens.
    Wat? Pls explain.

Note that blueprints are the main core of the game. It means that time working on a design is not wasted going from server to server. Preventing you from inventing the wheel over and over.

The idea that you can somehow prevent people from bringing online pre made ships as a balance tool. Goes directly against everything this game is.
    So can we not be able to buy ship BPs at shops, only designs?
    not be able to buy ship BPs at shops, only designs?
    only designs
    :cautious: Did you read the OP?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    :cautious: Did you read the OP?
    I read it and explained how to set up what you are asking for. For that you rated it informative.

The part you quoted is my opinion/view on the matter.

Wat? Pls explain.
    Something you are also asking of the others.

But I shall add a few more words to express my opinion regarding no ship Blueprints.

I consider it my right to have a Pocket Battleship on me as a Blueprint! So i can take my Perma Jumper to your space. Spawn the damn thing and flat out try to murder you with it. All the while giving a big finger to cargo!

That is not an exploit that is not a cheat THAT is StarMade! NO GAMEPLAY LIMITS. Only server/hardware limits where needed to prevent servers falling apart. "no settling of planets etc etc"

The use of a Shipyard is a personal choice not a top down mandatory one. I happen to use both ways to spawn ships. Direct Blueprint spawn and Shipyard use.

But as i explained setup your server to not allow this. If this is bugging you so much. Because that to is your personal choice and who am i to try to prevent that. :-p

Reaction score
    The part you quoted is my opinion/view on the matter.
    You can already in the server.cfg set if ships can be spawned from Blueprints or not. The same holds true for Stations.

I do not know if setting Blueprints to not spawn ships prevents you from buying the Blueprint. As you currently need a blueprint to convert that in a Shipyard to get a Ship Design. If it does prevent you from buying the Blueprint then having an extra server.cfg option for shops to sell designs is a good idea.
    That is informative. We need selective reviews.

prevent servers falling apart. "no settling of planets etc etc"
    That battleship all spawning in all at once has to have a ton of blocks and a ton of entities. That does lag the server a lot.

I consider it my right to have a Pocket Battleship on me as a Blueprint! So i can take my Perma Jumper to your space. Spawn the damn thing and flat out try to murder you with it. All the while giving a big finger to cargo!
    You have to admit that's at least imbalanced. There's no way to counter someone holding an entire server killing fleet inside their inventory, and spawning it all at once killing both the server and everyone lagged to death by the AI.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That battleship all spawning in all at once has to have a ton of blocks and a ton of entities. That does lag the server a lot.
    Has to have... You are using a lot of assumption. Do you have experience running a StarMade server? Because spawning ships from Blueprints is one of the most basic of game play elements in StarMade. The server might briefly devote more of it's resource to the spawning of a large ship. But any sustained lag comes from flying the ship or engaging in combat with it. And then only if said ship is bigger then what the servers CPU can handle. The spawning in of a big ship is even on busy servers a rare event. Though you are right that on a loaded sector pressure from many entities at once can create a lot of lag even while things are motionless. This is mostly the case at Home Bases that have to many ships parked there.

Regardless i might as well have a tiny fighter in my pocket. I like the ability to spawn ships from a Blueprint. Servers that put up game play restrictions outside of what is needed to maintain a servers health are highly unpopular.

You have to admit that's at least imbalanced.
    I do not have to admit to anything. My opinion can be and is the exact opposite of yours. If mass spawn of fleets is an issue then you need server rules that say only use so big and so many ships in a fleet. "falls under server health"

I can handle that being on the receiving side just fine. Even if that means curling up in my Home Base and waiting for the attacker to get bored and leave. :eek: Sometimes doing nothing is your strongest weapon. :whistle:

Shipyard bugs are expected to be fixed, and you can save the design the same way you save a BP
    Shipyards are impractical in more then one ways bug fix or not. Like TrickyNicky27 i do not want to have to use the Shipyard. To spawn in every little turret that you want add to a new ship or as a refit. And yes in know that a complete ship with turrets can be constructed in a shipyard.

The discussion of the how, what or why is a little pointless. As everyone has their own views.

If you want this on your server then just implement it using the way i outlined in my first post.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I agree with Batavium here, unbalanced is bullshit thinking if thats what I am see, you eliminate the use of blueprints, then your eliminating 3/4ths of the entire communtiy. Think about that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A lot of the responses here confuse me... The OP is not suggesting the removal of the catalogue system, just spawnable blueprint metaitems... What about keeping huge battleships in your pocket promotes good gameplay?

I understand that shipyards are buggy, and people are rightly afraid of them because of that, but that is the only valid argument I've heard so far. :P

For turrets, you have to remember that you're dealing with building spaceships here. We are used to it being quick and easy, but it makes sense to actually assemble each turret and move it into place. Want to avoid that? Just save the initial BP or design with the turrets on it... Creative servers are a thing for a reason. Besides, honestly, the distance and time required is often less than the current method of spawning a turret potentially half a kilometer away from you (if you're in a station), flying to it, and dragging it back to wherever you're trying to dock it.

Reactions: gamesaucer
    Reaction score
    turret potentially half a kilometer away from you (if you're in a station), flying to it, and dragging it back to wherever you're trying to dock it.
    The best way to solve that is to make a stick of rails and dock each turret to it.