Directional Thruster Plumes

Reaction score
    I looked, found nothing, so here is my obvious and simple request/suggestion/impolite demand/whatever you may call it.

Make plume direction be determined by thruster orientation.

Recently ran into this issue on a build where I was using thrusters for an engine-core sort of look...and needed thrusters pointed up, down, and to the sides...not just backwards.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I support this idea but could care less about your reasoning for it. My reason for my agreement and support is to have those jackarses that use thruster plumes as kitchen tops to have one hell of a good time.

Reactions: Gmodism
    Reaction score
    So you disagree with people's aesthetic choices and their stovetops?

Whatever. As long as you swear your eternal servitude agree with me, I don't really care why.
    ;)

Reactions: Gmodism
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Yes please ! We NEED those thruster plums to be orientable !!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Much like lighting was removed from capacitors, I think effects should be removed from system blocks and re-implemented as decoration. I think thruster plumes need to be created by decoration blocks, not thruster systems.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Much like lighting was removed from capacitors, I think effects should be removed from system blocks and re-implemented as decoration. I think thruster plumes need to be created by decoration blocks, not thruster systems.
    Lighting was removed from capacitors because textures were given the ability to glow. Why should we need to waste an ID and ship space on a decorative glowing block? I don't have a problem with adding a glowing plume block on top of thrusters already, but don't remove it from thrusters.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lighting was removed from capacitors because textures were given the ability to glow. Why should we need to waste an ID and ship space on a decorative glowing block? I don't have a problem with adding a glowing plume block on top of thrusters already, but don't remove it from thrusters.
    Your opinion is appreciated. However, I use thrusters in close quarters as productive decoration (versus non-productive decorative blocks like girders, computers, and fans), and having a thruster plume obnoxiously cut off my hallway or intrude into some other unwelcome area is irritating. For instance, I never use a "fan" block when a thruster vent will do. Maybe instead of removing plumes completely, it would be useful to be able to turn the plume off, similar to turning a light block off.

I was able to use capacitors as a maintenance-space light, while still being useful. It wasn't the standard maintenance amber, but it lit the space well enough. Texture glow maps just aren't the same. :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    There are plenty of other blocks to give that circular decoration bit other than the thruster block.
    And you can still use the sides of the thruster block.

Directionale plums would be so good for a lot of ships. Brings life to the build on a macro scale.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Glowing maneuvering jets would be way better than flat blue circle maneuvering jets!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Why this hasn't happened already?
    Because it's cool but I think they're still trying to make the playable part of the game work. The part where you can play. I'm sure once we go Beta we will see a ton more decorative and effect blocks come out that people can use for stoves and toasters and hair driers and tea kettles. For now, well, it's Alpha. It's about core game elements.

For now I think their priority is making gameplay work. Balancing core systems like chunk processing, LoD, ship systems, trade, mining, drones, fleets, AI, planets... you know - stuff that isn't just making a block meant for one thing look better when used as something it was absolutely never intended to be.

But long run I like the idea. I'd love to see waaay more cool glowing and plumes and flashy lights. I want a block that creates atmospheric effects like smoke/fog! Some day; once we have planets and crew and the new power system is balanced.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    For the time being you can get directional thruster plumes by using docked thrusters.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    don't forget to make the plume logic activatable, is that a word?, so the oven can be tuned on and off :-p
    maybe even add thruster damage for execut.... i mean realizm..:cautious:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    This would be nice, maybe even have them direction specific so forward facing plumes only activate if the ship is decelerating, side plumes if the ship is strafing etc...

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I suggested the same in another thread but I called it Steering thrusters and nobuddy cared. But who cares, I still want it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I support this idea but could care less about your reasoning for it. My reason for my agreement and support is to have those jackarses that use thruster plumes as kitchen tops to have one hell of a good time.
    Ship accelerates downward, eggs get incinerated