Dev Blog : May 25th 2015

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

Greetings citizens! Clearly the big topic of the past month has been rails, rails, rails. Finally we saw it released and it's been a joy to see all the crazy creations players have managed to make in such a small space of time.
    We've seen everything from various elevators, escalators, all kinds of door types; to walking and punching mechs, retractable armor, and all manner of vehicles.

I can't help but highlight just how quick players have thought out of the box then with this spider mech by CyberTao. It is in one word, ridiculous. You can check out the album here if not for just to see a crazy energy shield armband.

I'm from Australia and even I find this intimidating

If you want to check out more of what players have been putting together with rails then HolyCookie has a great thread that's worth checking out.

Remember to report any bugs you might experience since this update, we're listening to your feedback and there is some balancing that's going to have to happen at some point.

A couple things we should reiterate that players might have missed. Docking is now done through the rail docker, not the ship core. You can't dock using the docking beam anymore, and this beam is used as more of an activation beam now, allowing you to open and close different types of doors as well as triggering logic. Also, don't forget you have to remove your old turrets/docking modules before adding on rails, as the two systems won't mix and you won't be able to dock.

We also have tried something new, putting together a bit of a behind the scenes development video we've called Schine Dev Talk on our main StarMade channel. The feedback on it thus far has been exceedingly positive and so we'll be looking at doing a lot more of them as we go forward. This first one looks at our six-month process in developing the rails update.

Speaking of videos we're in the process of preparing an extensive tutorial series for the game in its current state. They'll be broken down into key topics so you can quickly get to the information you want to know and then get back into it so stay tuned for them.

On the new features front we have some exciting developments happening with fauna, with some great progress made in the past couple weeks. I can tell you the art team is definitely excited to see what they've been working on for quite a while now to be finally making its way into the game. We can't say much more at this time but grab some more coal for the hype train because I'd say my excitement for what's in store would be on par with the rails update.

We've added stacking in for a couple more common groups of items like rails and logic so that should help keep your inventories a little bit more clean.

Stay tuned as we'll have some more information for you soon™ on what's coming up next through the pipeline.
    Finally if you're not yet connecting with us on social media then where have you been? You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Until next time.

- Bench

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I always love seeing a dev blog at the top of the homepage. Thanks for another great news update, Bench.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Alright, you want feedback? Here's feedback;

MOOOOOAAAAAAAR!!!!!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432528978,1432528870][/DOUBLEPOST]CyberTao Do you believe me now when I tell you that your mech is awesome?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    nice job on that very professional and high quality video! looking forward for the new update :p keep the good work guys:)!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'd like to give the community a pat on the collective back for co-operating on and beginning to implement a universal docking collar design. I thought it was a really great, positive thing to have so many people provide helpfull feedback on the initial design, and I'm glad people have been using the finalised design. So thanks, community, for the USD type 1.

Also, fauna: space whales?!? I was so happy when Omni said he would consider implementing them when I asked. I would be even more happy if we had space whales in the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Always very interesting to read about and look at the design decisions that were made behind the scenes. Also the hint of fauna coming to life in the not so distant future is very promising. Nice one guys. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    these are my favorite posts to find when i come to the forums, and with a nice professionally edited video to boot!i love seeing the process and progression of features and how they came to be.

and the prospect of fauna is extremely tantalizing, and one of the features i am most looking forward to. :)

Reactions: Jacemachine
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The video was incredible, i like the texture of those blocks.

Rails have so many opportunities, and have so much room for improvement yet.

Fauna, yes please, 100% waiting to this for a very long time

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Loved the Dev update video, super glad you will be continuing with these in the future. All aboard the bio-fueled hype train, headed for fauna city!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This would have been a great update if rails operated in any sort of large scale server. I see nothing but warnings about rails updating in the log files. Pings have shot up since the last update.

Video was good, but I found something funny. Bench, if you are the head of UX then you have a lot of work cut out for you (just on the UIs alone).

Last edited:

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This would have been a great update if rails operation in any sort of large scale server. I see nothing but warnings about rails updating in the log files. Pings have shot up since the last update.

Video was good, but I found something funny. Bench, if you are the head of UX then you have a lot of work cut out for you (just on the UIs alone).
    Yep I have a lot going on haha.

Reactions: gravypod
    Reaction score
    I recall it being stated that you would eventually dock by a sort of magnet, and actually have the docks touch each other in order to actually dock. Was this idea scrapped, or do you still plan on doing this? I like the idea because it adds a bit of immersiveness, but I don't see the feature currently implemented

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I recall it being stated that you would eventually dock by a sort of magnet, and actually have the docks touch each other in order to actually dock. Was this idea scrapped, or do you still plan on doing this? I like the idea because it adds a bit of immersiveness, but I don't see the feature currently implemented
    is planned