"Destroyed" blocks and repair work.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    As it stands, a block is deleted if its HP is reduced to or below 0. This is simple enough and it works for the old purposes, but it doesn't unload chunks of objects unless every block in that chunk is destroyed, and it doesn't work out well for repair work. I propose that blocks only be deleted if hit with a salvage beam or removed via build mode. If a block's HP is 0, it technically would still exist, but it would be intangible and invisible when not in build mode, and in build mode, the block would just be transparent, to indicate what to replace. This way, instead of having to load a blueprint into RAM to repair a ship, we could just use what already exists in memory.

Rendering would be handled the same way as "Disabled" PlexDoors or PlexGlass.

If Break Off is enabled, the script could just add a condition to its checks. Instead of "If no blocks connect me to the core", it'd be "If no blocks with HP > 0 connect me to the core". Follow up by setting the original "broken off" blocks to 0 HP.

Finally, set the repair beams up so that they will not hit a block with over 100% health. That way we'd be able to repair from outside to inside. Might be able to add in a server config setting to allow shops to "restore" all damaged blocks to 100% health.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    Pretty cool idea, I'm just worried about balance issues. If people are using some energy and repair beams to magic the blocks back into place, I think the repair beam would need another source of "power" that doesn't just generate infinitely.
    Maybe if it used credits or blocks to repair.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Pretty cool idea, I'm just worried about balance issues. If people are using some energy and repair beams to magic the blocks back into place, I think the repair beam would need another source of "power" that doesn't just generate infinitely.
    Maybe if it used credits or blocks to repair.
    Well, of course.

Restoring a block above 0 HP could take a block, or a scrap resource of some sort.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Um, I know that AMCs don't penetrate "transparent" blocks like sprites or open plexdoors. Not sure about beams doing the same thing.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Um, I know that AMCs don't penetrate "transparent" blocks like sprites or open plexdoors. Not sure about beams doing the same thing.
    I get the feeling that projectiles not penetrating open PlexDoors is a bug of some sort. I know Cal mentioned something about "penetrating" projectiles in chat earlier today, so it should be possible.

Really, my guess is that there could be an extra condition added to the projectile collision code, such as checking a global variable attached to that block ID/HP combo.