Defencive effect's influence should depend on it's target systems

Reaction score
    Problem is that influence of any effect depends on mass only. When you have shields and ION defencive effect at max level and build armor, you have to add ION effect modules. But amount of ION modules should not depend on amount of non-shield armor.

[A suggestion]

I think that influence of defencive effect should depend on it's target systems.

For example, influence of ION defencive effect should depend on shield regen and/or capacity.

EMP effect should depend on power regen and/or capacity.

Current dependencies for defencive effects.

New suggesting dependencies for defencive effects, to reach max effect:
    1. EMP. Multiple suggestions:
      1. 10-50% of amount of power reactors.
      2. 10-50% of amount of power capacitors.
      3. 10-50% of amount of power reactors + capacitors.
      4. Another mechanics. Power capacitors will protect energy. For example: [Amount of EMP modules] = [Power regeneration] ^ 2 / ([Power capacity] * 1000). So ship with 2m power regen and 10m power cap will have 2m * 2m / (10m * 1000) = 400 EMP effect modules to reach max influence.
    2. Explosive effect. Don't change.
    3. ION effect. The same as EMP just replacing "power" by "shield".
    4. Overdrive effect. Multiple suggestions:
      1. Don't change.
      2. 100% of amount of thrusters.
    5. Piercing and punch-through effects. Multiple suggestions:
      1. 5-40% of amount of armor blocks.
      2. Don't change.
    6. Stop, push, pull effects: don't change.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This sounds logical to me and would influence ship specialization.

Reaction score
    This sounds logical to me and would influence ship specialization.
    How we can help to implement this?
    Should we tell it to devs?

• 10-50% of amount of power reactors.

• 10-50% of amount of power capacitors.

• 10-50% of amount of power reactors + capacitors.

• Another mechanics. Power capacitors will protect energy. For example: [Amount of EMP modules] = [Power regeneration] ^ 2 / ([Power capacity] * 1000). So ship with 2m power regen and 10m power cap will have 2m * 2m / (10m * 1000) = 400 EMP effect modules to reach max influence.
    I am not sure what sub-suggestions and levels are best.

I think need to wait a bit for another oppinions.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here?

This sounds over powered to me. I think it would be possible to have too many different effects on one ship this way. They've tried module count before and it becomes unwieldy to balance since shops can be large or small.

Also right now you can really boost your shields on a low mass ship with a few modules but it takes quite the amount on a big ship.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How we can help to implement this?

I am not sure what sub-suggestions and levels are best.

I think need to wait a bit for another oppinions.
    If this thread garners enough "likes" or "agrees", the devs will read it and seriously consider it.
    I'd like to see if anyone has found a config file where this can actually be implemented, and if so, tried.

...This sounds over powered to me. I think it would be possible to have too many different effects on one ship this way. They've tried module count before and it becomes unwieldy to balance since shops can be large or small.

Also right now you can really boost your shields on a low mass ship with a few modules but it takes quite the amount on a big ship.
    On the contrary, I believe that server configs could be set to adjust the host block count/percentages per effect. I think this could lead to an optimization of mid-sized ships, with larger ships needing too many support blocks to be effective on the same scale.

Effectively, ship-mass-dependent effectiveness seems like an oversimplification. It would be interesting to re-integrate mass into a customizable math equation. The bottom line of this suggestion is to integrate the counts of related blocks, which I appreciate.

Example:
    Instead of just needing 10% of mass in block count to reach 100% effectiveness, maybe it could be something more complex, such as....
    EffectEMP = BlockCountEMP / ( ( BlockCountReactor / 100 ) + (BlockCountCapacitor / 100 ) + (BlockCountAuxillary / 100) + (TotalMass ^ 2 / 1000))
    EffectMaxEMP = 0.7

By squaring the ship mass in the equation, larger ships with significant volume would require significantly huge stores of effect blocks. This would effectively preserve the ship's mass as the primary limiter of the effect. (Maybe too much; maybe remove the "square" and just increase linearly with mass as now.) And if you, as the server admin, want the current method of block count, you can just change the equation in the config file.

EffectEMP = BlockCountEMP / (TotalMass / 10)

Reaction score
    I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here?

This sounds over powered to me. I think it would be possible to have too many different effects on one ship this way. They've tried module count before and it becomes unwieldy to balance since shops can be large or small.

Amount of required modules can be different (5-1000% of amount of target system's blocks). So we are able to balance effects.

You can suggest ANY dependencies for it.

Also configuration will allow you to choose what you want. Would be great to be able to choose any dependencies.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why mass instead of block count?
    Punishing players who intentionally create a low-mass ship. (I am thinking specifically about cloaking ships, but there may be other constructions that rely on low-mass, such as ugly-but-efficient block-armoring schemes.)

However, I would assume that if this suggestion were under consideration, overall block count could be a part of the efficiency calculation.