Votes: 1 14.3%
    • Bad idea, starmade doesn't need Deep Storage mechanics

Votes: 3 42.9%
    • Bad idea, I don't want volume changes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I did it Dr. Whammy. I had to.

What if you could unmake ingot blocks? So you could have capsule form, which you would use for actual construction, and ingot form, which is what you would use for deep storage. Because as of now your 2k inventory, or a storage/factory and 19 cargo blocks, can hold two million capsules. I had to re-read that number a few times. Which means two things: one, capsules got a bit too buffed on the weight scale. and two: the reason my factories always get clogged is the result product and the mesh and crystal.

Of course, some incentives would need to be made to make ingots, but not to big that no one ever has capsules(actually, I find the idea of people keeping resources in ingots until directly before use very interesting). Currently, we don't even have ingots for all the minerals. I'm not talking about asteroid guts, I'm talking about stuff like varat and hattel, that aren't in the shield, weapon, or hardener recipes. If you don't know, those things are used to make third effects and stuff like AI and other high level misc stuff.

I think we might need to make ingots a bit heavier. Right now, they weigh 0.05, which is the same as 50 capsules(as far as I can tell) but only costs 5. So if we made it reversible now it would be unacceptable inefficient. I think we should increase the mass to a nice even 1.0, so it's the same as 1000 capsules(It also keeps numbers low, it sorta hurts my eyes to constantly count the zeros of my capsule storages). This is good, though, because we can make it so they now(in my new awsomeverse) cost 1500 or 2000 capsules, then you can hold 50%(1.5x) or 100%(2x) more in ingot format. Considering that you need to do the process and use the power, I think it's acceptable.

I spent way too much time balancing in the OP didn't I?
    And yes, I just noticed that I said weight instead of volume all this time. Whoops. All of that is volume.(I'm to lazy to change all that format)
    The mass of ingots can stay the same, so it's still an acceptable building option.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the 50% option is not worth it.
    +100%, 2x is minimum, but I would go for 3x.

I hope some factory-stuff gets available on ships. Not computer production or more techier things, but refineries.

The Japanese Wale-hunter fleet has hunters and a factory ship which processes the wale directly while it is still in the ocean.
    But they do not make it ready for customers there, just cut it into the right size.

Farmers also do divide crops from holms and do not carry the holms the whole way back - instead they bundle the holms into cylinders.

Reaction score
    I think the 50% option is not worth it.
    +100%, 2x is minimum, but I would go for 3x.

I hope some factory-stuff gets available on ships. Not computer production or more techier things, but refineries.

The Japanese Wale-hunter fleet has hunters and a factory ship which processes the wale directly while it is still in the ocean.
    But they do not make it ready for customers there, just cut it into the right size.

Farmers also do divide crops from holms and do not carry the holms the whole way back - instead they bundle the holms into cylinders.
    As of now, doesn't refining ore increase volume?

I don't know how to balance this, as far as I can tell this hasn't been done before.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As of now, doesn't refining ore increase volume?
    You may separate oil and need more tanks (more tanks = more volume)

But when digging for uran, you can throw away most of the stone (3% uran).

Reaction score
    You may separate oil and need more tanks (more tanks = more volume)

But when digging for uran, you can throw away most of the stone (3% uran).
    I just remember a whole thread about this and how capsules require a container(oil tanks), but also can shed a lot of excess rock(uranium)

You play space engineers.