Deep Space Weapon Effect

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was trying to figure out how to not make this OP but there aren't too many ways around that other than putting some annoying limits on it. The idea behind this effect is it allows the weapon to be fired well outside the normal range by taking advantage of a scanner and jump drives. The enemies in the sector that is fired into will see a jump window open as if there is going to be a ship coming into their sector but instead of a ship it'd be weapons fire. Weapons using this effect would only work on turrets that are docked to something that isn't docked to a homebase or normal ship. The weapons will only function if the root parent entity is a normal station or planet (Planet Plate). So basically you could put the weapons onto a normal ship but for them to function the ship would have to be docked to a station or planet that isn't a homebase.

Deep Space Weapon Computer: Can control any number of Deep Space Weapon Modules and also can have any number of slaved Jump Drive Computers and Scanners, min 1 jump drive and min 1 scanner.

Number of Deep Space Weapon Modules affects the overall reload time, power usage, and strength of the shots fired. Number of Jump Drives and their modules affects number of jumps out shots can be fired at max (Their charge times affect reload time, no charged jump drives, no shots fired).

Number of Scanners and their modules affect the AI's ability to detect targets within the area it can shoot in. This means without a scanner it can't find anything to shoot at, also more effective scanners lead to better odds of shots hitting, least effective is effectively blind firing, most effective is what the AI would normally have for accuracy.

This also has a min range it cannot fire within and that is twice loaded sector range. The reason for this is the weapon can't shoot anything within loaded sector range of the weapon in the fire place but this also makes sure someone can actually get in range to hurt the thing in hopes of disabling it.

Power usage of weapons using this effect at 100% is twice that of what it'd be for if it had Overdrive at 100%. Also keep in mind the jump drives need power to be charged as well before the weapon can even fire at all and they'll charge at a normal rate for if someone was charging them with a mouse. :)

Deep Space Weapon Module: The modules for the Deep Space Weapon Computer.

This effect might be best used on Alpha weapon that have long reload times since having a high firerate weapon could be an issue, but the jump window would be open long enough on a single jump drive and module to get several shots through before it closed. This would effectively turn high firerate weapons into burst fire weapons rather than full auto weapons. Now if you had enough jump drives and modules on them you could get a good firerate going until they had to be recharged.

Now onto what happens when rounds are fired. Basically a jump window opens up in front of the weapon a few blocks ahead of the output groups. On the enemy's end they'd see it open up at about 50% the range of the firing weapon at the closest, so it isn't like it is opening up right next to their hull giving them no time to dodge or in the case of missiles shoot them down. :)

Since this weapon can't be used on things docked to a homebase it eliminates the issue of someone camping at their main base and pestering you with it. Also since it doesn't work on ships that aren't docked to a station or planet this takes out the other issue of someone parking at jump range with a fleet that can move and peppering your base from some ungodly distance you can't do anything about. :) Doesn't stop them from docking said fleet and doing that though but in that case you'd have at least a general idea where the shots were coming from. Also jump windows will only open from the direction weapons fire is coming from and accuracy and randomness of the windows' opening locations are affected by distance greatly.

So if you were on a server with normal jump range it'd be rather easy to fire a target within 8 sectors but what about if the jump range was something ridiculous like say 150 sectors? As I said distance will affect the accuracy of the window locations and with that kind of range unless they are firing lockon missiles it is highly unlikely they'll hit a moving target but the main issue is finding them.

Now to solve this problem as a whole lets just upgrade the scanner computer so it can give you near exact coords of the enemies firing at you and save you the guesswork of randomly jumping so you can retaliate quickly without issues. :) When used if the enemy is firing from within space your faction controls it'll give exact coords, as for firing from outside the system it'll give you a general area of coords but it'll help narrow down the area considerably. Since the cold truth is with enough jump drive computers and modules they could be firing from several galaxies away and rain death down on anyone not paying attention.

The up side though until AI battles in unloaded sectors are implemented this weapon only works if the sector it is firing from is loaded. It can however snipe into unloaded sectors that have been explored providing there is something to shoot moving through that space. Although damage won't likely register until the target hit is loaded again. Hopefully this issue here gets resolved by the devs one day since at the moment it requires both target and firing sectors to be loaded.

As for if a player is trying to use this new type of weapon well it's going to take some changes to the main map and minimap to make it work. Effectively you target sectors just like you would if you were going to jump to them, input the coords into the nav like you would normally and it'll show you if there is something to shoot in the target sector. Basically all you see on your end are blips like you'd see on the minimap giving you a general idea where to fire. Weapons using this effect are best used by the AI because of this but can be used by the player to a deadlier degree if they have someone spotting for them in the target sector. :) While it can be used by a single player this is a two player weapon when in use by a player. :)

So any ideas so far?

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Like many suggestions this is a thing that I would love to have for myself but I would never want to see allowed in the game. This describes most things that are Over Powered. I can't get behind this because I don't think it's possible to prevent abuse regardless of the nerfs you try to work into it.

-Mixed with fleets to guard them these weapons would be a griefer's dream.
    -Making a network of long range weapons that is spread out would get around the minimum range-limit and create No-Fly zones.
    -Snowballing is the real danger. Any player/faction who expands first will be able to entrench and harass at the same time.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Like many suggestions this is a thing that I would love to have for myself but I would never want to see allowed in the game. This describes most things that are Over Powered. I can't get behind this because I don't think it's possible to prevent abuse regardless of the nerfs you try to work into it.

-Mixed with fleets to guard them these weapons would be a griefer's dream.
    -Making a network of long range weapons that is spread out would get around the minimum range-limit and create No-Fly zones.
    -Snowballing is the real danger. Any player/faction who expands first will be able to entrench and harass at the same time.
    The original plan for the min range limit was 1/4th the single jump range. Also it could be restricted further by limiting it to one jump drive computer and scanner instead of 1+. :) But yes it gets OP the greater the base jump range is and greifers would love it a tad much. I'm guessing maybe jump Inhibitors could prevent things jumping into a sector as much as they prevent them from escaping by knocking out the jump drives. So someone could lock down an area with active jump inhibitors to prevent the Deep Space weapons from pounding them into oblivion. Also could make it so admins can setup a system by system selection of where they can and can't shoot. Like say lock the spawn system and several surrounding systems from being able to be fired into or out of by this weapon effect. :)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This sounds awful. Like, I get it, and I get the purpose, but I still found myself asking "Why?"

Beyond all the reasons Lukwan pointed out, just conceptually, why?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    This sounds awful. Like, I get it, and I get the purpose, but I still found myself asking "Why?"

Beyond all the reasons Lukwan pointed out, just conceptually, why?
    I was thinking of something to the effect or Deep Space Artillery at the time and trying to figure out how to set it up. Guessing the effect's passive mode could be to prevent weapons using the active mode from firing into the sector and surrounding sectors. :) The main idea behind it was to allow people to strike down enemy fleets at super long ranges before they showed up on their doorstep.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Plz no galaxy gun.

I just don't see anything good about this. I don't find fighting people that are half a system away fun. It would totally discourage faction warfare (massive tracts of the galaxy could be made to become firestorms as soon as you entered them), it would doubtless cause lag, and it would be a griefers dream come true.

You say it allows a way to destroy people before they get "on your doorstep"? I say we don't need that and should not have that. Space battles are cool. Space mega-range unstoppable death rays that kill ships before there is ever a battle is NOT cool.

I see a scenario where no one builds warships anymore, because every faction is protected by a massive network of these things that make attacking impossible, and because building more of these is FAR cheaper than building an actual warship.