Deep space area to separate star system distances

???

Reaction score
    instead of having the star systems side by side why not make a deep space area with no planets or asteroids in it, and spread the star systems around in it but make them far enough away that it would take a long time to travel between them without a warp drive or a jump gate, it would mean that a faction could easely control one star system because it would be harder for factions in other star systems to attack them also you could add in weird objects to this area like dust clouds and nebulas that can help to hide a fleet as you are ready to attack or fleeing from a fight as well as wormholes and areas where you can find rare materials

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It could also make for some veeery boring trips. Long journeys through the expanses of space, with no autopilot, could bore anybody. However, there is certainly some merit to this idea! If this were implemented, then star systems would become hotly contested as beds of resources. Pirates could hide in the black deserts between systems, and rarely be found. It would definitely add a bit more action to the game. But first, seriously, we need an autopilot.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I want \"fluid space\" and some nebulas from Star-Trek in my sector. I am ready to sacrify 100* 1\'000\'000 ((cheated :))) water blocks for it!

Additional benefit: Explanation for dampening!

For the long trip problem, I appreciate a slip-stream between suns as a shortcut similar to the movie Andromeda.

But with 6 suns, around your star system you need 6 bacons to see intruders just 1 step in front of your door.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of the new effects like nebulas and dust clouds, as well as the idea of scattering out things a bit more. Right now, it\'s just a bunch of different solar systems all clustered right next to each other it seems like

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have an idea. maybe add some kind of jump drive what could be usable only by big ships and with hour reload time bounded to character... And autopilot for those who can\'t build big ships with huge power supplies.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I\'d also like to see the pirate stations in these areas instead of solar systems. Only point I disagree with is the necessity for a warp drive or something like that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is needed, along with larger and less planets in solar systems.

???

Reaction score
    i didn\'t mean you would NEED a warp drive what i ment was it would take a while to travel between star systems without a warp drive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not sure about you guys... but if there were star systems spread out who knows how far, with nothing but empty space and pirates in between..... there had better be more than just autopilot. Lets say speed limit is 200km/h, and instead of stars being I don\'t know.... 30-50km away from each other like now, they were 300-500km away, that would take a long time to get from one to the other. So in my opinion, warp speed or something would be a must.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Assuming there\'s an autopilot (I have a flightstick throttle, so I don\'t have to worry. >:P ) a good amount of space is fine, even without autopilot... Solar systems should take up more space too, so reaching an outer planet from another outer planet may be shorter than reaching a star from another... Besides, if it takes a while to go from system to system, it would feel a little more like flying through space, and less like flying between floating platforms.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Or \"+1\" as others would say.

Once factory Territory and Fatcion points become a thing, this may become an issue maybe? It would depend on how they set up \"Owned sectors\".

Otherwise, I love it. Merely cause of the fact I could venture out to the middle of nowheres between sectors and set up a \"Black market\" of sorts, or just hide from the Drama~.

Other thing to consider though, is how the Spawning area will be set up. Will it be in a Solar system? If so, how will war be handle there, as well as strip mining? If not, How will one reach a solar system?
    And lastly, will Blockcading cause an issue? I.e., someone setting up AI fleets on the warpgates around the spawn (Noob blocking).

Could just be rambling, but it crossed my mind, and I feel ideas as to how that would be handled could be useful o -o Other then that, I love this idea *^*

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Spawn should be on a planet, in a building of some kind. Surrounding the building would be four medium-sized shipyards for building (or spawning) ships to fly out into the Great Unknown with. Blockading could be averted by protecting the sectors near spawn as well as the spawn sector itself, and simply by having halfway-decent moderation.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Canada doesnt Produce pennies anymore! and most other coins are too big *^*

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    +1!! I support this idea but only if a warp drive is added since I do not want to spend hours flying to another system. Also it would be cool to have pirates occupy this larger void and then other critters in the systems. This would provide an insentive, pirate stations, to go into the void.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    +1

Also, in terms of making an economy, how about different systems have different specilaties? For example, one system could have a bouns to refining ores (so those recipes use less power and/or go faster) and another could have far better resources but penalties to any factories in it. Basically encourge trade by creating surpluses in one area and needs in another.