Custom skins for NPCS?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd love to be able to load custom skins on to my NPC, a station full of Daves is just plain boring.

I've done up a bunch of custom skins, like security Dave, customs officer Dave, waitress Daisy, and doctor Daisy just to name a few, and would love to have them wandering around my station until they can actually do their intended jobs.

How about it? Can this be done?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I'd love to be able to load custom skins on to my NPC, a station full of Daves is just plain boring.

I've done up a bunch of custom skins, like security Dave, customs officer Dave, waitress Daisy, and doctor Daisy just to name a few, and would love to have them wandering around my station until they can actually do their intended jobs.

The Daves all pull their skin from one png. You can only have one type of NPC excluding Trader Guild NPC

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The Daves all pull their skin from one png. You can only have one type of NPC excluding Trader Guild NPC
    Which is why this is in a suggestion thread ;)

I agree, and would be nice if all the items could be used for a basic character creation menu when you first connect to the server :)

Reactions: wolfboyft

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, i would say so. I once used a java decompiler and looked at the games source searching for admin commands, hidden parameters and stuff and stumbled upon the method that is used to give the NPC Dave his skin.
    It utilizes a simple if statement that checks if the NPC's faction is -2 (trading guild) then it redirects to the trader skin folder. This can be used for so much more. As example add 'else if' and check if the NPC is a Pirate => Black/Brown/dirty/Red Pirate skin.

Or go even further and check if it has a .smskin file path attached to it and redirect to that.

schema plz for the next update. Those are 'just' a few lines of code and they need to be expanded asap!

Reaction score
    ... community voting for npc characters added to the game based upon community submissions?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hell, I'd settle for a /load_npc_skin command or something to that effect. Doesn't have to be fancy, just would like to populate my server with more than 2 types of Daves.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Having the server administration to upload said skins for different uses and varieties would be cool too.

Reactions: Zaphord
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Having the server administration to upload said skins for different uses and varieties would be cool too.
    That's exactly what I'd like to see.

Imagine having faction uniforms for all your Daves?:cool: cool as hell.

An option to set an npc as a shop keep would be nice too. I'm sure there's a way to cheat it, but just being able to tick a check box would be so much easier.

Last edited:

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    That's exactly what I'd like to see.

Imagine having faction uniforms for all your Daves?:cool: cool as hell.

An option to set an npc as a shop keep would be nice too. I'm sure there's a way to cheat it, but just being able to tick a check box would be so much easier.
    Indeed. When I used to run my own faction, I even had made uniforms with the logo stamped on the arms. Would be great to see the Daves using it back then.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Now I'll have to do a Working Joe skin from Alien: Isolation with the glowing red eyes to creep people out :p.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    So now we're encroaching on animated skins... Cylon Centurions have roving eyes after all...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So now we're encroaching on animated skins... Cylon Centurions have roving eyes after all...
    Animated skins would be cool, but then again, I'm not sure if it's an easy thing to do. I'd be fine with just being able to change the skins on my Daves.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yes, that would be nice. Not everyone runs around in a trading guild outfit, and so it makes no sense that my crew would be identical to the TG and such.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Makes it EVEN harder to tell the difference between humans and skinjob Cylons :O

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So it's pretty much agreed that the Dave clones could use a little more variety. Still waiting for this to be recognized.