Cubatoms must stay

Reaction score
    I think the cubatom system is brilliant. I now consider myself profficient in the use of them...I spent a good while working out what the markings were, and how to use them together (refining) to to get the traits required for your block recipe...therefore I vote that cubatoms stay as they are, Calbiri, I'm looking at you here :)

Love this game.

Reaction score
    And I would certainly hate for all that to go to waste.

If anything, I\'d like the limits (255 cubatoms) removed and add the ability to refine items in bulk.

However, I would suggest greatly reducing the price of faction modules (And perhaps faction permission modules and hard hull) as they are the greatest source of cubatom abuse.

Reaction score
    Are able to split blocks into cub atoms, and you can then use cub atoms to create other blocks

Reaction score
    The system is currently broken , and allows you to build any block type out of dirt in 3 steps maximum.

Cubatom crafting rules as they are cannot allow a large variety of recipes relying on special ingredients such as ores and intermediate components. The system has to be revamped completely.

The proper way to \"craft\" some blocks with random types of others is to trade them at a shop.

Reaction score
    It is not unrealistic. Most materials are made up of at least two elements, and the system just needs so e balancing in my opinion.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Cubatoms break custom economies; at the very least an option to disable them would be great

Reaction score
    I dont plan on removing cubatoms, the system and the factory system just need an overhaul, I\'d like to combine the two and streamline them into an easier to understand crafting setup.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Neat idea, but really needs a ton of work.

Commenting out every cubatom recipe is ass, for those of us who want a more balanced economy.

A server.cfg option to disable cubatoms would be lovely.

Reaction score
    Brilliant.

After listening to the Q+A last night, I was a little worried that the \"power of the big factions\" may get their way....for some (like myself) who play on small private servers, the economy doesnt need fixing...surely if you want something changed on your server you could mod it? Get someone else to mod it?

For me, splitting blocks, and then the challenge of refining to get what you need is a lot better/more fun than endlessly scooting through the universe emptying all the shops.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    ???

also, guy above me; big factions are going to have more power regardless. maybe instead of complaining you should (git gud)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cubatoms break custom economies; at the very least an option to disable them would be great

Commenting out every cubatom recipe is ass, for those of us who want a more balanced economy.

Ever tried search/replace, maybe with wildcards?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I posted a thread a while back with my idea for a cubatom overhaul. Where the cubatoms would be like a way to create more powerful versions of existing blocks by combining various cubatoms together. The rarer the block the better the cubatoms it will have( L5 ores would have the best cubatoms)

There would possibilities like hull blocks with increased armor ratings/HP AMCs that inherently fire faster or fire more powerful bolts. The possibilities would be endless.

and after you have found a good combination you can produce a blueprint of the item for mass production with factories

Reaction score

Complaining? Please.

And \"get good\"?

Coz yeah, it\'s so much harder to go buying things from shops than to fabricate them from cubatoms...

Do me a favor and stow it.

Reaction score
    Well, just implement a \"device\" similar to that one, that Calbiri\'s avatar picture is displaying.Well, not actually the device from the pic itself, more the machinery surrounding \"it\" ;)

So players won\'t have a built-in cubatom menu, rather a advanced fabricator or stufflike.

Just a few cents :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While the concept of breaking down blocks to craft others is a more-or-less sound one. Cubatoms were poorly designed from the start, both in usability and power. It is too difficult for the neophyte to grasp the system out of the box without someone explaining it to them in detail, but once they understood it, they basically have access to infinite blocks and credits. But thats fine, its alpha/beta mistakes will happen and many ideas that seem good explode when they hit reality.

Should it be ripped out and forgotten? Ehhhhhh maybe.

It boils down to how you want to craft the player experience. Do you want new players to have to build infrastructure and climb tech-trees, or do you want them to land on any planet or asteroid and within a short period of time have the same construction capability as someone who has been playing for a week?

It isn\'t an easy choice, both have their problems.

The first obviously requires a heavy player time and knowlege investment, which, if we are going to use something like Gregtech Hardmode as an example, has a lower player retention rate than regular Gregtech, and even less than plain Ic2. But on the other side, if you have ever gone from 0 to fusion reactor, in HM, you will feel a pretty good sense of accomplishment.

As for the second, which is mostly what we have now, it leads to a somewhat shallow crafting experience; but this puts the emphasis on the construction of ships, which, is certainly the primary selling point of the game at the moment.

Cubatoms, or a system which works very similarly to them, work better with the latter. It may cater more to the artisinal ship builder over the industrial one, (but that is a different and somewhat unrelated problem.) However, they work very poorly with the former. The more in-depth you want your crafting and infrastructure system, the more difficulty you will have balancing it. The power to craft anything from anything is very powerful, to the extent of negating every other resource once it has been reached. To reference Ic2 again, it was for this very reason that UU matter has been nerfed again and again since its introduction to the point of near uselessness (even then its better in some cases to mining).

So in the end, If you are going to add things like shipyards, drydocks, more in-depth crafting and industry system, cubatoms or a system like them will be poison and you will be struggling to keep them from breaking down the system or being relevant to it.. But, if you aren\'t going to change things much from how they work now and leave resourcing your ships a relativley simple thing, Cubatoms are pretty much fine the way they are with a bit of reworking to get rid of infinite loops and make it less arbitrary and more user-friendly.

Reaction score
    It\'s a cool little system, but it definitely needs some explanation. It really isn\'t that difficult to understand once you\'ve played around with it, it\'s just graphically and informationally intensive at first glance, no explanation, no mouse-overs - nothing, so the immmediate reaction is \"WTF is this!?!?\" You don\'t even need to learn the relationship regarding adding a certain characteristic to another characteristic, and what it\'ll produce.

One thing that does need to be addressed is the \"OK\" button. No reason for the \"OK\" button to not also include a \"Select Number of Items\" and an \"All\" button. Clicking a button 255 times, and then repeating, is a good way to get carpal tunnel. Increasing the quantity limit to something like 1000 wouldn\'t hurt either.

You should also be able to select a special cubatom when \"Split\" is selected, and then it will show you what other two cubatoms combine to form it. You can work backwards from there. I don\'t see that as dumbing it down or breaking it because items can be fabricated from so many different cubatoms.

The cubatom system gains value when there are certain things you HAVE to build using that system, in order to fabricate something else. This game lacks a \"reason\" to do many things. Even mining dirt blocks should have a use as you can sell some, but you should also be able to refine it down to produce somethign else that is needed in manufacturing. It\'s a good way to get rid of millions of block of inventory of essentially currently useless items. You could get a certain type of ore out of different non-ore blocks and the more \"plain\" or basic a dirt/rock/terrain block is, the more of it is required to produce 1 block of something more valuable. It might take 1000 dirt blocks (or more) to process out one block of a valuable ore. The same thing with the cubatoms. The more base the source block and the more exotic the natural cubatom, the more source blocks are required to produce any number of natural cubatoms. Also, more natural cubatoms should be needed to produce special CAs rather than the current 1 + 1 = 1 ratio. This would also need/appreciate a larger quantity limit than the current 255.

To appease players with no interest in bottom-level crafting, they can get the needed materials from either pirate drops or at reduced quantities and increased prices at the shops, or raid other players for it, or buy it at player owned shops/stations.

Including the \"need\" for players to both use factories AND cubatom manufacturing is a good thing. It creates an economy and a need for more than running around blasting shit. People can get in-game jobs trucking around dirt, ore, ingredients, etc. People can get jobs protecting it, stealing it or blowing it up. People can get jobs manufacturing the components and still others can get jobs transporting goods to personal shops and selling them at a mark-up. Also, different quadrants of space need to be balanced so that you can\'t get all the same special ores in every quadrant, or in every asteroid/planet, even if the planets/asteroids are/look the same. It creates a need to travel and interact with other players and areas of the game. There will be no \"dead noob\" areas where people start the game and then move through different areas, never to return.

EDIT: Also, ALPHABETISE the drop down lists, at the very least. Why wouldn\'t it automatically be alphabetised anyway?? Better yet, the lists could be sorted by item name, cubatom name or block quantity.