Croudsourcing Systems Proportions

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm just going to throw this out there. I'm wondering what sort of systems proportions builders are using as guidelines. What "Sweet spots" have you found?

I try to keep my thrust to mass ratio at or above 1
    Shields: I've been using 1 charger to 4 capacitors. I think that may be too low.
    5% systems are easy. Fully loaded, the system should be 1:20th of your ships blocks... But I haven't really noticed a down side to a smaller proportion.

Do you have a certain power/mass or power to functional role like "battleships get 4 million e in capacitors"

Do you build your power systems, then add utilities and weapons to match, or the other way around? I've been building power systems first, but maybe that's not the best strategy.

Any wisdom to share with your fellow builders?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    There is no "perfect ship design" proportion or ratio, I've found. It depends on what kind of ship role you're looking for.

I, personally, though, will build the power system first, then make a gun that takes up 80% or so of it to fire, then add in thrust and shielding. Shields are a very low priority because I make high speed flying guns under the assumption that they'll kill the enemy first. When I make shields, I tend to do in the neighborhood of 1:20 recharger to capacitor ratio, because if you don't have ridiculously high shielding compared to your other systems in the first place, your recharge won't matter at all.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I do as Azereiah, I build the power system first. I'll usually add any turrets (other than PD) right after as their placement will define much of the rest of the ship. That done I will put down the weapon systems. Then I will build the shape of the ship and fill any interior space I am not reserving for RP space with shield capacitors, thrust modules, etc.. I used to do a one for one shield capacitor to regenerator ratio, but that was when I thought the listed amount of shield regeneration is what we actually got for shield regeneration. It turns out that in fact we get 5-10% of that amount in combat, an amount so small as to effectively make shield regeneration in combat almost useless. Shield regeneration outside of combat is almost moot. Since learning that, I will put in only as many shield regenerators as are necessary to fill the shields in a minute or two out of combat.

Reactions: Wolflaynce

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Someday, someone will make a fleet by which all the ships contained in the fleet were made around the same parameters and proportions, and are all equally effective. I suspect that the news of this event will be buried on page of eleven the forums, however, with the first ten pages taken by the news that Hell has frozen over.

Reactions: Lecic

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I will endever to get my "listed" shield e/sec up to 10% of the total shield strength. This usually works out to about 2 regen blocks for every shield block.

But I've never tested against actual players, probably wouldn't hold up that well anyways.