Creating an AI miner

Reaction score
    I am trying to create a small drone AI miner and have been having trouble. Here are the components:

• ship core
    • salvage computer (appears in the hotlist) (connected to cannons and storage)
    • salvage cannon (connected with salvage computer)
    • storage and cargo space connected)
    • faction module (to add it to my ship list)
    • Reactor and thruster
    When I hit mine this sector the status briefly changes to mining and then to idle. Drone does not move an inch. Create several duplicates and none moves.

Is there some connection or something else that I am missing. The drone does not have any other blocks, as minimal as possible.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    salvage computer should be connected TO the salvage module, salvage module connects to nothing. Your wording made it unclear, as long as the computer has module count in the system list that's not a problem.

Not very familiar with fleets but you may just need to add a bobby ai module to it.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't see an AI module in the list. You will need these in future.
    Salvage computer connected salvage module and storage.
    If you want quick cooldown, add a cannon computer+module slaved to the salvage computer.
    You also need to be in the sector where the asteroids are.

If this is in place and still no joy. Beats me why it's not working. Perhaps a support call to Schine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also make sure there are valid mining targets in your sector (asteroids)
    It will not work on planets or overheating ships

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I am trying to create a small drone AI miner and have been having trouble. Here are the components:

• ship core
    • Reactor and thruster
    When I hit mine this sector the status briefly changes to mining and then to idle. Drone does not move an inch. Create several duplicates and none moves.

Is there some connection or something else that I am missing. The drone does not have any other blocks, as minimal as possible.
    Fleets are severely bugged, don't expect anything to work properly atm. Maybe your miners are too big, that seems to be a common problem.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    First of all, when you plan to use the drones in a fleet you don't need a Bobby AI to be present.

Assuming you linked up all the blocks correctly you should fly to a sector with asteroids present, otherwise there's nothing to mine.

Depending on how long you have the game there could have been a glitch in an update along the way. I had this myself, so if you're in the presence of asteroids and the drones won't mine and you're in single player, you could try to delete the server.cfg file in the StarMade root install folder after you closed the game. It will be rebuild at the next game start and that fixed non working mining drones for me.

Finally make sure the storage is linked to the salvage computer, or no mining will take place either.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    You need to have a flagship which will not mine no matter what, and then your drones which will mine. It took me a while on my first attempt to figure out why my single drone wouldn't do its thing...
    The "flagship" doesn't need to be anything special, I guess a simple core would work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!

• ship core
    • Reactor and thruster

As the others indicated. The miner itself also need a booby AI module, and be sure the storage is connected to the salvage computer, so the salvage computer puts the salvaged units into it. Next step then is, to create a fleet. you need at least two ships in it. A Mothership, that is the first in the list and is marked with an * as such, and the Miner itself. The mothership doesnt do anything, but it is necessary. For testing porpuses you can use a basic ship with faction module, etc. Now you can open the fleet windows with K and use fleet commands on this fleet, especially 'mine this sector', given that you are in a sector with asteroids. But its very buggy. On the server I am currently playing, it is completly useless for mining purposes, since they have extra large asteroids. And drones are generally easiliy confused, to say the least. So better built a bigger mining ship that you steer manually.