Read by Council Council forwarding suggestions from devs

Reaction score
    Are council able to forward ideas from the dev team, for instance get the guys here in suggestions expanding ideas on the captains chair, as this can aid in development of whats to come instead of just what we have.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    They can, but it's extremely limited and has to be authorized before-hand due to non-disclosure agreements. In short, the dev team generally keeps their developments and ideas close to the chest and only occasionally lets an idea slip out. Reason? Probably this: If the dev team releases an idea, but never implements it in the game the exact way they described it, they catch all kinds of flack from the community. It's just easier to keep quiet and let the community bat around their own ideas.

With that said, the dev team has been known to steer the conversation in a direction leading toward where the dev team wants to take a feature.

Reaction score
    In the end its their game, their choices. Doesnt hurt to see what others come up with, and as for something that gets released but is different to how they discribed it, it is difficult to please 100% of the player base. Im just hoping they dont forget the masses who arent on here

Reaction score
    It's more of a control thing, if the Dev team speak at all about what they're doing, and a competing game then implements it?

Doesn't matter how far along the development of the "idea" was, the Dev team suddenly catch a face full of crap from the community for not getting it done, or for "stealing" the idea from the other game that clearly just fecking stole it.

Better to say nothing at all, and tolerate all of us screaming that they never tell us what they're doing, than to be accused of theft by thieves and idiots.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In the end its their game, their choices. Doesnt hurt to see what others come up with, and as for something that gets released but is different to how they discribed it, it is difficult to please 100% of the player base. Im just hoping they dont forget the masses who arent on here
    The game is theirs, but the community content is not. Without community content, this game would be nothing.
    The game belongs to devs, but a big part of the player experience does not.

It's more of a control thing, if the Dev team speak at all about what they're doing, and a competing game then implements it?

Doesn't matter how far along the development of the "idea" was, the Dev team suddenly catch a face full of crap from the community for not getting it done, or for "stealing" the idea from the other game that clearly just fecking stole it.

Better to say nothing at all, and tolerate all of us screaming that they never tell us what they're doing, than to be accused of theft by thieves and idiots.
    This problem also happens if you don't tell anything.
    I had a lot of ideas what to make because I never seen it done. And then when I am half finished, I see someone has done it. This happened 10 times to me (just the times I can remember). Hiding ideas before an implementation is not bad if you do it for a week, but there is much potential wasted just by peoples which independently reinvent the wheel instead of making re-usable modules that can be plugged into own software.

Most of StarMade isn't new, but it exists in a mix that nowhere else exists.
    Many ideas belong as much to a child just thinking while playing other games, but the unique collection, the exact implementation of ideas and artwork like UI belongs to SM devs.

In Germany, you can patent circuits only for 3 years as opposed to the usual 10 years. (the closest physical relative to software)
    In this case, the patent law shouldn't be used to restrict others infinitely from catching up to features, but to allow users/players to purchase early-access to a circuit/feature and save the developers an earning. ( But that doesn't include the development time before patenting it )
    How many software companies (incl shine) would release all 5-years old work?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    We can. Sort of. Basically, if we know about it we'll have to ask the devs first.

What usually happens is that we link the suggestion to the devs and they respond directly to it. If you have specific questions the council Q&A thread is still there for that :D

Reactions: Shaker
    Reaction score
    We can. Sort of. Basically, if we know about it we'll have to ask the devs first.

What usually happens is that we link the suggestion to the devs and they respond directly to it. If you have specific questions the council Q&A thread is still there for that :D
    Well the devs gave some hints as to whats coming, is it worth at times like that to create a post in suggestions to get players to expand on them?

Just trying to come up with ways to get the player base off planets/ammo/fuel topics haha

Reaction score
    Well the devs gave some hints as to whats coming, is it worth at times like that to create a post in suggestions to get players to expand on them?
    That's actually a good idea. Then the councillors wouldn't have to go around quite as often saying that "this or that is planned allready", instead, there'd just be a stickied/pinned thread for "everything that is currently planned."

From there, anything else posted should form up as "so, that's planned, what other possible ways could it be done?"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    TL;DR: Yeah, that's the way it should form up. But it doesn't and it wouldn't work.

I used to think there needed to be a stickied thread as well. Then I thought about how much work it would be to keep it up to date (cuz you know someone will complain if it's 23 seconds out of date). It's probably more work then constantly telling people something is already planned. It's not worth the effort, especially since...

Any one of these would give you an idea of what is planned for the game.

But since every player has a new and unique suggestion that no one could have possibly thought of before (like bubble shields, fuel/ammo, moving the core, sounds, etc), the snowflakes don't bother to put any effort into it. Even if the sticky thread is made, no one will read it. Because they are special and their new suggestion wouldn't be on the list yet.

The information is there, but no one bothers to look.

vvv Hence my tag. vvv

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The information is there, but no one bothers to look.
    When I add tags to my post, I often think WTF because some people use singular "rail" if "rails" already exists - or vice versa.
    These tags contain each other but are not the same code-wise.

Even lower-case and upper-case is different.

There is also no suggestion of similar tags. To get an idea how it can work:
    Somebody uses "post, tag, suggestion, whatever" and if you enter "post" it could suggest "tag, suggestion, whatever". The more often 2 are used together the stronger is the relevance.