Brainstorm This Controllable & Grouped Turrets

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    TL;DR: Let us control groups of turrets as the pilot through a hotbar slot / mode.

To be honest, I hate AI turrets. Yes, turrets are important, correct and realistic, but I do not think that the current AI implementation can deal with factors such as target priority, burst fire, timing and, most prominently, fun.
    There's no tactical thinking involved in letting the AI handle combat (warning: generalisation).

The way I see it, there are two solutions to let players control turrets from inside the mothership as the pilot.

Option 1 - Direct / Twitch-based Controls
    To implement this, all I can personally think of is a dedicated turret / hardpoint control mode parallel to flight mode (which optionally disables ship controls) and activates a free-look perspective with an aiming reticle.
    All turrets will thus follow the crosshair on the GUI.

This turret control mode will be available similar to how weapons computers work already; either drag one into the hotbar to access it as the pilot, or enter it directly to be in charge of only this system.
    To complement this and make micromanaging batteries of turrets less of a pain, let us assign groups to sections of turrets. Link the rails they're docked to to the control computer like you would with any other system.

Remember: This entire suggestion revolves around better, more efficient and badass turret control. Thus, you should be able to choose with which guns to fire at what target whenever you wish, instead of with all at once in uncertainty.

Optional: Each of these turret computers can only ever control a fixed amount of turrets, possibly extensible with enhancers.

---

Option 2 - Improved AI / Lock-on Automated Guidance
    Using the same turret computer and modular grouping mechanics, a more or less automatic system can be put in place. Instead of live input guidance (i.e., using mouse) the process might work as follows:

First step: Build your turrets and group them with this new computer.
    Second step: Assign the group's computer to a hotbar slot, like any other system. Assign as many groups as necessary, fill hotbar accordingly. Same as before up to now.

As a pilot: Using left-click, activate full-auto mode. The turrets will engage anything within their parameters (and hopefully only cone-of-sight). You can leave this group alone and it will do its thing, say, point-defence.

Using right-click, activate semi-auto mode. The turrets will engage what you have locked on and require a constant feed of new targets. You can leave them alone while they are active, but once the target is destroyed, the turrets revert to standby.

Complementary to this option will be new AI parameters. AI will only ever engage targets within their target spectrum as dictated by these parameters. These may include ship mass, ship dimensions, distance, relative speed, armament, shield status or simple return fire commands.

This will keep AI as viable as it is, but better, yet allows full control over your weapons systems.

---

Both of these solutions would ask for a number of more considerate design decisions:
    • proper view port placement to reduce blind spots (disregarding that you can zoom out from anywhere)
    • crew; will you sacrifice mobility to assume turret control as a pilot or trust gun control to someone else, but retain manoeuvrability?
    • turret coverage or armour?
    • linking / grouping of turret batteries to function as units (to get maximum benefit of the (optional) limited computer capacity)
    • in-combat decision making to pick the right battery for a certain threat
    • proper f'n broadsides

All this doesn't necessarily make poor Bobby obsolete, though. AI can be utilised with diminishing returns; all turret AIs will have to be linked to the turret computer, but the more you add and the closer you come to the limit, the worse their aim and reaction time will become.

I'm sure there's more to say here, so feel free to discuss and brainstorm this.

Cheers
    Skull

Thanks for the brainstorming so far.

Edit: Changed the format and excluded rambling. Added some elaboration, which included rambling.
    Edit 2: Felt obliged to clean this up a tiny bit after a recent bump. Didn't add anything, leaving it to the active people to elaborate on this.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    All turrets? Even the PD ones?
    That is why AI would still be able to control them. On a capital where you need a lot of PD coverage, you will most likely also have enough space to put a few more computers to stay below that aim fall-off threshold for AI-controlled turrets.

What I'm suggesting is that the most viable and natural go-to option would be player control. Just making both equally viable without any drawbacks would just leave matters as they are, because everyone will just lean back and enjoy the AI fireworks.

Reactions: BlokeWithHat

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Personally I would like to see a block that allows a player to enter and remotely pilot (but not undock) a turret from the mothership, this would encourage co-op ship piloting with one player being the pilot and others being gunners, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally I would like to see a block that allows a player to enter and remotely pilot (but not undock) a turret from the mothership, this would encourage co-op ship piloting with one player being the pilot and others being gunners, etc.
    You can design a turret so that's it's accessible without getting exposed to fire, and design you ship so that you can reach the turrets from inside.

That is why AI would still be able to control them. On a capital where you need a lot of PD coverage, you will most likely also have enough space to put a few more computers to stay below that aim fall-off threshold for AI-controlled turrets.

What I'm suggesting is that the most viable and natural go-to option would be player control. Just making both equally viable without any drawbacks would just leave matters as they are, because everyone will just lean back and enjoy the AI fireworks.
    AMS will really become ineffective if we have to rely on other players to man it for us.

Anyway, I don't think by default you should be able to control all turrets directly from a station. Instead, it should be that a builder needs to set of turrets, whether those are BOBBY (and won't be able to do any priorization or stuff) or are player/NPC controlled.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    AMS will really become ineffective if we have to rely on other players to man it for us.

Anyway, I don't think by default you should be able to control all turrets directly from a station. Instead, it should be that a builder needs to set of turrets, whether those are BOBBY (and won't be able to do any priorization or stuff) or are player/NPC controlled.
    One of us is missing a point here.
    Just to clarify (I hope my talking too much helps at least a little):

AI can still control turrets, which will be particularly useful for point-defence systems. No need to involve players here. The only drawback of this is that computers can only handle a certain amount of turrets at once. The more you add, the worse AI will act and react. If you spread the load of turrets over enough computers, the drawback can be worked around, but then you will need to 'waste' space on, e.g., your bridge for computers.

Turrets can only be controlled in limited amounts from any given station. Not all turrets will be fixed to one. This will allow to engage particular threats with a particular set of turrets. Example: Rapid-fire cannons vs. fighters, missiles vs. capitals. This is exactly my problem: All turrets automatically target one ship, no matter what it is. Why waste missile reload time on a fighter when a few well-placed cannon shots are enough to scare it off? You can add these sets of turrets to the hotbar for access as the pilot. Again, no need to involve players. Drawback: You will have to give up ship control. No risk, no reward.
    Also, why would turrets of one side of the ship turn and engage a target that is on the other side, blocked by hull? Select the left side to engage left-hand side targets, right side for right-hand side. Bonus: Have another player with you to cover both sides at once.

Yes, you could bring enough players to man each and every turret directly, but that is simply not realistic. Group them as batteries and link them to computers instead.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like this idea, kinda.
    The ability to activate and deactivate turrets is one I want to see, and controlling turrets manually from flight mode sounds fun.
    But it is also somewhat implemented in game (Selected Target option) and as you will find, manually targeting ships is very, very, very hard. That's why you see lock on missiles, swarmers, and turrets as the main pvp weaponry. Cannons and beams are just too hard to aim.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    There's definitely plans for players to be able to control turrets through another means than having to run over to the core and jump in. Can't confirm exactly what this would look like just yet.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Love this:
    To implement this, all I can personally think of is a dedicated turret control mode parallel to flight mode which disables ship controls and activates a free-look perspective with an aiming reticle. All turrets will thus follow the crosshair on the GUI.
    This turret control mode will be available similar to how weapons computers work already; either drag one into the hotbar to access it as the pilot, or enter it directly to be in charge of only this system.
    Each of these turret computers can only ever control a fixed amount of turrets, possibly extensible with enhancers.

This would ask for a number of more considerate design decisions:
    • proper view port placement to reduce blind spots (disregarding that you can zoom out from anywhere)
    • crew; will you sacrifice mobility to assume turret control as a pilot or sacrifice versatility to shed gun control but retain manoeuvrability?
    • better armouring of blind spots
    • linking of turret batteries to function as units to get maximum benefit of the limited computer capacity
    • in-combat decision making to pick the right battery for a certain threat
    • proper f'n broadsides
    Absolutely abhor this:
    All this doesn't necessarily make poor Bobby obsolete, though. AI can be utilised with diminishing returns; all turret AIs will have to be linked to the turret computer, but the more you add and the closer you come to the limit, the worse their aim and reaction time will become.
    Just leave BOBBY alone and leave it functional and add the cool way to control turrets. I would also like to see a computer (outside the core) that can control the turrets, or control a specific turret or group of turrets. The advantage of human control over AI control is intelligence. AI can do all right, but it isn't creative. Humans will always have an edge in everything besides sheer precision, and in starmade they may not even have much advantage in precision.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree with valiant. I desperately want a computer that can group turrets and allow control from the cockpit, and I've thought about this sort of thing before.

How I understand your proposal is that the A.I. will mind their programming when you aren't controlling the group, and then follow your orders when you take direct control of that group. There is a soft cap in how many turrets can be linked to the same group that makes each individual turret after a certain point less effective when the player tries to take direct control of that group, and this takes the form of loss of accuracy and increased latency before the turrets respond. But a turret doesn't have to be linked to a group to function with AI, and wouldn't by default?

Personally, I would leave off the latency/reaction time debuff; on a server ping will serve fine to ensure you weren't aiming at the correct spot anyway (by the time the server gets your command to aim along this trajectory, the target that was on that trajectory will probably have moved, from the servers point of view.*) But maybe the accuracy rebuff is justified if only to increase the chances of hitting the target after adjusting for ping.

Might I also suggest that these control computers be used to modify the AI settings of turrets in that group? (Especially adding functionality such as setting a mass range and/or filter by type system to allow us to dictate "this group should focus on fighters and that one on turrets on large craft" and switch between missile/any/astronaut modes) As well as order a group to "fire at this entity" like the selected entity function does now rather than exclusively telling them to fire along a trajectory?

*(One way we can beat ping/lag, though, is having clients output the target and block coordinates (the block might not exist anymore server side!) on the target the player is aiming for in the client. Even with lag, then, the server knows you weren't aiming off into space along some dumb trajectory but that you had an objective. if the target is still in line of sight of your guns when the server gets the message, then fire at that spot, otherwise fire on a trajectory as close as possible to that one. Seriously, lag steals your kills and gets you killed.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I desperately want a computer that can group turrets and allow control from the cockpit
    All my rambling for such an easy statement.

How I understand your proposal is that the A.I. will mind their programming when you aren't controlling the group, and then follow your orders when you take direct control of that group. [...] But a turret doesn't have to be linked to a group to function with AI, and wouldn't by default?
    Yes, almost. 'Minding their programming' is exactly what I detest. Want to sneak up on someone? Nope, turrets.
    What I meant was that AI doesn't even have to be built into the turret at all. Just link the core or any other viable block to the turret computer in your control room and drag that into the hotbar using the T menu.
    But your idea is better, see your last quote below.

Personally, I would leave off the latency/reaction time debuff; on a server ping will serve fine to ensure you weren't aiming at the correct spot anyway (by the time the server gets your command to aim along this trajectory, the target that was on that trajectory will probably have moved, from the servers point of view.*) But maybe the accuracy rebuff is justified if only to increase the chances of hitting the target after adjusting for ping.
    It's important to understand that I do not want to force a certain behaviour onto turrets and players, but rather open up an entirely new possibility of ship and combat interaction we do not have right now. PD is useless without AI, but I've already seen ships with what felt like two hundred PD stations. No missile would ever get through that. By implementing a softcap you'd indirectly create blindspots (unless the ship is cleverly designed) which can be exploited by pilots (unless they are stupidly horrid).

Might I also suggest that these control computers be used to modify the AI settings of turrets in that group? (Especially adding functionality such as setting a mass range and/or filter by type system to allow us to dictate "this group should focus on fighters and that one on turrets on large craft" and switch between missile/any/astronaut modes) As well as order a group to "fire at this entity" like the selected entity function does now rather than exclusively telling them to fire along a trajectory?
    I like this. It limits the target spectrum of turrets (1 mass above the threshold and the turret won't engage?), but is a much better version of what we have already and would only apply to fully automatic turrets, right?

How about this, then:
    Second step: Assign the group's computer to a hotbar slot.
    As a pilot: Using left-click, activate full-auto mode. The turrets will engage anything within their parameters (and hopefully only cone-of-sight). You can leave this group alone and it will do its thing, say, point-defence.
    Using right-click, activate semi-auto mode. The turrets will engage what you have locked on and require a constant feed of new targets. You can leave them alone while they are active, but once the target is destroyed, the turrets revert to standby.

This will keep AI as it is, probably even better, but allows full control over your weapons systems.

To be honest with you folks, I'm fine with anything as long as I get to control my turrets. If I had a say in it, I'd personally go for direct control via HUD and a reticle, but I'm equally fine with a semi-automatic lock-on mechanic. Better: Let us have both. Just let me choose with which turrets to engage what, and when.

Just leave BOBBY alone and leave it functional and add the cool way to control turrets.
    This, then.

Reactions: ltmauve

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My Display Module Ideas covers a possible way of having player-controlled turrets from within the main ship.

Shameless self-advertisement because why not... :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about this, then:
    Second step: Assign the group's computer to a hotbar slot.
    And if you enter the computer itself, you get direct control. You can also stick one of your NPC team in them to give you the ability to set a target but still keep the turrets going once the target is gone.
    Also double right-click resets the orientation of turrets.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There's definitely plans for players to be able to control turrets through another means than having to run over to the core and jump in. Can't confirm exactly what this would look like just yet.
    i suggest you to use the up and down arrow :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Want to sneak up on someone? Nope, turrets.
    With them linked to a computer in the ship, we can then order them to hold fire/deactivate!

As well, I would permit players to use as many AMS turrets/measures as they want short of a server docked entities/turrets limit (And I don't like limits by default, of course); adopting a strategy that is valid already, such as defending yourself against missiles with AMS systems, is a valid form of warfare in my book. Your enemies are capable of adopting counter-strategies, after all, such as switching out their missile systems for cannons, beams, or warhead torpedoes, or close-range brawling/hit-and-run and firing from extremely close ranges where AMS turrets can't react. or if they're really, really dumb they might try MOAR MISSILEZ, I guess. They aren't becoming invincible by any means, they're just adopting a strategy that gives them an edge, a fair one since other modes of attack still exist, when confronted with their enemies' strategy.

Reactions: BlokeWithHat
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Just some summaries/thoughts:
    - Manual control over turrets.
    --- Control a certain group of turrets from a computer. Turrets aim where my crosshair goes.
    ----- Sure that a human player can do certain stuff better, but if AI has better parameters for target priority I don't really see this as a competitive option, unless manned turrets have some kind of buff. Which in turn would need balancing.

- Parameters.
    --- For the strategy part, turret AI definitely needs more options/parameters/preferences for what to target.
    ----- Mass/Shields/Power/etc. (ranging from/more than/less than)
    --- This is imo the most needed for AI. Titans with some hundred of turrets, all aiming for that little buzzer instead of the other Titan another few hundred meters away. Heh.

- Fun.
    --- While there most certainly is something special about leaning back and watching stuff explode, it can also as mentioned feel very boring. Turrets and sneak also doesn't really cooperate currently.
    ----- Sneaky shouldn't be too hard with the new Wifi logics if AI could be turned off and on from Ship Remotes?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    ----- Sneaky shouldn't be too hard with the new Wifi logics if AI could be turned off and on from Ship Remotes?
    Actually, maybe this would be controlled using the turret computer groups?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    However you wish!
    Logic directly to AI, logic to Turret Computer Group. Both seem suitable.

Reaction score
    I say we have a block that's connectable to any dockable block (rail, turret, etc) and controls all the turrets up the docking chain.

Namable, goes in your hotbar, click to turn on/off, or use the f key to make the turrets in that chain target stuff separate from other turret chains.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    If implemented correctly, this would make a lot of sense. Turrets have been needing a better targeting system for a long time, and the possibility of being able to take control of turrets when main weapons are not an option would probably make piloting bigger ships a lot more fun.
    I mean, especially since larger ships turn so slow, piloting one during a battle often becomes 90% trusting your turret's AI/crew to do the job while you try to get something to shoot w/ the main weapons. With a system like what you proposed, the pilot could just start swtiching between the main guns and turrets to shoot stuff, and that would definitely be more fun than sitting around turning.
    This actually remembers me of that upcoming game, Dreadnought. If something like that was implemented here (pretty much what you suggested), piloting Titans and whatnot (or just being a crew in one) would just gain a 900% awesomeness boost! Tough I think the pilot should still be able to move the ship while controlling turrets.
    Add in the alternative semi-auto mode you mentioned (to enable better "multitasking" w/ the turrets) and configurable AI parameters, and I don't think turrets could get any better :P