Constructing ships, it must be less painful

Reaction score
    So - I tried to set up a factory complex that would create my 1.2 k mass ship without having to open factories until my brain hurts.

What I did was used Megacrafter127 's mod to see how much resources I needed. I mined them.

Then I set up a storage, for each type of item needed for the blueprint (47in total). This storage would pull the amount of resources from the refinery to produce the specific amount of that item. I had a button produce a signal that lasted long enough to ensure all storages had done 1 pull, so that no items are over/underused.

Then I had factories use the resources out of those storages, a factory for each type of item of course. I let them chug down the items until they had placed them in the shipyard.

For items that needed more than one step to produce, I had to have a separate factory wall to produce said items first before producing the final product.

When producing items that had the same intermediate used more than once, the raw resources had to be split up with storages before pulling them into the factories. This is because the intermediates are not used in equal amounts in the recipes such as crystal armour and grey standard armour, where alloyed metal mesh is used in a ratio of 1:11.

This constructed the ship very quickly compared to manually looking at the blueprint and producing bit by bit what is needed, however it had a lot of bad sides:
    1. It missed out some blocks, do not know how, probably some intermediate items in the factories got stuck somewhere.
    2. It took an insane amount of time to make. 8 hours for me.
    3. Low applicability. If you alter a blueprint slightly, chances are you're going to have to more or less reconfigure the whole factory complex. You also have to set it up again (another 8 hours), if you want to mass produce more than one type of ship.

Here is how my factory complex looked like:

I really wish there was some way to make it less cancer to make ships in this game. I would like a system where the shipyard tells factories and controls what is produced and makes sure there is no under/overflow of items being produced. It should tell you what resources it needs, and you need to factories, but to set it up needs to be easier, this is ridiculous.

I want to mine, I want to set up factories to make my ship in less than 8 hours, then I want the shipyard to do the rest of the work, not me!

PVP used to happen a lot more last year - before the blueprint update. The fact that it's so painfully annoying to build a ship makes it so that people are really not wanting to take risks with their spaceships. This is also why you probably have seen a sever decrease in faction activity in the factions subforum since 1-1.5 years ago.

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    This is also why you probably have seen a sever decrease in faction activity in the factions subforum since 1-1.5 years ago.
    The more likely reason is because everyone is bored of a game with no gameplay and yet constant updates that ruin ships. Everyone is bored of servers resetting and having to start again. Everyone is bored of the constant bitching and arguing.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I guess it's because I played Minecraft first that I don't see the issue ( build a ship in survival ). In Starmade I just hook up my factory to all my storage and build one part of the ship at a time. IE: I mass produce black and white armor until it's not needed. I don't mind overflow because I know I'm going to build ships later using similar parts. My shipyard is as follows: Yard < Storage <> Factories

It would seem the complexity comes from the desire to mass produce a single ship type. Outside of that it would seem to be much easier to just switch a handful of factories to produce the next item needed instead of dealing with the rewiring of that system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I really hope they add a FILL BLUEPRINT button so you can just go to a shop and it will buy all the stuff needed without going back and forth looking at the blueprint a hundred times.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    So - I tried to set up a factory complex that would create my 1.2 k mass ship without having to open factories until my brain hurts.

What I did was used Megacrafter127 's mod to see how much resources I needed. I mined them.

Then I set up a storage, for each type of item needed for the blueprint (47in total). This storage would pull the amount of resources from the refinery to produce the specific amount of that item. I had a button produce a signal that lasted long enough to ensure all storages had done 1 pull, so that no items are over/underused.

Then I had factories use the resources out of those storages, a factory for each type of item of course. I let them chug down the items until they had placed them in the shipyard.

For items that needed more than one step to produce, I had to have a separate factory wall to produce said items first before producing the final product.

When producing items that had the same intermediate used more than once, the raw resources had to be split up with storages before pulling them into the factories. This is because the intermediates are not used in equal amounts in the recipes such as crystal armour and grey standard armour, where alloyed metal mesh is used in a ratio of 1:11.

This constructed the ship very quickly compared to manually looking at the blueprint and producing bit by bit what is needed, however it had a lot of bad sides:
    1. It missed out some blocks, do not know how, probably some intermediate items in the factories got stuck somewhere.
    2. It took an insane amount of time to make. 8 hours for me.
    3. Low applicability. If you alter a blueprint slightly, chances are you're going to have to more or less reconfigure the whole factory complex. You also have to set it up again (another 8 hours), if you want to mass produce more than one type of ship.

Here is how my factory complex looked like:

I really wish there was some way to make it less cancer to make ships in this game. I would like a system where the shipyard tells factories and controls what is produced and makes sure there is no under/overflow of items being produced. It should tell you what resources it needs, and you need to factories, but to set it up needs to be easier, this is ridiculous.

I want to mine, I want to set up factories to make my ship in less than 8 hours, then I want the shipyard to do the rest of the work, not me!

PVP used to happen a lot more last year - before the blueprint update. The fact that it's so painfully annoying to build a ship makes it so that people are really not wanting to take risks with their spaceships. This is also why you probably have seen a sever decrease in faction activity in the factions subforum since 1-1.5 years ago.
    By Elric's scars ! Your factories seem so complicated !
    I have 5 groups of factories on my stations/bases. 1 of each type (basic, standard and advanced) in each group. 1 group produces items 1 by 1. The other 10 by 10, the next 100 by 100 and so on.

Then its sorted automatically in my storages and i only need to look in the proper storage to fill my blueprints. Or i just clique that button on the shipyard computer (linked to my storages) if i'm using it to spawn my ships...

Reaction score
    By Elric's scars ! Your factories seem so complicated !
    I have 5 groups of factories on my stations/bases. 1 of each type (basic, standard and advanced) in each group. 1 group produces items 1 by 1. The other 10 by 10, the next 100 by 100 and so on.

Then its sorted automatically in my storages and i only need to look in the proper storage to fill my blueprints. Or i just clique that button on the shipyard computer (linked to my storages) if i'm using it to spawn my ships...
    Yeah I do almost exactly what you do now, that method gets the job done quickest nowadays.

Thing is, if I want to produce a new ship, it doesn't have the exact blocks usually what I have in my storages, it makes it so that I need to produce many new ones, along with mining for what the new ones need to be made of, then I have to manage all of them to make sure that I haven't produced too many of a certain block, because then there won't be enough resources for the others that use the same resource.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450725858,1450725685][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The more likely reason is because everyone is bored of a game with no gameplay and yet constant updates that ruin ships. Everyone is bored of servers resetting and having to start again. Everyone is bored of the constant bitching and arguing.
    That too,
    I've been playing mostly as a single man faction pirate on numerous servers over the past 1.5 years. People nowadays generally just home base camp all day, don't take any risks. Of course there are some fun people who actually fight, but it's a lot more rarer in my experience.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450725923][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I really hope they add a FILL BLUEPRINT button so you can just go to a shop and it will buy all the stuff needed without going back and forth looking at the blueprint a hundred times.
    I would really love that, a good way to improve the buying of ships with shops. Personally I like to be self sustainable and don't get too involved with shops, but would still be a really good feature.

Reaction score
    My setup is basic, everything pulls into one box, 3 factories and one refinery pull out of that main box and then the box pulls back out of them. I have a large chunk of factory enhancers I can link whichever one I'm using. Then my shipyards pull from the main box and the box pulls from the shipyards. Everything has lots of cargo room.

I do have to manually go to the factory and set it to build what I need for the project then stop it once I have enough, but I can't see how this could be automated unless the factories and shipyards were made to work together. Like perhaps if the factories were connected to the shipyard they would act as a slave that only makes the stuff the shipyard is trying to pull.

If your ship is taking 8hrs to build then you either don't have enough cargo room somewhere, or you need more factory enhancers.

Reaction score
    I think factories should directly work with shipyards. If the shipyard computer is linked to a factory it should be able to automatically set production for that factory and start building the required parts. This would make the tedium of checking factories non existent. Also it would be nice if you could set up a queue for the factory and it produces X amount of goods and then stops. Imagine if you could set it the same way you set filters on your storage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I guess it's because I played Minecraft first that I don't see the issue ( build a ship in survival ). In Starmade I just hook up my factory to all my storage and build one part of the ship at a time. IE: I mass produce black and white armor until it's not needed. I don't mind overflow because I know I'm going to build ships later using similar parts. My shipyard is as follows: Yard < Storage <> Factories

It would seem the complexity comes from the desire to mass produce a single ship type. Outside of that it would seem to be much easier to just switch a handful of factories to produce the next item needed instead of dealing with the rewiring of that system.
    I played minecraft also. There is no survival currently in this game compared to minecraft. Minecraft you actually have creatures come after you. You get hungry, there is a story line if you choose to follow it. So what you are left with in this game is multi-player. There seems to be a lot less people on than when I started. As other said some are upset with the changes going on. hopefully they come back when the game is more finished. But hey that's the risk with game that isn't complete.

Reaction score
    I think factories should directly work with shipyards. If the shipyard computer is linked to a factory it should be able to automatically set production for that factory and start building the required parts. This would make the tedium of checking factories non existent. Also it would be nice if you could set up a queue for the factory and it produces X amount of goods and then stops. Imagine if you could set it the same way you set filters on your storage.
    That would be cool!!!!!

I played minecraft also. There is no survival currently in this game compared to minecraft. Minecraft you actually have creatures come after you. You get hungry, there is a story line if you choose to follow it. So what you are left with in this game is multi-player. There seems to be a lot less people on than when I started. As other said some are upset with the changes going on. hopefully they come back when the game is more finished. But hey that's the risk with game that isn't complete.

Yeah I play creative right now simply because the only aspect to non creative is gathering ore. :p

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Solution
    1. Let a blueprint automatically pull items when put into a factory output.
    2. Output all factories into that single factory block.
    3. Let all factories produce on demand.
    Workaround:
    1. Let 11 storages pull from a fac output if empty
    2. Let the factory produce if empty
    3. use these 11 storages as input for the 1 final item.
    And use a logic-counter to count final products.​

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm the setup I'm working with is infinitely less Comcast than yours is. For storages I have a single Resource storage, a Scrap storage, and an Everything Else Storage. Also I've got a storage for ships coming and going to load or offload items. :P

Now as for the factories themselves I'm still kinda working on the layout but the general idea is they are grouped by what they are making and by default always make just enough to satisfy their quota and anything that is also using what they are making.

Reaction score
    I haven't gotten to the point of actually building ships with all sorts of assorted decorative components in them, or even building huge ships.
    (Besides creative building, it's: update, restart, play some, get a decent sized ship, beat a pirate station or two, update...)
    What I recently found helpful is having factories set up with the associated item next to them, and a big stack of enhancers+some cargo space to assign to each one. You're gonna have a hard time trying to build EVERYTHING, however.
    hmm the setup I'm working with is infinitely less Comcast than yours is
    hey watch your mouth
    we don't just go around using words like that

(/s):p