Communications Networks

Reaction score
    I would really like to see something like Mumble 3d positional audio be incorporated into the game. People will always use whatever VOIP they want outside the game, but having one as part of the game allows strangers to communicate easily via voice.

I have so many ideas about how these communications networks should work, but it basically boils down to us having 3 types of networks....

1. Proximity network. Everyone that is close together can join in the same network. Or even multiple networks. This would essentially be a wireless network between spacesuits, ships & stations. Maybe 1km range.

2. Long range network. Ships and stations would have larger communications equipment, therefore they would get a longer range, extending into the next system.

3. Laser line network. Stations can construct a laser line network by adding laser nodes at each end. It would be similar to the current warp gates, being strictly a point to point connection, and having to set them up manually at each end.

The three networks would all work together. So for example if you were floating close to your ship, you could piggy back on the ships long range network to connect to a station in the system, which relays the signal down the laser line across the universe, so you can talk to a friend who's ship is in range of the other end of the laser line.

Nothing about the network would be overly complicated, the game would automatically connect and disconnect when the network comes in and out of range. Showing the ships/stations/people on the network as they become available. Private networks would have to be worked in somehow, allowing factions or groups to encrypt their communications, but the communications would not entirely be hidden, people would still see network traffic, they just couldn't see who is talking or what is being said.

Other things that could possibly be done with a system like this is building actual probes that search out enemy signals and relay them back for analysis. Setting up satellites or stations to extend the network range. Sending out cloaked relay ships in a daisy chain to extend the network discretely. Possibly even having unmanned scout probes with the ability to send back live video via the network. Hacking enemy networks?

Another thing that could be done with mumble integration would be a ships intercom. Place intercoms around your ship and then bark out orders from the bridge. Instead of the voices coming to your helmet, the voice would sound like its coming from the intercoms speaker. Even better with a camera feature that sent video as well, how amazing would it be to see your captain on screen screaming about imminent attack while you're in engineering flipping switches, only to have the picture cut out abruptly and hear a explosion in the direction of the bridge.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't know.... it seems kind of cool, but definitely about as low on the priority list as it gets.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I like the idea of small, local networks for voice-com. On a server with many players the chatter can be obnoxious. Small build-teams and faction-navies in combat would both benefit from a private com-channel. The chat options are helpful for keeping the text-chat under control.

Reaction score
    The problem is that people will go "I don't want special blocks on my station!" "I'm too cheap for this" and then go use some other chat system.

Reaction score
    The problem is that people will go "I don't want special blocks on my station!" "I'm too cheap for this" and then go use some other chat system.
    Maybe the key is to have the AI using these networks. Sure, you can get your faction on teamspeak or discord, but the AI fleets will only communicate over these networks. So, if a player wants to send out AI fleets and still be able to keep tabs on them, they'll be forced to build the networks.

Could also work in some kind of radar system/ship tracking into the networks. Allowing stations on the network to relay their findings all over the network, so if you're sitting in your main base and a station on the other side of the long laser line sees some pirates, you'll know too.

Reaction score
    Interesting. I've had several ideas on this, including the use of information (Map information; like locations and details on various attributes of things) as a commodity that can be traded, but only through the use of a communications setup like this.

No ridiculous "laser lines", though. However, the power of a transmitter determining its range is reasonable and something else I'd like to say.

What I mean is that a new type of computer to be linked to antennae blocks is needed, one that is used to communicate information or fleet orders or whatever, limited in range based on the size (Not proportionate size, absolute size) of the antenna. This will increase immersion and provide a basis for many interesting and useful mechanics.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would be useful for encouraging npc pilots vs bobby module. The npcs suffer mutiny and the bobby ai dies if your communications is jammed or in other ways disabled. But outside your com network your npcs would not be able to signal their status or whether they are under attack.

Reaction score
    What I mean is that a new type of computer to be linked to antennae blocks is needed, one that is used to communicate information or fleet orders or whatever, limited in range based on the size (Not proportionate size, absolute size) of the antenna. This will increase immersion and provide a basis for many interesting and useful mechanics.
    I was thinking about a similar thing, except instead of using the regular antenna blocks a new one could be added that would add a considerable amount of mass, so putting 1 block on a ship wouldn't weigh it down much, but it wouldn't have anything near the communications range of a station which doesn't have to worry about the extra mass. It would allow big capital ships to have a decent sized antenna array, but at a cost. Initially I thought they should just make the long range communications like the factory blocks which can only be placed on stations/planets, but I feel like that is just a boring and artificial game limitation. There are better ways to balance it.