In Developement Collision Damage

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    I'm sure this has been suggested by someone somewhere before, but just as a thought.
    Why not have collision damage? At the moment there are many players who ram others without any consequences (unless have warheads on either of the 2+ entities).

Damage on hulls when they smash into each other, maybe gradual damage on ships through continuous collision. This would mean that when two ships rammed each other, instead of just getting lag, you would get damage on both sides, which in turn would allow for the cosntruction of rams and allow for example to break a massive hole in a ship by crashing into it at high speeds (which is what would happen if you crashed into something). There would also be aspects to consider such as crumple zones etc if this were to be implemented, and would be quite cool.

Space Engineers already has collision damage mechanics as can be seen from a photo below:

If you are still confused, here is an 'earth-based' example:
    An example. Car A is moving across the road. Car B gets in the way and Car A hits the Car B on the side. Car B will not just be pushed away, but instead, it will be damaged significantly. Yes it would probably be pushed away but it would also have a massive dent it in and sustain serious damage.

Click here if you want to find out the physics behind a car crash, which can also be relevant as the mass or the strength or the armor of a block could determine how far it crumples upon impact

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Last edited:

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There IS collision damage, but it's turned off by default because it's buggy and laggy as hell.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I would say 'Implemented', however it is more or less unusable due to bugs at the moment.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is there an "ultra-low priority" tag?

But yeah, collision damage gets mentioned way too often, and this isn't Space Engineers.

Reactions: terra mining corp.
    Reaction score
    Think of all the calculations and masses of collisions checks that those two colliding ships would be needing in that space engineers pic.
    Now do it for a Starmade ship, that are very often a hundred times the size.

It would be nice if they ever do find a way to make it work, but I wouldn't mind at all if they just gave up on this one. not an easy thing at all to do and even the most optimised system possible will probably still do horrible things to a server if the crash is between titans.

Being able to make a ramming ship though, with a siege missile tube in the blade... That would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Collision damage exists but is disabled by default. Last time I tried it, a 2 m/s collision was enough to destroy entire ships. Landing on a planet without exploding and dying was basically impossible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    man you people are trying to make this TO much like space engineers, collisions are fine as they are now "Off as a default" they cause way to many problems in Space engineers ( i know this for a fact ) and they cause way to much trouble in here since AIs love to get close or Ram you accidentally.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    This is unbelievably stupid, every time someone brings this rubbish up along with breathing air. If you want to play space engineers then go play space engineers; you wont be missed.

As an X3 veteran i've spent far too much time cleaning up after ai fighters trying to fly out of a hangar while the carrier is turning, crashing into jumpgates, freighters colliding at warp in when coming out of jump gates, and that game has MUCH better ai flying than starmade, where the ai cant even find it's way around a damn planet. If you slap this crap in starmade it'll kill the fleet system in its infancy, along with any interest in carriers, and that's saying nothing about the extra performance cost in this; go rub two ships together and see what happens to your fps.

What is the point of this, is the big issue. Why should we want this collision damage in the game? And don't fucking say immersion or realism; starmade is immersive for completely different reasons, and realism is garbage for game design. Starmade is not a physics sandbox, stop trying to turn it into one.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    This is unbelievably stupid, every time someone brings this rubbish up along with breathing air. If you want to play space engineers then go play space engineers; you wont be missed.

As an X3 veteran i've spent far too much time cleaning up after ai fighters trying to fly out of a hangar while the carrier is turning, crashing into jumpgates, freighters colliding at warp in when coming out of jump gates, and that game has MUCH better ai flying than starmade, where the ai cant even find it's way around a damn planet. If you slap this crap in starmade it'll kill the fleet system in its infancy, along with any interest in carriers, and that's saying nothing about the extra performance cost in this; go rub two ships together and see what happens to your fps.

What is the point of this, is the big issue. Why should we want this collision damage in the game? And don't fucking say immersion or realism; starmade is immersive for completely different reasons, and realism is garbage for game design. Starmade is not a physics sandbox, stop trying to turn it into one.
    I'm sorry for getting you so unbelievably agitated. It was a simple suggestion and I had been curious whether it was part of the game mechanics or not. I had already found my answer in the previous replies to this thread. Personally I don't play space engineers, used to play it for a bit, but then decided I preferred other games more. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by making a tentative suggestion.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I'm sorry for getting you so unbelievably agitated. It was a simple suggestion and I had been curious whether it was part of the game mechanics or not. I had already found my answer in the previous replies to this thread. Personally I don't play space engineers, used to play it for a bit, but then decided I preferred other games more. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by making a tentative suggestion.
    You didnt hurt my feelings you hurt my brain with your dumb post.

When making suggestions, check forums for old threads :

Ramming speed! Collision stuff.
    Collision damage shield bubble
    collision damage physics.
    Collision Damage and How it's implementation could make Starmade Awesome
    Collision damage idea
    Combined mechanics idea for max speed, asteroids, collision damage and ship spinning
    Collision Damage
    Collision physics
    collision damage

And i'm sure there's more.

This has been discussed several times before. If you had read just a few posts from a few threads it should be pretty obvious why this is bad.

Reaction score
    You definitely need to learn to mess with the config. I had the 2 m/s problem, but the real issue when activating collision damage is that the basic impulse required for damage to be caused is 2. My basic physics knowledge seems to tell me that 2 m/s collision in an losing all its energy in one second (I could be wrong, AP physics was like a year ago) would generate the amount of impulse required to cause damage.

That said, when you can destroy 10 meters worth of 3*3 standard armor with a 5 m/s collision......something's up.

So I've set my impulse higher for testing. And I'm gonna go see what kinds of mayhem I can wreak with collision damage and a moderately sized cruiser.

Reaction score
    There are indeed ways to fix the 2m/s default kill-all-ships setting - go into config, find the "Impulse" setting, and pick a higher one.
    And also, please check settings and previous threads, plus updates even, before creating new posts. This has been in there for as long as I've been playing SM (4 months, give or take, I think), but as said, it's laggy and so off by default.
    Plus most players screw up docking things or whatnot their first time flying into a station. And their last. They don't like being punished for it.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why did people revive this thread to do nothing but hate on it? Come on guys, seriously?

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    I'm sure this has been suggested by someone somewhere before, but just as a thought.
    You didnt hurt my feelings you hurt my brain with your dumb post.

When making suggestions, check forums for old threads :

Ramming speed! Collision stuff.
    Collision damage shield bubble
    collision damage physics.
    Collision Damage and How it's implementation could make Starmade Awesome
    Collision damage idea
    Combined mechanics idea for max speed, asteroids, collision damage and ship spinning
    Collision Damage
    Collision physics
    collision damage

And i'm sure there's more.

This has been discussed several times before. If you had read just a few posts from a few threads it should be pretty obvious why this is bad.
    Look. I said the thread is over. I understand what was said and there's no need to just constantly make hateful comments. This will be the last post I make on this thread as when I make a suggestion you go on a rant and when I write something you ignore it. Please go bother someone else.
    DukeofRealms kindly close this thread, I found out what I wanted to know.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    damned if you necro an old post about an old idea.
    damned if you make a new post about an old idea.
    and shut down if you make a new post about new idea.
    It's almost as if we're being encouraged not to post anything at all :p

As far as I'm concerned a good idea never gets old.
    And what's wrong with kicking a dead horse anyways? The horse doesn't care.

peace :)

Reactions: Micro753

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    damned if you necro an old post about an old idea.
    damned if you make a new post about an old idea.
    and shut down if you make a new post about new idea.
    It's almost as if we're being encouraged not to post anything at all :p

As far as I'm concerned a good idea never gets old.
    And what's wrong with kicking a dead horse anyways? The horse doesn't care.

peace :)
    The funny part is despite the rage in the thread over how its a "dumb idea" its flagged as In Development anyway. ;) :D

Reactions: JNC
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is kind of off-topic, but a related. Has anymore work been done on break_off?
    I love the idea of being able to blow parts off of ships, or breaking a ship in half, but I remember it was pretty badly bugged the last time I messed with it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    out of interest, who remembers what happened when you rammed two titans into eachother even at 10/ms with collision damage on?