Cloaking device

Reaction score
    The cloaking device is Terrible it takes up way to much power I propose that we lessen the amount of energy it takes by over 91% because it would last more than a couple seconds.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Do you have ANY IDEA how unbalanced that would be? EVERY SHIP would be cloaked, no one could hit anyone. It would be a nightmare. This is a TERRIBLE IDEA.

Reactions: gregolegomonkey

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    That would make it use roughly 130e/s per 1mass, which in turn would allow many, many more ships to mount cloaker technology. Almost every ship that could reach the 2mile/s soft cap just over 15k mass could cloak. This is a horrible idea that shouldn't be implemented.

also, side not: if your ships last a few seconds cloaked, then they're not designed to be cloakers. cloaking requires 1450e/s currently. The only ships that are able to cloak are those dedicated to cloaking due to the power requirements. I don't expect to be Creed and strap a cloaker to jontys titan and have it work. Cloaking is fine as it is.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Originally, cloak needed 100 e/s per block and jammer needed 50 e/s per block. However, core drilling used to be a thing, as you needed only hit the core block with a weapon to instakill any ship ever, so Schine changed cloak to use 145 e/s per block and jammer to use 5 e/s per block.

Their design is that full stealth requires a specialized ship, with efficient reactor setups and not a lot of mass. Your scout ships should be lightweight for their size, and with things like motherboards, basic hull, and other low-mass blocks, you can have a hull on a ship, albeit not one that can take a beating. Then again, if you're a proper stealth ship, invisibility is your protection.

Interestingly, the config says per block, which I reflected in the first section, but I'm pretty sure mass had something to do with the calculations.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Originally, cloak needed 100 e/s per block and jammer needed 50 e/s per block. However, core drilling used to be a thing, as you needed only hit the core block with a weapon to instakill any ship ever, so Schine changed cloak to use 145 e/s per block and jammer to use 5 e/s per block.

Their design is that full stealth requires a specialized ship, with efficient reactor setups and not a lot of mass. Your scout ships should be lightweight for their size, and with things like motherboards, basic hull, and other low-mass blocks, you can have a hull on a ship, albeit not one that can take a beating. Then again, if you're a proper stealth ship, invisibility is your protection.

Interestingly, the config says per block, which I reflected in the first section, but I'm pretty sure mass had something to do with the calculations.
    To clarify, the energy cost is per unit of mass, regardless of what the config says. It was originally 1000 e/s/mass for cloaking, and 500 e/s/mass for jamming. As stated, it is now 1450 e/s/mass for cloaking, and 50 e/s/mass for jamming. The misconception caused by the config is fairly common, but the config value is actually just represented as 1/10th of the power cost per mass, an archaic result of all blocks once having identical mass.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I understand the frustration, but it's current configuration is good for balance. It forces players to build specialized stealth ships instead of every player rocking round in a cloaked titan. You can still weaponize a stealth ship, but it requires some careful building and piloting, which is a great source of fun for me. :)

I personally would like the cloak tied to shields somehow as well as mass and power. So, you can't have both as they did in Star Trek. Well mostly. And when the cloak drops your shields have to regenerate from zero but like normal. Naturally, there's the possibiliy of a super fast regen, but this could also be limited in some way if balance is affected. Or not.

It would be nice to not have to build stick stealth ships with permacloaks, but that's the cost of balance. And I can live with that.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I used to think that everyone agreed that a cloak re-vamp was necessary. But after reading the responses to this thread I'm not so sure that's a popular idea any more.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm pretty sure the cloak/jam revamp ideas that were supported were along the lines of making cloaking use a computer-and-modules system like scanners or weapons. Suggestions to simply make the current system use less power and be easier to achieve were typically opposed.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Cloaking just isn't fun or viable atm.
    Any player can decloak you using a 1 block scanner, your ship has to be made 90% out of reactors and you can only make them so large.
    The benefits given from jamming are far better than those given by cloaking and take up only a fraction of the power.
    The only real use to cloaking right now is to insta-drain all your power for tests, or for smaller recon units/jumpers that wouldn't last 10 seconds in a fight.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The new Aux generators can be used to make a bigger cloaker.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The cloaking device is Terrible it takes up way to much power I propose that we lessen the amount of energy it takes by over 91% because it would last more than a couple seconds.
    yah. ok. l2p. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Cloaking does need a drawback or limitation that makes it undesirable to put on every single ship, but IMO just using an immense amount of power/mass isn't that thing. Maybe it should globally reduce block HP even when it's off, or make shields have bleedthrough, or... something. Perhaps, as has been suggested before, it should have modules and the range of cloaking functionality should depend on how many modules are on the ship (A perfect cloak would require the same amount of power as current cloaking blocks)