Chevadler and Company Shipyards

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hello there folks, I would sincerely like some critiques on the overall design. Someone mention the presence of too much brown- and that has been addressed so expect a future update. I am not rushing to complete it as I really want to flush out the interiors and make things pop.

I'm trying to go for a 1930 art deco and neo-gothic aesthetic with repeating patterns, angular shapes and some organic floral designs are implemented to create a distinct aesthetic appearance. The ship is meant to look like a skycraper to capture the feel of a ready made. The idea of a building being appropriated into a space craft is an idea I am toying with. I am trying to make alluring and bizarre ships, so conventions are meant to be broken.

Allegory of A Spacecraft by Spoolooni on Sketchfab

Last edited:

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While definitely a WIP, this looks very impressive. My pointers:
    1. Your repeating patterns look very nice, but it seems like they are confined to a single part of the hull - almost as the ship is composed of many different "sections." This might be the aesthetic you're going for, though.
    2. The sides are a little flat on the top part - I ran into this issue on a vertical ship of my own. My advice would be to add some turrets/hangars/fins/sub-buildings to break it up.
    3. The section with the engines almost looks like it was stabbed into the "skyscraper" part. Once again, this might your your intention, but if not, I'd recommend adding some struts or other structural greebles to blend it into the skyscraper hull.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the development of this creation - good luck!

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    While definitely a WIP, this looks very impressive. My pointers:
    1. Your repeating patterns look very nice, but it seems like they are confined to a single part of the hull - almost as the ship is composed of many different "sections." This might be the aesthetic you're going for, though.
    2. The sides are a little flat on the top part - I ran into this issue on a vertical ship of my own. My advice would be to add some turrets/hangars/fins/sub-buildings to break it up.
    3. The section with the engines almost looks like it was stabbed into the "skyscraper" part. Once again, this might your your intention, but if not, I'd recommend adding some struts or other structural greebles to blend it into the skyscraper hull.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the development of this creation - good luck!
    Aye, your suggestions will be taken into consideration especially what you mentioned with the top engines, and the framing is intentional~ It's more or less an artistic approach and the seclusion of details is exactly what I want to keep persisting in this build C:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    So err... you got an factions you build for?

Reaction score
    Damit this thing will be beautiful. I would add a bit of steampunk kind of things to that, like wings, lot's of pipe, valve and piston.

Also for what the holes are meant ? Turrets ?

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So err... you got an factions you build for?
    Well, I am building for Red Eagle and I am in UIS. So doing small projects for other factions within UIS is not an impossibility if you're in it as well :O

Damit this thing will be beautiful. I would add a bit of steampunk kind of things to that, like wings, lot's of pipe, valve and piston.

Also for what the holes are meant ? Turrets ?
    Eyupppp, turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, I am building for Red Eagle and I am in UIS. So doing small projects for other factions within UIS is not an impossibility if you're in it as well :O
    I don't see the TE joining.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    That's absolutely fine. Who knows maybe new alliances shall be forged in the coming future.
    I just really like the art deco style, and I was hoping that I could see about you designing buildings.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I just really like the art deco style, and I was hoping that I could see about you designing buildings.
    Well~ I am going to start making art-deco buildings, and I'd be happy if you'd download them in the future and appropriate them into your faction's aesthetic. I am trying to really pump out content to help Starmade get more attention, especially if this ship's screenshots turn up on image search and what not, it'll definitely help (It's why I am doing public releases mostly~). I've had people ask me, "is this ship from star citizen?" It really proves the quality is there and it makes me feel proud, albeit I don't want to get complacent.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Well~ I am going to start making art-deco buildings, and I'd be happy if you'd download them in the future and appropriate them into your faction's aesthetic. I am trying to really pump out content to help Starmade get more attention, especially if this ship's screenshots turn up on image search and what not, it'll definitely help (It's why I am doing public releases mostly~). I've had people ask me, "is this ship from star citizen?" It really proves the quality is there and it makes me feel proud, albeit I don't want to get complacent.
    Well, there's some specific stuff I'd like, like a palace and a senatorial building.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Holy moly.

That's it, that's all I've got

Reaction score
    Nice! now just don''t neglect systems like many i-build-cool-looking-ships folks here, have a thrust ratio over 1.0 etc...
    Anyways this looks very nice so far, I cant wait to see the result of this, when this is done I am so exited to review this ship!

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nice! now just don''t neglect systems like many i-build-cool-looking-ships folks here, have a thrust ratio over 1.0 etc...
    Anyways this looks very nice so far, I cant wait to see the result of this, when this is done I am so exited to review this ship!
    Oh don't worry, if there's anything I hate most is pretty ships with excessive interior at the cost of good performance. "RP" in my book stands for, "really pretty" and that doesn't have to apply on the inside.

Reactions: Gmodism
    Reaction score
    Oh don't worry, if there's anything I hate most is pretty ships with excessive interior at the cost of good performance. "RP" in my book stands for, "really pretty" and that doesn't have to apply on the inside.
    Well I have to say that interior is almost as important as the exterior for a good feeling of the ship, but extensive interiors are indeed silly when taking away the systems!
    [doublepost=1481618181,1481618038][/doublepost]Also for interior you just can't make the standard boring grey hull and white lights!!!!!!!
    Make some checkerboard floor where appropriate and aim for low lightning and scaffolds, that would be something for this ship!

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well I have to say that interior is almost as important as the exterior for a good feeling of the ship, but extensive interiors are indeed silly when taking away the systems!
    [doublepost=1481618181,1481618038][/doublepost]Also for interior you just can't make the standard boring grey hull and white lights!!!!!!!
    Make some checkerboard floor where appropriate and aim for low lightning and scaffolds, that would be something for this ship!
    I am holding off on the displays for now, because of the null point errors, shame i can't have display floors haha

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Oh no, hope the errors stop soon then!
    I believe they've been fixed in the latest dev client, but i've tested it on and the null point errors still persist. I'm ultimately finding new ways to facilitate the presence of a computer without using displays.

Reactions: Gmodism