[Chat Suggestion] Few things the chat needs!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey guys, it's fallen. Just wanted to list a few starmade chat suggestions that would help ALOT when playing.

-----------------TAGS-----------------

[Faction Tags]
    In the chat it's just plain. I'd like to see a "[Faction Name] PlayerName: Said this". This would help players know who belongs to what faction.

[Admin Tags]
    Being an admin on the server, players don't really know i'm an admin. Expecially the newer ones. having a ~ symbol before you name on a player list doesn't exactly shout "ADMIN".
    This makes it hard for when players need my help with something.

---------------OVERHAUL---------------

[Better Text Customisation]
    At the moment everyones chat looks the same and extremly plain with no real customisation options. There is no color execept from the server messages. Going back to the [Faction Tags] point i made
    earlier, Players could chose their own faction color, and it would show the name of the faction inbetween the brackets the color they shown. Could also have sectors colored in that factions chosen
    color. I'd also like to see a change in text size, font size, etc.

--------------PLAYERLIST---------------

[Clicking Features]
    At the moment it's set so you right click to access the players menu which in my opinion is a pain. I'd prefer it if you could just click a player to whisper instead and right click to do other stuff.

These are just a few features that i'm going to suggest. I'm sure you guys have plenty more so reply to this thread with your opinions and suggestions.

All suggestions are of my own opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
    ~FallenFury

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Agreed, faction tags would be great!

Don't know how many times I've had someone in chat ask for help and then give everything BUT proper coordinates for their sector. Least if they were at the home base asking for help, I could see their faction tab and look it up in the faction list to find the home base coords.

Things I would like to see added to chat:

!coords to post up your current sector coordinates. Because of above, half the time people who ask for help have no clue how to tell you where they are.

Reactions: TNA

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Umm, I hate to break it to you, but this post is in the wrong location. Discussion about SMD content needs to go in the SMD Discussion Section: SMD Discussion. It's categorized under support, but it is also the location that is meant to be used for suggestions involving SMD forums and related features. I suggest you move this post, Fallenfury, before the mods take any actions. After discussing the issues with deleting off-topic content with DukeofRealms, I doubt many more deletions of off-topic content will occur for the time being, but there still is a possibility one of the mods might delete this.

Aside from that technical note/warning, I agree with the suggestions you've made. I haven't used chat yet, myself, but I've looked at it and feel that such features could come in handy.
    Pretty sure this thread is about the in game chat, not the site chat. Calm thyself, it's in the right place.

G

GDPR 302420

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but this post is in the wrong location. Discussion about SMD content needs to go in the SMD Discussion Section: SMD Discussion. It's categorized under support, but it is also the location that is meant to be used for suggestions involving SMD forums and related features. I suggest you move this post, Fallenfury, before the mods take any actions. After discussing the issues with deleting off-topic content with DukeofRealms, I doubt many more deletions of off-topic content will occur for the time being, but there still is a possibility one of the mods might delete this.

Aside from that technical note/warning, I agree with the suggestions you've made. I haven't used chat yet, myself, but I've looked at it and feel that such features could come in handy.
    I do believe OP is talking about ingame chat for servers, not SMD

Reaction score
    I do believe OP is talking about ingame chat for servers, not SMD
    In that case, I apologize for my earlier statement. I misunderstood (and simultaneously somehow forgot that Starmade does, in fact, have a chat). I'll delete what I posted earlier.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In that case, I apologize for my earlier statement. I misunderstood (and simultaneously somehow forgot that Starmade does, in fact, have a chat). I'll delete what I posted earlier.
    was my bad, sorry i didn't specify which chat it was. I should've labeled it as in-game chat instead of just "chat"

TNA

Reaction score
    I would like some add some additional ideas. First some ideas that are just there to make the chat more intuitive/similar to other chat systems so that one can use it easier. After that some ideas that came to me after I read this thread.

1. Time stamp of messages in the chat. so one can see when messages were sent. propably also add the server clock in the chat window. You could add an option in the game to enable time stamps.
    2. Proper navigation in the text write field (where you write your message) of the chat. So it is possible to move the cursor in the field with arrow keys left and right and you can click with the mouse to put at a specific position, but the cursor is sometimes not visible when you have multiple lines in the message and you move the cursor to a new line. And arrow keys up and down to select previous messages is good, but I would prefer this was only possible when I have not writen a message yet. If I have written a message and use the up and down arrow keys I would like to switch lines in my message. Currently you lose message that you are writing, if you use the up and down keys. Maybe it needs just practice, buts this is not very intuitive.
    3. Selection of text holding down the mouse and moving over the text you want to select. It works in the text write field, with SHIFT+Arrow Keys now, but not in the chat history. So i cant copy messages from someone.
    4. Currently the maximum number of characters in a message is limited, but it does not show me what the limit is. Either view the limit and the remaining characters as in the mail system or remove the limit.
    5. Creating a new paragraph with SHIFT+ENTER would be nice.
    6. Add a "send" button. This is just for completeness, so its more like any other chat one uses.

After reading the ideas in the chat I have some additional thoughts about them:

7. add player related commands that are used for gameplay like !coords to post your coordinates to the chat via a rightclick menu. so new players know what other commands to use. admin commands are probably to numerous to be handled that way.
    8. add links in the chat. the inspiration came from EVE Online, if anyone has played that. There you can link items, starsystems etc. in chat. so if one pastes some coordinates in the chat they would be displayed as a link. one could right click the link and directly set course or save the coordinates as a waypoint. Other links could be the Faction Tag. One could click on the link and directly open the faction in the faction menu. Maybe allow to right click on the player name directly in the chat history, so I dont have the look for the player in the player list. Then I could directly right click on the player and send messages etc. When player names are handeled as a link one could also add the right click option for in-game mails. I do prefer not to have actual interent links to internet pages for security reasons though. This is only meant for ingame links to coords/factions.

These are some small ideas. Maybe more uses for the links in the chat can be found.