Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hello, been a while since I seen this project, the fact it took 2 years is intimidating. Do you use advanced armor or just regular hulls?

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The new option of aux power for a ship like the charon must be like finding a barrel of diesel for a truck that has previously ran on half an expired bottle of olive oil. Can't wait to see updates for this project again.

Reaction score
    I was just reading some early posts in this thread.

Staring at engines isn't something that generally interests me, but the engines on this (page 3 I think) look stunning!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The new option of aux power for a ship like the charon must be like finding a barrel of diesel for a truck that has previously ran on half an expired bottle of olive oil. Can't wait to see updates for this project again.
    It definitely is, lol.
    Hello, been a while since I seen this project, the fact it took 2 years is intimidating. Do you use advanced armor or just regular hulls?
    Standard armor, I like the looks of it better.
    Not sure if there is a big ship builders club or anything but.... id like to say im apart of the group xD keep up the work man gettin me all inspired to keep building check mine out Project Titan Ship Z.... I'm back?

o7 my fellow big ship builder ;P
    Thanks! I'll check that ship of yours out :D
    I was just reading some early posts in this thread.

Staring at engines isn't something that generally interests me, but the engines on this (page 3 I think) look stunning!
    :P

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Ooooooh, I love the way those engines turned out!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Currently refitting the reactors. At 35fps it's painful (on my laptop), but I'm getting there! I'm probably going to have to change the layout of the reactor room because one it's corners gets uncomfortably close to the exterior.

Basically, I'm working on this thing again.

Reaction score
    35 FPS?????
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    I get 15 working on 250m ships (occasionally less than that on smaller ones). I consider 25 FPS to be GREAT, and can work flawlessly.
    35 is FASTER THAN THE HUMAN EYE CAN TRACK. HOW CAN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT????
    Are you an alien, then?

What the heck kind of laptop do you have? My regular one would cry if it was exposed to a 250m cruiser ... nevermind a TITAN ... I'd get half a FPS, IF THAT ...
    You people and your gaming rigs....
    Good luck on it, can't wait to see some action GIFs or something.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    35 FPS?????
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    I get 15 working on 250m ships (occasionally less than that on smaller ones). I consider 25 FPS to be GREAT, and can work flawlessly.
    35 is FASTER THAN THE HUMAN EYE CAN TRACK. HOW CAN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT????
    Are you an alien, then?

What the heck kind of laptop do you have? My regular one would cry if it was exposed to a 250m cruiser ... nevermind a TITAN ... I'd get half a FPS, IF THAT ...
    You people and your gaming rigs....
    Good luck on it, can't wait to see some action GIFs or something.
    60fps is preffered because it gives the game some more to work with. Some people are able to notice a difference between 24 and 60, too.

Reaction score
    Yeah, but the human eye can track only about 30 "frames" or changes per second. Actually, human brain; I think the eye sends all that information but the brain only processes things so fast. So of course you could notice a change between 24 and 60; but beyond 30, there is very little, if anything, to notice. 500 FPS is optimal, because then it takes a lot to overrun your graphics unit, but it's not necessary on your end, because that's just way higher than you could possibly follow.
    And, mostly, I'm making a joke about his stupid gaming rig. My "gaming" computer (store-bought) can't even run World of Warships on minimum graphics without lag.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, but the human eye can track only about 30 "frames" or changes per second. Actually, human brain; I think the eye sends all that information but the brain only processes things so fast. So of course you could notice a change between 24 and 60
    I can see a difference between 60 and 90 fps, I tested it. Also, 30 fps in StarMade gives me motion sickness, unlike way higher fps. That 24-30 fps limit is a myth. 24 fps is the bare minimum for perceiving a flowing movement, and that only with slow camera movements. Ask a competitive shooter player, for them 30 fps is unplayable.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    ...Ask a competitive shooter player, for them 30 fps is unplayable.
    Yup. Anything less than 65 FPS and you're not going to track the high-speed tricks, or be able to aim while doing a high-speed trick.
    Any resolution below QSXGA and you're the guy getting sniped rather than the sniper.
    Same holds true in starmade combat. Either you have high resolution to aim at the guy 10 km away, or you are limited to turrets and "knife fight" weapons. Either you have the FPS to deal with a knife-fight scenario, or you are limited to a slideshow while the turrets fight for you.
    I've often wondered if anyone can manually shoot down incoming maccross-missile-massacre with less than 1600*1280 @ 50 FPS to work with. could be a good challenge event. "be the AMS"

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I've often wondered if anyone can manually shoot down incoming maccross-missile-massacre with less than 1600*1280 @ 50 FPS to work with. could be a good challenge event. "be the AMS"
    The answer is yes... if you have a wide and long enough cannon waffleboard.

Reaction score
    Yes. I will build myself a large AMS-Paddle for Pong, and see what happens. If I can't do it, I'll step out and click a button on the AI. It's still manual, I just activated something to fire it for me ...;)

Reaction score
    Actually 60FPS is the average human limit---some creatures can see several times that many frames per second, effectively allowing them to react like we're in slow-motion.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Currently refitting the reactors. At 35fps it's painful (on my laptop), but I'm getting there! I'm probably going to have to change the layout of the reactor room because one it's corners gets uncomfortably close to the exterior.

Basically, I'm working on this thing again.
    35 FPS isn't bad

Come back when its 5 FPS