Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    let me elaborate:
    inhabitable underside fin. big thick system or interior-containing fin that serves some purpose. possibly a dual side-turret mount

Reactions: AtraUnam

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nothing set in stone yet but I settled for a third hangar, which will be located where the underside super turret used to be. I'm currently staring at the empty underside waiting for things to happen making the frame for what will hopefully be a pretty cool addition.

Reactions: Sir_Shocks

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update 1: New frame

So I finally finished the new frame, for those that didn't read the last few pages I suggest that you do (if you want to know why I'm rebuilding the ship). Anyways, this was a lot of work to get everything perfect considering that I was essentially redesigning major areas of the ship. Worth it? I think so:

Just worth noting that the wings and their support structure aren't present because they're part of a giant turret, so those will come later. Next step is filling in the hull, which is going to be super satisfying :D

Edit: the frame is 9.8k mass lol

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You are truly a masochist. Ditching an existing ship to make an entirely new one again.
    This kind of masochism is the mark of an artist. Artists are always evolving their art, which means their previous work is usually unworthy of their present skill. With a large enough project that means it's sometimes better to trash an old project completely and start over than to go through all the trouble of fixing it all.

I may have some personal experience with this sort of self-abuse.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This kind of masochism is the mark of an artist. Artists are always evolving their art, which means their previous work is usually unworthy of their present skill. With a large enough project that means it's sometimes better to trash an old project completely and start over than to go through all the trouble of fixing it all.

I may have some personal experience with this sort of self-abuse.
    Exactly! I had no idea what I was doing back when I started the original Charon. Only reason it looks somewhat decent is because I retrofitted it a billion times, the original was absolute rubbish in comparison. The new version will be entirely planned out from the start so it should be a lot better!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You are nuts. Truly...

But there is method in your madness.

Many of the best projects went through dozens of iterations before being finalized. It only ever serves to benefit the project and it's creator in the long run to be critical of their work - and I find that with a fresh approach, it's easier to let the creativity flow again rather than forcing refits and updates on an older, more defined project with lots of limitations and constraints.

Best of luck mate!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Codirus and Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update 2: Basic hull

Not much to say here, I decided to play the game and finish filling in the hull. Here's the result: (Just keep in mind that it looks like crap because there's 0 detailing, and also I had to lower settings cause I'm on my laptop)

I still need to remove the orange frame, so keep that in mind :P. Also, the coloring is subject to change, mostly the grey areas. Next I'll start adding back in the basic detailing (stuff that doesn't involve rails).

Note: Not gonna lie it looks a million times better than the original hull, so here's hoping that it'll turn out good :P

Edit:

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think that orange looks really cool!
    [doublepost=1511401880,1511401727][/doublepost]You're Titan will sure throw a spanner in the works. ;-)

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Looking quite excellent! Filling in all those angled bits must have been a pain, but it really looks to have paid off.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you know Tron, teh movie where peoples enter mainframes with a simulated world?

I think the hull is already awesome enough

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Do you know Tron, teh movie where peoples enter mainframes with a simulated world?

I think the hull is already awesome enough
    You're right, it does look like something out of tron lol.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I get why you used the orange to frame out the build but personally, I just kinda feel like that would detract from the ominous lore you've created for the ship thus far if you kept it. The ship just emerges from the darkness of space, causes massive destruction and then slips back into the void. The "safety orange" just seems like it would take away from that. By the way, my hats off to you for re-imagining this leviathan. Thinking about starting my titan over again makes my head hurt.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hmm. I have to say, something is off about the new hull. Somehow, looking at the old one, it evokes "large capital ship". Looking at this one evokes... "missile", maybe? It may be the slim part of the aft section, or it may just be the lack of greeble, decoration and turrets. I'd suggest caution, in either case.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I AM GOING TO REMOVE THE ORANGE ARMOR! I WILL ALSO ADD DETAILS AND TURRETS!

I already mentioned it in the update post guys, come on...

Non

Reaction score
    I AM GOING TO REMOVE THE ORANGE ARMOR! I WILL ALSO ADD DETAILS AND TURRETS!
    Orange armor cannot be removed once placed, and details and turrets have to be made before the basic hull, therefore you have ruined that ship. How did you not know this?