Chain Docking?

Reaction score
    Anyone know if chain docking is working?
    I seem to have a problem docking a medium-sized ship carrying several smaller ships. The error I get is the docking area isn't big enough - when I made the docking area about 3x the size of the ship.
    Anybody have any feedback with similar problems, solutions?
    Thanks in advance
    ~

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    Working fine for me with a medium-sized ship carrying several huge ships on it. Exit and restart the game perhaps? You could try setting docking area validation to off in the server config file so you can dock it anyways and then see the bounding boxes. Confirm your ship's dimensions in build mode - more then once I've found blocks way out in space as part of my ship placed due to improperly/unintentionally used symmetry mode.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Thats not so much a chain docking problem, as a normal Docking problem * ^*
    I dont think Docking areas aren't updating right anymore; so while the Box might have expanded, the actual area might not have (and vice versa e- e). Try removing the docking modules and replacing them.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The problem is that when you dock, it centers on the core. So unless you put your core in the center of the ship, you're going to have problems with one side being longer than the other. It should really focus on the center of the ship instead of the core.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The problem is that when you dock, it centers on the core. So unless you put your core in the center of the ship, you're going to have problems with one side being longer than the other. It should really focus on the center of the ship instead of the core.
    I was thinking this as well, then I reread the OP and;
    I made the docking area about 3x the size of the ship.
    ~
    So I dont think its that :u I dunno, docking and Turrets have been screwy for a while, and will continue to be screwy o -o

Reaction score
    I was going to start a new thread but found this one which is relevant.

So with docking is there a maximum limit on the docking area I can create?

This is what is going on.

I wanted to experiment with docking so I created a basic 5x5 cube around my core. I then wanted to dock a 10x10 structure to it. I stretched out enhancers in both directions to accommodate the block but I couldn't get the green docking area to expand in both directions. It was 10 in one direction and just 4 or 5 in the other. I don't want to remove the docking restrictions in the server.cfg.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I was going to start a new thread but found this one which is relevant.

So with docking is there a maximum limit on the docking area I can create?

This is what is going on.

I wanted to experiment with docking so I created a basic 5x5 cube around my core. I then wanted to dock a 10x10 structure to it. I stretched out enhancers in both directions to accommodate the block but I couldn't get the green docking area to expand in both directions. It was 10 in one direction and just 4 or 5 in the other. I don't want to remove the docking restrictions in the server.cfg.
    Are they linked to the docking block with C/V?

Reaction score
    Are they linked to the docking block with C/V?
    Sorry should've specified. Yes they're all connected and show the purple outline. From that I assume I should be able to dock a dreadnought to a single core if I wanted to with the use of docking extenders.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Sorry should've specified. Yes they're all connected and show the purple outline.
    OKay, sounds like the server has desync'd or something. AndyP should be able to help you. I have only seen this on Elwyn and it usually lag caused

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sorry should've specified. Yes they're all connected and show the purple outline. From that I assume I should be able to dock a dreadnought to a single core if I wanted to with the use of docking extenders.
    Are all the enhancers touching ie no gaps to make the enhancers into 2 or more groups as I've had this mess up the docking area several times .
    They don't have to touch the docking module but they do have to be in a single group arrangement

Reaction score
    Thanks for the advice it was me being a numb nut. I had the docking module as part of the construction so it broke the chain of docking enhancers!!!! Having loads of fun building modular ships now.

I've had one or two little issues getting stuff to work.

This is alpha so docs and tutorials are a little bit hit and miss. If you don't know what the outcome is meant to be then you're not exactly sure whether you have a bug, an intentional restriction or you're doing something wrong. But that is the nature of alpha.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I believe there is a new series of Tutorials being made :p and will be posted on the front page (?) Should help for future newcomers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    what is chain docking , and what is purpose of it?

I tried to youtube it, but didnt find useful info.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    what is chain docking , and what is purpose of it?

I tried to youtube it, but didnt find useful info.
    Chain docking is docking an object to another object with another object :u
    Basically without chain docking, you would not be allowed to dock ships with turrets to anything.

Normal docking consists of [Ship -> Ship] or [Turret -> Ship], Chain docking is what allows [Turret -> Ship -> Ship]. Important for carriers * ^* and Modular ships

Reactions: Winterhome