Capital ship core.

Reaction score
    I've looked around, and with the exception of the existing of a "Death star core" which is currently unimplemented, I don't see a mention of something I'm looking for.

Basically, what I want to build (havn't started yet, because I'd have to rebuild it to change the core if I did) is a Capital ship that functions as a Mobile station type thing. All the advantages of a ship, as you can currently build with a ship core, but also able to contain some blocks that are station/planet only, such as factory blocks.

So, is it possible to mod in a method to make factory blocks be placed on a type of ship?

Is it possible to mod in a method to have 2 types of ship (standard, and capital) where the factory blocks may only be placed on the big ship?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That is an upcoming feature, to put factories and undeathinators and all that on a ship. Probably a little while down the road, but coming I believe.

Reaction score
    CyberTao No it isn't? Where's your proof?
    Also OP, this has been suggested so many times before, it's stale. We'll see.

Reaction score
    I believe it has in fact been stated that it is a possible upcoming feature. The news posts have been removed, but a special provision for mobile homebase ships with factories and spawners was stated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Soon TM the hyperdrive will be finished. Once you put a hyperdrive block on a ship it becomes a capital ship and can't move. The only way the ship moves is by using it' hyperdrive.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    CyberTao No it isn't? Where's your proof?
    Also OP, this has been suggested so many times before, it's stale. We'll see.
    I remember it from Calbiri talking about "capital ships", with the special kind of FTL and whatnot, ships would gain the ability to use some station-based objects at the cost of max speed iirc. Might have been scrapped, I saw it in the early pages of the pinned thruster thread in general.

Edit; here, I found a quote! not a very good/exact one, but it should be enough.
    since there seems to be some confusion about the capital ships: Basically normal ships will have certain amounts of points to be spent on capital ship systems. You consume those by placing capital ship systems, and they will gradually influence your ability to move.

Basically stuff like on-ship factories will have a very low value so you can place a fair amount while still being able to move around.

However a hyperdrive (not the one you put on ships for an 8 sec jump) will be very expensive. Capital ships with those systems are basically moving stations without some bonuses stations get. Their advantage is basically that other than stations, they can move around with the hyper drive or the normal jump drives, while stations are, well, stationary.

Reaction score
    I remember it from Calbiri talking about "capital ships", with the special kind of FTL and whatnot, ships would gain the ability to use some station-based objects at the cost of max speed iirc. Might have been scrapped, I saw it in the early pages of the pinned thruster thread in general.

Edit; here, I found a quote! not a very good/exact one, but it should be enough.
    God, that seems so limited and constricted. Most people will simply just continue to use capital V capital. Max speed? No issue. Most servers still only have about 100KM/h anyway. Of course, it might change.

Reaction score
    Your replies make an interesting read. I do like the idea this thread sugests the game is headding in, though not being able to move at all does seem kind of annoying, but as it stands currently with the small capital ship I have built, I couldn't get the speed past about 50kmph while holding down the W key, if all it does it reduce the max speed, then I already don't have anything to worry about by sticking on a few factories. if however it adds other penalties, such as steering, and acceleration, then that would be a bummer.

Also, partly because of this issue with moving, the jump drive is already my primary means of transportation, so a warp drive (I presume by the name it has a range somewhat similar to the 8 systems you get from a warp gate, rather than the few sectors we get from a jump drive) would be a pretty awesome addition.

One of the benefits I see by having factories on your ship is, you can already link your salvage computer to a storage to make what you mine get depostited there, and you can already link a storage to a capsule refinery, causing it to take things from storage to process, just not currently on the same entity. I think it would be pretty sweet to build a small capital mining ship that processes ores as you mine them.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    God, that seems so limited and constricted. Most people will simply just continue to use capital V capital. Max speed? No issue. Most servers still only have about 100KM/h anyway. Of course, it might change.
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of the idea that capital ships cannot move. Not being able to zip around like fighters is fine but you should at least be able to maneuver.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd be happy if the restrictions reduced them to a crawl of 10kmph
    I imagine the best option is just to make it an config option. It could either be a flat value or a percentage of the max speed. If servers want 100% dead in space capitals it should be their decision.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    there is a good thing about capital ships not being able to move.
    • You can build elevators, that go up and down and are not gravity elevators.
    • no need for thrusters or movement effects
    • You could build a rail inside the ship with logic and have a ship go along that rail.

Reaction score
    I don't think we really need capital ship specific weapons, we just get to build bigger ones.
    for example, this is Capital two (Admin-load clone of Capital one for weapons testing), aftering being hit by 4 missiles fired by Capital one.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5dw8xxs1w3p6jv/Screenshot 2015-01-26 00.41.40.png?dl=0

The weapons are of type Missile/Pulse, with around only a 56% support. 16718 missiles (split into 2) and 5810 pulse.
    This thing has over a million shielding, most things can't even penetrate it, and the missiles from Capital one went right through like it wasn't even there. Well, the first shot was a double targeted at the same point, each missile does almost a million damage, so the first missile would have reduced the shields down to about 10%, the second obliterated the bridge, simultaniously.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    there is a good thing about capital ships not being able to move.
    • You can build elevators, that go up and down and are not gravity elevators.
    • no need for thrusters or movement effects
    • You could build a rail inside the ship with logic and have a ship go along that rail.
    a ship is meant to move.... if i wanted a station i would simply spawn it with a BP.....
    if it ends up with capital ships loosing hte ability to move people will be displeased

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    a ship is meant to move.... if i wanted a station i would simply spawn it with a BP.....
    if it ends up with capital ships loosing hte ability to move people will be displeased
    People are already aware that they will be hindered (whether or not they can move at all depends on what systems you put on it), and people are generally okay with it. Stations are the thing currently in danger of losing value, since capital ships would still retain a Hyperdrive for movement.

Reaction score
    I suppose the question then becomes: Do I want my giant entity to be able to move slowly, jump, and warp, or be able to house a warp gate capable of warping others?