Cantaloupe

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So I've had this unfinished hull that I call cantaloupe (for lack of a better name) for some time now. I've started working on it again and I need advice, as sometimes I look at it and think it looks good for now; but other times I think it has too many flat edges and not enough detail. I don't want to make it look over detailed but also no under.

20160924175046_1.jpg 20160925173909_1.jpg 20160925173927_1.jpg 20160925173947_1.jpg

Any ideas?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Perhaps add some thin grey stripes and such on the orange armor platting. Should make it look less plain yet keep its simplicity. Awesome ship btw!

Reaction score
    Really nice looking ship.

I'm a big fan of asymmetry.

Reaction score
    The shape of the ship hints of industrial use.. salvaging, manufacturing, gas supplying? Asymmetric design shouts that it's some very specialized use, like docking to a very specific place on a shipyard and.. detaching, doing something.. Are those docking ports on the bottom side? Is this a industrial carrier that takes completed ships from a shipyard, supplies them, and moves them to a nearby starbase? Or is this a moving space shipyard? Ship that's capable of repairs on the go? Visually it looks very complete to me, but maybe the purpose can give you a hint how to develop it further.. Like.. docked cargo containers, eh?

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I do think that the scale of the detailing on the ship (in particular the large girder sections on the tail and "wing") confuses the actual size of the ship a bit. Otherwise, I really like the quite clean industrial style of it.

Reaction score
    Sweeeet ship, excellent asymmetry, detail is good, and it just looks ... finished, somehow - professional, almost. It is very good. Good detailing, awesome general shape, and excellent coloration - although a few accent colors (i.e. yellow, will almost blend in but will be visible enough to add interest) might be good if you can find places to put them. That's all I've got, it looks great, and the accent colors are only if you feel it needs more. I'm impressed; very good job.

Reaction score
    Nice ship.

Can you give me some lore or tell me why the parts are so far away from the center? I like the looks of it, and just want to understand what I am looking at. ;)

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The shape of the ship hints of industrial use.. salvaging, manufacturing, gas supplying? Asymmetric design shouts that it's some very specialized use, like docking to a very specific place on a shipyard and.. detaching, doing something.. Are those docking ports on the bottom side? Is this a industrial carrier that takes completed ships from a shipyard, supplies them, and moves them to a nearby starbase? Or is this a moving space shipyard? Ship that's capable of repairs on the go? Visually it looks very complete to me, but maybe the purpose can give you a hint how to develop it further.. Like.. docked cargo containers, eh?
    The ship it intended to be a generalized utility ship; having significant cargo space and a large salvage array. The tall middle section is meant to house the salvage array and to maximize the area that the beams cover. It will also include push and stop beams to aid in moving turrets and other unpowered docks during station (or ship) construction.
    20161014133410_1.jpg

Another feature that I am including is the ability to mount 3 extra modules on it. I have only completed the cargo module but I plan on making a defensive module and a thruster module as well.

20161014133349_1.jpg

I've also decided to call it the "Modular Indutrial and Cargo Vessel 230 length" or MICV-230

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What will a thruster module be?
    Do you mean that you will use docked thrusters operational via wireless logic?
    There's an option in the thrust menu that says "inherit thrust from docks"

If you mean by looks I can't explain so you'll just have to see

Reaction score
    What will a thruster module be?
    Do you mean that you will use docked thrusters operational via wireless logic?
    Shouldn't need "wireless" logic, simply setting the module and the parent to "inherit thrust" (in the thrust menu no less) allows you to use the extra thrust granted by the module. (but, and here's the shitty part, NOT any of the extra power regen/capacity in said module)

EDIT: Damn you forum, failing to refresh! but yeah, Captain Redfox nailed it in one go.

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There's an option in the thrust menu that says "inherit thrust from docks"

Ok thanks for that, didn't actually know as I don't build ships.
    Shouldn't need "wireless" logic, simply setting the module and the parent to "inherit thrust" (in the thrust menu no less) allows you to use the extra thrust granted by the module. (but, and here's the shitty part, NOT any of the extra power regen/capacity in said module)

EDIT: Damn you forum, failing to refresh! but yeah, Captain Redfox nailed it in one go.
    Thanks to you as well for explaining.

I had mostly meant what it would feature though such as looks/maybe a cabin or control room for roleplay. But yes, will have to wait and see :)

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Why am I just learning about this wonder ship?!?!?!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    really nive man, i love asymetry ships and industrial look, good job

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why am I just learning about this wonder ship?!?!?!
    Maybe because my name for the thread name isn't something that gets searched often... I guess this isn't the produce department after all.