Can't run game after 0.199.472

Reaction score
    After coming back to Starmade after a work induced break, I find that the world will not load. The game tries to load and crashes at 100%. After some trial and error (updating drivers, java, etc.) I find that the game runs fine up to 0.199.472. Every build after will not load the world. I think it may be an open GL issue (in which case I'm screwed), but I want to be sure.

For clarification: The game runs smoothly on the older build (at low settings and away from planets), but will not load on the new builds. I am running this on a Laptop that is 5+ years old at this point. I have tried to get a crash report, but I can't quite figure it out.

Specs:
    Windows 10 x64
    Intel i5 - 2450M @ 2.5 GHz Quadcore
    6GB Ram
    Intel (R) HD Graphics 3000 (yay, integrated GPUs...)
    All drivers and plugins are up to date and working.

Is there any chance for me, or am I too outdated? While I am willing to keep playing at this level, I was looking forward to the new power update.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    It may be a shader issue, similar to here Since 199.646 Open GL crash on a Mac

Go into your ./StarMade/logs folder and look for logstarmade.0.log and graphicsinfo.txt (or graphcisinfo.txt), upload both files here and it should be more clear for us what's going wrong.

Reaction score
    My bad. Here are the logs from when I try running the very latest release (0.199.654a). I think I am as up to date as I can be on the drivers, but I will try the ones you suggested.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Just tried the game with the drivers linked above (copied here). No dice. I did get the crash screen to stay up long enough to get a look at it.

WARNINGL 0:3: extension 'GL_EXT_gpu_shader4' is not supported
    ERROR: 0:5: 'attribute' : cannot be int
    ERROR: 0:41: '&' : syntax error syntax error

There is also something referring to cube/quads13/shadowcube.vsh

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Just tried the game with the drivers linked above (copied here). No dice. I did get the crash screen to stay up long enough to get a look at it.

WARNINGL 0:3: extension 'GL_EXT_gpu_shader4' is not supported
    ERROR: 0:5: 'attribute' : cannot be int
    ERROR: 0:41: '&' : syntax error syntax error

There is also something referring to cube/quads13/shadowcube.vsh
    Did you try out that shadowcube.vsh fix I've posted too?
    [doublepost=1510263825,1510263604][/doublepost]Hm, use this one instead of the one linked in that post.
    In your ./StarMade/data/shader/cube/quads13 folder, replace shadowcube.vsh with the file I've uploaded here, make sure to extract the zip as the file is inside it.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Just attempted the first shadowcube.vsh fix posted and no luck. Going to try the second shadowcube.vsh fix.
    [doublepost=1510264200,1510263951][/doublepost]FIXED. The second shadowcube.vsh fix worked. I have re-uploaded the fix here for those who follow.

edit: FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW:
    1: updating drivers did not work (For this problem)
    2: First Shadowcube fix (for mac) did not work
    3: Second shadowcube fix (uploaded here) did work

Edit 2: For clarification, the game is confirmed to run up to 0.199.654a, which is the current release version.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lancake

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Great! We'll look into it a bit more thoroughly to fix it for the next release.