Can't play online or SP - Server Reject : Login name is Protected??

Reaction score
    The other day, after updating to 1.611 (i think) - I couldn't log into the server I normally play on.

Got this error :

IllegalArgumentException : unresolved address

I figured the server might be down, so I left it, and now a couple of updates later - 1.617, I thought I'd see if things were fixed - nope, same. I loaded up my Single Player game and was surprised to see a new error :

Server Reject: this login name is protected on this server!
    You either aren't logged in via uplink, or the protected name belongs to another user!
    Please use the "Uplink" menu to authenticate this name!

In SP? Pretty odd i think.. I tried the uplink and put in my credentials but just spits out yet another error :

UnknownHostException: registry.star-made.org
    To get information about a possible fix, please search for your error in the www.starmade.org forum or make a new topic if not found.

Also tried changing my login id but still says it's Protected.

Would appreciate some help if anyone knows what's up. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
    There's a file in the /starmade/ directory called server.cfg. In it you can adjust almost all the customizable stuff in the game (your singleplayer is basically local multiplayer, if you press the start dedicated server button, and log into it from another PC, you'll find your own SP universe is there)

Open server.cfg with notepad, and look for:

USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = false //allow star-made.org authentication
    REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = false //require star-made.org authentication (USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION must be true)
    PROTECTED_NAMES_BY_ACCOUNT = 10 //How many player names a player may protect with his account (if exceeded, the player name, that was logged in the longest time ago gets unprotected)

It's near the top. Make sure both values are set to false, the third doesn't really matter.

If they are false, and you still can't launch, I'd guess your save is broken. Reset universe might help. It is on the second page of the launcher, in the menus up the top.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same problem but that did not work I have set it to false but still it doesn't work without me connecting to the internet

Reaction score
    http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/745
    This bug was fixed starting in 1.611. Which is when your problem started. I think there might be a connection.
    @AndyP @der_scheme
    The (multi player) issue from the OP is unrelated. @Prote: Please search Game Support, there is information that may help you. If not, I don't know how to fix it.
    As for the issue that renders you unable to play offline: That was my first thought, too. However, AndyP hinted that this might be intended, since there will be changes—for instance, you will be required to uplink to play on dev builds. However, schema pointed out that this is indeed unintended.

Reaction score
    This is happening AGAIN now! The only solution I've found in the past is to lift the 'starmade starter' exe and let it reinstall in another folder - then I can log on but I need to use a different login name (same starmade credentials tho!) and I lose all my progress. :/

It's very irritating - and seems to happen pretty randomly. I can easily go to registry.star-made.org in my browser and can see my credentials. However, trying to uplink from the launcher gives me "Unknown Host Exception"

I think this game has such potential (and I do realise it's in alpha so bugs are expected) - but this is just becoming pointless.. I can't start any sort of project for fear of not being able to log back in to complete it!! :/

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    hi, your stuff is never lost as you can pull out the server-database folder and put it into another installation, the same with the blueprint folder.

Unknown host is not really something that is caused by the game. it means that the host "star-made.org" could not be resolved into a valid IP address. Can you maybe try changing your dns server to 8.8.8.8 (google dns which is very fast and reliable).

For the login name protected, you can always remove the protected.txt file which contains the players that have uplinked. I'll do my best to fix this problem asap

Reactions: I_is_Tinsy
    Reaction score
    Hi all...firstly thanks for trying to help me!

Found out what was wrong. Comodo internet security was blocking Java from accessing the internet (intermittently - which is odd!). I only figured this out when I tried to install and play Feed The Beast and wasn't able to download any modpacks or play online - with very similar errors. I added javaw.exe to comodo app permit list, as well as the launchers but just wouldn't work.

I uninstalled Comodo and went with microsoft security essentials - now FTB and StarMade are working perfectly.

Sorry for all my griping and complaining - the game is excellent and runs perfectly, the issues were all on my side, I just wasn't smart enough to fix it quickly. :/ Hopefully I've made amends by posting my solution here.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hi all...firstly thanks for trying to help me!

Found out what was wrong. Comodo internet security was blocking Java from accessing the internet (intermittently - which is odd!). I only figured this out when I tried to install and play Feed The Beast and wasn't able to download any modpacks or play online - with very similar errors. I added javaw.exe to comodo app permit list, as well as the launchers but just wouldn't work.

I uninstalled Comodo and went with microsoft security essentials - now FTB and StarMade are working perfectly.

Sorry for all my griping and complaining - the game is excellent and runs perfectly, the issues were all on my side, I just wasn't smart enough to fix it quickly. :/ Hopefully I've made amends by posting my solution here.

It was a bad error message text too.

I loaded up my Single Player game and was surprised to see a new error :

Server Reject: this login name is protected on this server!
    You either aren't logged in via uplink, or the protected name belongs to another user!
    Please use the "Uplink" menu to authenticate this name!
    Is distracting

IllegalArgumentException : unresolved address
    is good, but not helpful to the inexperienced.

It should say that it is not able to access the internet address of StraMade, it's server or not able to access the "Internet Address Book" which is called DNS-server.