Cannot connect to Starmade.org

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I keep getting the error: [socketexception invalid argument: connect] whenever I launch the starter. I am also unable to uplink with starmade.org and get the same message when I try.

This wouldn't be so bad if I were able to play single-player, but when I click 'ok' to lauch the game, the 'StarMade Connector' just says 'connecting to local host:4242' and goes no further. :/

Reaction score
    Select Single Player on the launcher.

You are attempting to connect to a multiplayer server, and the default IP is localhost:4242. Obviously, if you didnt start the dedicated server, there is nothing to connect to via localhost.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just tried it again 5 more times with singleplayer selected, same problem, same message.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Reset your universe - What has happened is that your current universe has become corrupt. At the connection setup, click tools > reset universe. Backup if you want and proceed with the reset.

Now try getting into single player.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nothing different, still takes me to the connecting to localhost:4242 window. :/

Can\'t even send an error report because it gives me the same connection error when I try.

Reaction score
    That message literally means it is attempting to connect to a server at 127.0.0.1:4242.

Why does this topic sound so familiar...

try a full clean sweep uninstall of the game and reinstall it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can\'t even do a regular instal because it wont connect. I ended up just manually instaling it.

I already deleted the files and re-downloaded the whole thing after nothing else worked.

This may be why it seems familiar, but I\'m computer retarded and hesitant to type command prompts that I don\'t know exactly what they do. Will this help, you think?

https://star-made.org/content/updater-fails-start

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did a bit of research and found out that the command line \"setx _JAVA_OPTIONS -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true\" (without the \" marks) fixes it.

Turns out my internet provider only uses the old IPv4 protocol and the latest version of Java uses IPv6 so it wouldn\'t connect to starmade.org.

If my explaination is incorrect, please forgive my ignorance. I just learned what IPv4 is today.

Thanks for all the help anyway. You astronauts are great!