Can we play at servers atm?

Reaction score
    I currently started over at Brierie servers, and in the 3 hours of playtime I invested there, I had this huge 2000ms lag spikes every 20 or 30 min for like 5 minutes. Right now the server had an "error" and I needed to log off.

My question: Do I have the same problems on other server atm too? I am now trying to play on systemhack... What's about cakebuild - are they stable (so no 2000ms lag every 30 min or so) atm?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    cakebuild did crash the other day, but usually it goes for most of a week before crashing due to user input :P

Ping only spikes occasionally when auto-saving but its only 100ms more not a thousand. You might want to ask around and make sure people aren't just "resting" ships on planets and having the game continuously do physics calculations, or have fleet drones crashing into stations etc etc, cause that doesn't sound usual.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    CPU-power should be distributed among players …
    We could have time-flow-zones where systems have a slightly different flow of time (10% increased/decreased compared to the neighbour). Unloaded systems would get adjusted on load.

IRL we also have different time-flow-zones. The closer to light-speed, the slower the time goes.
    If your our would turn into a black hole, we would perceive time differently.
    Creating lag would just affect the "mass of the sun" and the mass is higher for objects which rotate as rotation also counts toward the "closer to light-speed".

Reactions: Az14el and Arkudo

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    CPU-power should be distributed among players …
    We could have time-flow-zones where systems have a slightly different flow of time (10% increased/decreased compared to the neighbour). Unloaded systems would get adjusted on load.

IRL we also have different time-flow-zones. The closer to light-speed, the slower the time goes.
    If your our would turn into a black hole, we would perceive time differently.
    Creating lag would just affect the "mass of the sun" and the mass is higher for objects which rotate as rotation also counts toward the "closer to light-speed".
    That sounds a little outside the scope of the game. And impossible to do, without inacting retroacitve effects, like someone shot you just now where you were 30 minutes ago and you died and everything you did afterthat is retroactively undone, because your worldline is ahead of someone elses in game, but your both still playing in the same time frame.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That sounds a little outside the scope of the game. And impossible to do, without inacting retroacitve effects, like someone shot you just now where you were 30 minutes ago and you died and everything you did afterthat is retroactively undone, because your worldline is ahead of someone elses in game, but your both still playing in the same time frame.
    I don't think you understood (jet).

There is no past or future. Only a common present.
    Time is the "inner rate of change".
    Travelling to the future is by lowering your rate of change.
    Travelling to the past is by forking the universe, press the fast-forward button for the fork and TP something into the original. Then killing the fork.
    You can only travel to a past entry point if you are within such a fast-forward fork.
    Edit: But nobody will travel to the past, everyone will only travel to the future by crossing a sector border, so no problem.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My question: Do I have the same problems on other server atm too? I am now trying to play on systemhack... What's about cakebuild - are they stable (so no 2000ms lag every 30 min or so) atm?
    All servers have this atm. But you mostly see it when the player count goes up.

Brierie is very popular. There where more then 50 people online yesterday. So it gets hit hard with problems.

Currently there are some nasty bugs in StarMade. Also the NPC Factions are drawing an exponential amount of server resource.

Personally i think that currently no server should allow more then 30 people on. There is just to much going on in the universe at any one time. It has to be networked to all the players online creating back log as the server tries to keep up.

Server settings have a big impact on how well a server runs. But the current bugs and NPC "when used" are universal.

Reaction score
    starmade is disastrously unstable and basically unplayable in mp environments without server admins enacting VERY strict configs and rules; this is why i complain so much about fixing bugs and stability issues before doing other things. bataviums got it right, 30+ players is unstable on even the best servers if just a few of those people decide do do anything intense.

Reaction score
    starmade is disastrously unstable and basically unplayable in mp environments without server admins enacting VERY strict configs and rules; this is why i complain so much about fixing bugs and stability issues before doing other things. bataviums got it right, 30+ players is unstable on even the best servers if just a few of those people decide do do anything intense.
    I find that debatable. Brierie, even with 50 players, is only really unstable with mass entities or after about 8-12 hours of running. The only real rules are no griefing and no intentional lagging.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't think you understood (jet).
    There is no past or future. Only a common present.
    Time is the "inner rate of change".
    Travelling to the future is by lowering your rate of change.
    Travelling to the past is by forking the universe, press the fast-forward button for the fork and TP something into the original. Then killing the fork.​
    You can only travel to a past entry point if you are within such a fast-forward fork.​

Instructions not clear ship stuck in toaster

Reaction score
    I am normally not renting, but I really don't understand, how this server problems where I get a disconnect every 5 minutes did not appear when they tested the Starmade update...

Anyhow - are the development versions more stable? :D

Reaction score
    I find that debatable. Brierie, even with 50 players, is only really unstable with mass entities or after about 8-12 hours of running. The only real rules are no griefing and no intentional lagging.
    ill respectfully disagree and point you to the massive amount of crash notifications and entity deletion notifications on their discord help channels. every single day it crashes a doze ntimes and 5 ships vanish and dump their cores everywhere, with admin confirmation and picture evidence.
    [doublepost=1490505142,1490505072][/doublepost]youre also not taking into account the fact that at any given time over 50% of brierie is sitting in a single 5 mass ship in an empty sectors doing nothing intensive.

Reaction score
    I should try another server where the admins might be online more as on Briere... Even though I don't like to because the others only have 5 people give or take online - But maybe it helps when some lag monster ships get deleted faster?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ill respectfully disagree and point you to the massive amount of crash notifications and entity deletion notifications on their discord help channels. every single day it crashes a doze ntimes and 5 ships vanish and dump their cores everywhere, with admin confirmation and picture evidence.
    Use this every time someone says something negative about Schemas programming skills
    Failing memory management in Java? :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What's about cakebuild - are they stable (so no 2000ms lag every 30 min or so) atm?
    In my experience so far, Cake is pretty stable, yes. Occasionally you'll get a lag spike, but thats usually because a player did something stupid like accidentally dropped a 100x100x100 cube of blocks or undocked something big in too small of a space.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Keep in mind that playing on a lower pop server will not only help the lag issue, it will help increase the server pop. People mostly skip over server with under 5 players consistently, but above that and they get checked out a lot. If you find one with 5 or 6 player and it works well for you and has a good ping, go with that, because it only takes a few more active players to get such server on the popular list and they grow faster from there. Brierie's used to be very quiet for like a year or two... rarely more than 5 on. Now it's the busiest. More players attract more players, so just join the mid pop server with the best ping and rules you like.