Can someone convert for me ?

Reaction score
    Hey guys,

after 2 days of trying to import a ship from an obj file into the game i give up.
    i become a lot of error messages and now finally the program refuse to start.

So my question is : Can somebody convert the linked obj file into a sment ?
    size of the model : 100 Blocks

it would be great if someone can do this for me :D

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Hi.

Did you try to convert the 'obj' file in the SMedit software, and then import it to an older version of StarMade?

If I'm not mistaken, SMedit can only import sment-from-obj files to game versions older than version 0.198.485 (because there were some changes to so-called "chunk size" after that version).

Just download a separate copy of version 0.198.485, set that as the install directory in SMedit, and then move the blueprint generated this way into the newer copy of the game you are usually using.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Okay, I messed around for about 10 minutes with your ship, and it's done.

Is it supposed to look like in the picture below?

When I imported the 'obj' file, it was vertical, but I assumed it shouldn't be, so I flipped it in the game (and also made sure that it's symmetrical).

It's kinda rough at the 100 m length you requested, but anyways, I attached the 'sment' file to this message, just click on it to download :^D

1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    i opend it in starmade and the roughness is okay . i only need the ground shape

thank you for your great help :D

You are welcome, I'm glad that I could helped.

I think it's a very nice overall shape, it will surely turn out great.

Have fun building it! :D

Reaction score
    You are welcome, I'm glad that I could helped.

I think it's a very nice overall shape, it will surely turn out great.

Have fun building it! :D
    It's a Jem'Hadar ship (the common variety) from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, by the looks. I hope he's gonna do the hull coloring, cause it really completes the look of them (purple hull, pink nacelle lighting).

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It's a Jem'Hadar ship (the common variety) from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, by the looks. I hope he's gonna do the hull coloring, cause it really completes the look of them (purple hull, pink nacelle lighting).

Thank you for the info. I looked up the ship, and I really like its structure. It's kinda insectile, reminds me of some beetle, and the purple-on-grey color scheme looks really nice.

But I also noticed that I built the shape backwards with respect to the core :D The model was originally vertical, had to flip it, and I thought those lateral engines were guns, so I went by those. I even cut a cockpit window where I assumed one should be, which provides a nice unobstructed view from the core.

I hope you know how the rotate the whole thing before building anything into it, Spacebrain :D

Reaction score
    Thank you for the info. I looked up the ship, and I really like its structure. It's kinda insectile, reminds me of some beetle, and the purple-on-grey color scheme looks really nice.

But I also noticed that I built the shape backwards with respect to the core :D The model was originally vertical, had to flip it, and I thought those lateral engines were guns, so I went by those. I even cut a cockpit window where I assumed one should be, which provides a nice unobstructed view from the core.

I hope you know how the rotate the whole thing before building anything into it, Spacebrain :D
    A window? Downright decadent! :giggle:
    The Jem'Hadar had no windows, no screens, and no chairs. They had a Google Glass-like monocle to pilot and their only sustenance was a drug that keeps them from going insane. The only reason the interior was so spacious is because the ship doubled as a troop transport.

As far as the canonical weapons, by the way, it had one big beam at the front and some missiles front and back.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Great job!, glad you got it working.
    Personally I convert the model in an OBJ, import it into binvox (Using exact vox. for a cleaner hull)
    From there I either export as a blueprint or import into Smedit so I can move the core around first.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    A window? Downright decadent! :giggle:
    The Jem'Hadar had no windows, no screens, and no chairs. They had a Google Glass-like monocle to pilot and their only sustenance was a drug that keeps them from going insane. The only reason the interior was so spacious is because the ship doubled as a troop transport.

As far as the canonical weapons, by the way, it had one big beam at the front and some missiles front and back.
    Interesting. Those Jem'Hadar aliens sure sound like some real "techno stoics". - Not even chairs? Hats off to them! :)

Great job!, glad you got it working.
    Personally I convert the model in an OBJ, import it into binvox (Using exact vox. for a cleaner hull)
    From there I either export as a blueprint or import into Smedit so I can move the core around first.
    At some point (perhaps upon revisiting my barely started, organically shaped guitar player robot project) I will have to try one of the hull smoothing intermediary processes I often hear about. The few things I based on 3D models so far were made using SMedit only, including a cruiser hull I designed in SketchUp.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Interesting. Those Jem'Hadar aliens sure sound like some real "techno stoics". - Not even chairs? Hats off to them! :)

At some point (perhaps upon revisiting my barely started, organically shaped guitar player robot project) I will have to try one of the hull smoothing intermediary processes I often hear about. The few things I based on 3D models so far were made using SMedit only, including a cruiser hull I designed in SketchUp.
    Yeah, they sure are something (and are less silly than Klingons).
    You should really watch Deep Space Nine sometime, it's the best Star Trek series and the great lore is a big part of it.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    i know they had no windows . but before i start to build i take a look at a lot of Pictures of attack ships. And there are Windows !?

My problem with the windows is : There are to many of them. The ship has only a length of 90m. with this amount of windows they must be very small.

Attachments

Reaction score
    i know they had no windows . but before i start to build i take a look at a lot of Pictures of attack ships. And there are Windows !?

My problem with the windows is : There are to many of them. The ship has only a length of 90m. with this amount of windows they must be very small.
    This is a problem on many Star Trek ships starting from TNG: Illogically-placed windows on the models to give a sense of scale, which don't exist on the interior.
    The Galaxy class has really weird stretched ones all around the saucer while the interior only shows fairly standard side windows. The Defiant has two rows of windows on its pontoons, below the rest of the hull...but there's only one deck there, and Defiant decks are unusually short (so you'd have one window at your feet and one in the jeffreys tube above).
    I'd just put in lights for the windows and consider them decorative.

As for how the windows got like this to begin with, it's the classic problem where a model is built at one scale (150m in this case), but then shown at another onscreen (90m) because relative sizing could be used to support the narrative. There also was possibly confusion on units with producers believing it was 150ft. The episodes establishing the spartan-ness of the ship also came after its exterior was first shown.
    The Defiant had a similar problem. The model was made for 170m, but the most common size in the series, and the one the internal setup works for, was 120m (with occasional 50m due to keeping it looking small vs. some ships that weren't very big).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor

Once you understand how it works it's very easy imo and gives you much cleaner models : )
    Going straight into smedit tends to require a bit of a clean-up afterward.

e.g I would simply type in something like: binvox -d 440 -e -ri SBYShip.obj (max dimension is 440, vox everything with part of the model, remove internal voxels).
    This is the hot-off the press result: (just spent 30 seconds adding some colour)

There's also a version which does it all automatically (just drag and drop) and can go straight to blueprints.
    Happy to share the programs or do it for anyone : )

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Once you understand how it works it's very easy imo and gives you much cleaner models : )
    Going straight into smedit tends to require a bit of a clean-up afterward.

e.g I would simply type in something like: binvox -d 440 -e -ri SBYShip.obj (max dimension is 440, vox everything with part of the model, remove internal voxels).
    This is the hot-off the press result: (just spent 30 seconds adding some colour)

There's also a version which does it all automatically (just drag and drop) and can go straight to blueprints.
    Happy to share the programs or do it for anyone : )
    <.< what cha doin' there? ;p

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    <.< what cha doin' there? ;p
    Your Yamato deserves a worthy opponent, I've been building Deslars new flagship for you to blow up XD
    I just enjoy converting models on my computer to see how they turn out :P It's been about a year since I actually finished a project I was working on........

Reactions: MrGrey1