Can I make a ship not span 5 sectors to properly space the reactor and stabiliazers?

Reaction score
    I have a salvage ship, and I have salvage beams.
    However, they take a lot of power. Currently, my salvager is incredibly long, just to get my stabilizers to 40% efficiency, but the more salvage beams I add, the more reactors I need, and the longer it gets.
    I would like a way to make my ship not be a long Italian spaghetti noodle, and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
    You sure your reactor isn't just oversized for what it needs to do?

Thrust is much more effective than before, and salvage beams are 5 times stronger, so it's fine 40m long staffs for full power.

Considering salvagers tend to be wide, you could also use the new, multi-dimensional reactor thing. Meaning multiple stabilizers, above and besides the reactor.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have a salvage ship, and I have salvage beams.
    However, they take a lot of power. Currently, my salvager is incredibly long, just to get my stabilizers to 40% efficiency, but the more salvage beams I add, the more reactors I need, and the longer it gets.
    I would like a way to make my ship not be a long Italian spaghetti noodle, and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    You must be new. Spaghetti shaped ships are all the rage.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe someone should just read the recent patchnotes.
    Always thoose that shout and complain in the first 2 seconds without having any idea how things turn out.

you can place multiple stabilizer groups on diffrenet axis to decrease individual stabilizer distance from reactor. like mentioned above. You can always just increase the number of stabilizers aswell.
    that aside spaghetti never made it into release. thanks to integrety.
    you can always just increase the number of stabilizers aswell.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blakpik

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Always thoose that shout and complain in the first 2 seconds without having any idea how things turn out.

you can place multiple stabilizer groups on diffrenet axis to decrease individual stabilizer distance from reactor. like mentioned above. You can always just increase the number of stabilizers aswell.
    that aside spaghetti never made it into release. thanks to integrety.
    you can always just increase the number of stabilizers aswell.
    Calm your tits kid, it's a fucking joke.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You sure your reactor isn't just oversized for what it needs to do?

Thrust is much more effective than before, and salvage beams are 5 times stronger, so it's fine 40m long staffs for full power.

Considering salvagers tend to be wide, you could also use the new, multi-dimensional reactor thing. Meaning multiple stabilizers, above and besides the reactor.
    Maybe I'm outdated, but 40m long salvage arrays were the meta, due to the salvage damage per tick.
    To say 40m arrays are fine now, I have to wonder what that actually means.

Reaction score

you can place multiple stabilizer groups on diffrenet axis to decrease individual stabilizer distance from reactor.
    The update that added the stability dimension thing was made a few days ago, ironic.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    40m long salvage arrays should only need to be about 10m long now. There was a sneaky patch that increased power consumption and Salvage power by at least a factor of 5.
    Would need to do some more testing, but you should need a whole lot less salavage blocks.

Powering it hopefully shouldn't be an issue, I would be more worried about structual integrity.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You're fine, honestly.

Just because a stabilizer isn't at 100% effectiveness doesn't mean it doesn't work at all. They're lightweight and the number you actually need are still pretty small compared to overall block count.

Its a mining ship, not a bleeding edge competitive PvP build, a few extra stabilizer blocks won't really hurt anything.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Yes, salvagers are 5 times more powerful now. According to my testing, you can build an array 80% smaller now, for the same salvage power you had before.

For an example, I had a salvager requiring 51450 salvage modules in 1029 groups (50 block groups)for a total salvage power of 25,6 blocks/sec.

With Power 2.0, I can cut this down to only 10290 salvage modules in the said 1029 groups (10 block groups) to achieve identical performance. Even counting in the reactor setup (the array I tested would easily run off a 180-200k reactor in Power 2.0), this array will end up having a lower block count than it's Power 1.0 counterpart.

Yes, the array is still overpowered due to the sheer number of beams, but I was using it as an example. From a practical standpoint, such an array is overkill already. You can perfectly well get along using only 400-500 groups, to reduce lag and improve overall performance in-game while mining.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, salvagers are 5 times more powerful now. According to my testing, you can build an array 80% smaller now, for the same salvage power you had before.
    Heh, nice. I'm going to have to completely rebuild my miners now. I love it! :D

Reaction score
    Maybe I'm outdated, but 40m long salvage arrays were the meta, due to the salvage damage per tick.
    To say 40m arrays are fine now, I have to wonder what that actually means.
    You want 200 dmg per salvage beam. I've misremembered, it's actually 20 salvage blocks now, not 40. 10 dmg per block.

Before the reactor update, you needed 100 blocks per beam. Can't remember if 40 was ever the meta.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Really? was it 40m before? Thought it was 100 or so!
    Its been so long, but it was like 20 salvage and 20 cannons per group and it gave you a block every tick or two. But who knows, configs might have changed between then and now, cause that was half a year ago it feels.
    But my salvagers were always designed with 40m long salvage blocks on the front.

Reaction score
    Miners are actually smaller than before. My new mining ship is only 5k and can max out the lag threshold on all the major servers. It is about 300m tall as per the original 1-dimension mechanic, but with the new stab mechanics, you could make something more reasonable like a 140m ship with 4-40m nacels.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Before the reactor update, you needed 100 blocks per beam. Can't remember if 40 was ever the meta.
    IIRC, it was basically "second best meta". The way it worked/works is that you needed to do 200 points of "damage" to a block to successfully salvage it. There were some oddities with the amount of damage the first tick did compared to the secondary ones which meant it wasn't a straight 1:1 need... but the point was that if you went with less than 100%, you needed to do it in even halves to avoid wasting ticks.

As in, you needed 200 damage total. If you did 100 damage per tick, you'd eat the block in 2 ticks. If you did 99 damage, it would take 3 ticks and most of the final tick was wasted. So for maximum efficiency for a given size, it needed to divide equally into 200 (so 100, 50, 25, etc) so as to not waste any power on an over-tick. Again, there was some weirdness there with exactly what you needed to actually get those numbers, but yeah.