Building planes of blocks at odd angles?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does anyone have tips on building surface planes at odd angles on ships? That is, the plane isn't only tilted on an x, y, or z axis, but two or possibly all axis, and not at any sort of even 45' increments.

Here's an example of a surface plane I'm trying, and failing, at filling in. I can't really change the angles things are at as this is a replica ship and not an original design.
    planes at odd angles.jpg

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Copy paste is your best bet for weird angles.
    Of course, which I have been employing strongly for this build (it's over 800 m long with loooong flat surfaces, so I'm using copy-paste plenty). The problem is calculating the correct patterns for especially odd angles, such as the one in center-view of my screenshot. The large surface on the bottom-right hand side worked fine as it was fairly flat, and easy to calculate the pattern for. The one in center-view, however, is difficult to calculate correctly, and I'm not so sure a simple repeating pattern will actually work, as the current pattern I was using (essentially extruding the more simple face to the left of it at an angle) was not lining up correctly.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    you could try using slabs as gradients instead on certain parts. can be very effective. maybe wont help with some of the weirder angles, but its an additional option.

edit: been trying to find a ship on the CC i saw that was a good example, but cant remember its bloody name.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Have you tried mounting the plate on a non-weaponized turret?

Steps:
    1. Build a turret rotor block at the point where the angle rotation is centered (or close to it), pointed in the direction of the rotation axis.
    2. Build a docker into this rotor and add a core as if you were making a 2-d rotation turret.
    3. Build an armor plate above all this. (Note: Do -not- add a Bobby AI block, but feel free to add a Faction block)
    4. Exit build mode and enter the turret-plate's core to pilot it.
    5. Manually pilot the plate into the correct angle.
    6. Exit the core and re-enter build mode on the mother entity.
    7. Build blocks around the rotated turret-plate to keep it at the current rotation.
    8. Avoid using the turret auto-alignment function. (This is why a lot of builders would simply like to have a free-rotation block, similar to the turret block; to avoid re-alignment problems, while being able to reset all their turrets to the "home" position.)
    9. Hope your ship doesn't get banned by the admin staff for being a potential lag bomb.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Have you tried mounting the plate on a non-weaponized turret?

Steps:
    1. Build a turret rotor block at the point where the angle rotation is centered (or close to it), pointed in the direction of the rotation axis.
    2. Build a docker into this rotor and add a core as if you were making a 2-d rotation turret.
    3. Build an armor plate above all this. (Note: Do -not- add a Bobby AI block, but feel free to add a Faction block)
    4. Exit build mode and enter the turret-plate's core to pilot it.
    5. Manually pilot the plate into the correct angle.
    6. Exit the core and re-enter build mode on the mother entity.
    7. Build blocks around the rotated turret-plate to keep it at the current rotation.
    8. Avoid using the turret auto-alignment function. (This is why a lot of builders would simply like to have a free-rotation block, similar to the turret block; to avoid re-alignment problems, while being able to reset all their turrets to the "home" position.)
    9. Hope your ship doesn't get banned by the admin staff for being a potential lag bomb.

I'll be completely honest, this is a solution that did pop into my head, but one I quickly discarded as I don't like needlessly using docked entities in such ways where it isn't necessary, due to the slight amount of added system strain. I'd rather spend the extra effort to hammer out the level surface by hand. The only real problem is just figuring out the pattern to make it fit the angle correctly. Thank you for the suggestion, though!
    [doublepost=1497287790,1497287700][/doublepost]
    you could try using slabs as gradients instead on certain parts. can be very effective. maybe wont help with some of the weirder angles, but its an additional option.

edit: been trying to find a ship on the CC i saw that was a good example, but cant remember its bloody name.
    Using slabs is certainly a solution in /certain/ circumstances, but in this specific situation, it would not be a solution that works well (large ship, and this is an angled plan next to planes at other angles, and I'm wedging everything I can). Thank you for the input, though!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    if i am correct you are building an acclamator assault ship from star wars.
    i made one 1:1 scale Acclamator class assault ship
    maybe by having a look at it it will help you build your version.
    I remember this part was awful to build, i built it and built it again and again five times i think before obtaining something to my taste.

Reactions: Az14el

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    betcha your thinking of "insert recent schnell ship here"

SBS Adina

SBS Thor - Corvette (actually a community hull base but still Schnells unique detailing & curves)

I don't know if theres anyone on the dock who does slabby angles as well or convincingly, but definitely seen some other really nice slab work from server side factions/non released work too, including some Star Destroyers (they can look super convincing with slabs)

*edit because herp derp one of those sexy slabbed SDs was posted already lol
    sorry for missing that Poulpy

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sachys
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    if i am correct you are building an acclamator assault ship from star wars.
    i made one 1:1 scale Acclamator class assault ship
    maybe by having a look at it it will help you build your version.
    I remember this part was awful to build, i built it and built it again and again five times i think before obtaining something to my taste.
    Indeed I am! I really like how your shell looks, but I wanted to make my own and especially have an RP-able interior :D
    Hmm, I may just pull it down to see if a pattern similar to yours works. My ship is slightly large, I think, at just over 800 m long, but it still may work as an example fine. Thank you!