Building my first GOOD station, need help!

Reaction score
    Hello all!

TL:DR
    I'd love a list of REQUIRED items that should be on a space station so i can build a masterpiece for you all :)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So I've been playing Starmade now off and on since 2016. To make a long story short, I understand how to build as I only play single player creative (I love the building aspect of this game). I'm focused on making an actual Space Station for my faction and have made about 5 that have never been finished. Here's my question to you all.

1) What needs to be in a real space station to be fully functional in survival mode?

I ask this because I love building things in this game, but also want my creations to be usable by the community.. Not just for myself during fun creative game play. So far my stations have always had the following..

1) Shields / Power (pretty obvious here)
    2) Docking (i usually include 2-3 different docking methods since everyone builds are different)
    3) Storage (for mining materials)
    4) Defense (turrets)

This is about where I've stopped most builds and have been stumped. I know I should have factories, but since I've never played survival before I've never used them lol.

P.S. I'm not asking for guides on how to build these items that should be in a space station, that I can figure out on my own.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    aside from what you already have, Undeathinators are useful. You already mentioned factories and they're about the only other thing that could be considered needed

Other than that, It's Decoration and RP elements that you choose to throw in.

Reactions: Starlord Nero
    Reaction score
    aside from what you already have, Undeathinators are useful. You already mentioned factories and they're about the only other thing that could be considered needed

Other than that, It's Decoration and RP elements that you choose to throw in.
    Thank you for the reply. That's not bad then, I guess I was overthinking things. I see some amazing stations that people have built and I feel like they have soo much more than I ever put on my stations. I will do more research into factories and get to perfecting my already crazy builds. Now if only I could learn to build smaller... I seem to love MEGA builds.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to include Undeathinators and factories into my builds.

Reaction score
    Check out my Dethicon Station on here, feel free to look and copy my factory systems. I make chains of factories and make it so every block has an off and on switch, and it all goes to a sorter and is linked with the ship yard as well. its almost automated. It has working elevators for up and down, multi level too.

https://starmadedock.net/content/dethicon.7431/

Reaction score
    - I'd add a shop module with some consistent cargo extensions tied to it for inter-player or player-NPC factions trading and at least one chest with even more cargo extensions for the materials you want to stockpile for your future plans. At least 1k cargo expansions totally. A few k would be more comfortable.
    - Some players also love shipyards.
    - It would be gorgeous if a player owned station could power not just station turrets, but also all the ships docked to the station. This would allow the docked ships to shoot at the enemies in range even if they can not undock and to use their own shields if they are not completely covered by station's shields. And if such a station for at least 3 of my ships would ever exist and not be a source of lag, I'd be happy. My ships tend to be around 100k reactor blocks each (plus stabs and chambers) so I'd expect station should have at least 5Me/s available to spend for every dock.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The most important thing, for me, is good storage.

Which means lots of cargo space, lots of storage container blocks, and a LOT of sorting filters.

For my stations, docking that can pull cargo, automatically sort mined materials into raw storage, sort salvaged parts into proper containers, and move them all around without me having to manually touch anything are essential.

After that, its tiered automated factories that can pull from all stored materials and push finished goods out into storage automatically.