Rejected Bubble Shields

Reaction score
    Shields right now hug closely to the ship why not have them be in a bubble shape around the ship at a distance set by a multiplier of a ships size (Example: .1x bigger bubble for a ship) this provides an open space on large vessels for smaller ships to enter, In this in-between area shields would have no effect and a fighter could actually do damage.

Real life fighters can sink battleships. Starmade should be no different

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Not against this or anything. I think most of us want more exciting shielding. I do want to point out that real life fighters done have to worry about running into shields though :P

Reactions: philthy mcnasty
    Reaction score
    Not against this or anything. I think most of us want more exciting shielding. I do want to point out that real life fighters done have to worry about running into shields though :p
    Goood to see you sir, im a subscriber on youtube.

though i must say that a bubble shield would be more exciting as it creates a challenge to keep small enough ships to enter at a distance.

BTW i heard that your faction is having trouble with the cobalt royalty, Hope you can survive :)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations

though i must say that a bubble shield would be more exciting as it creates a challenge to keep small enough ships to enter at a distance.

BTW i heard that your faction is having trouble with the cobalt royalty, Hope you can survive :)
    It seems to have calmed down a bit. I have been too busy to really notice actually. I think everyone is playing ARK atm.

Reaction score
    It seems to have calmed down a bit. I have been too busy to really notice actually. I think everyone is playing ARK atm.
    thats good news, Though i do have some ships i might want your opinion on, I can send them if you'd like

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

No one is having trouble with us (CR), and we dont like to cause any trouble.

All for the fun of the game and...

Dunno why you think we intend to wipe factions out anyway xD
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436603315,1436603095][/DOUBLEPOST]Bubble shields would be nice, especially if you can enlarge that bubble to cover MOAR ships :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Fun fact: Starmade has had bubble shields in the past, they were changed to skin shields for better game performance and several other issues i believe.

Reactions: Kyoretsu

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    there was too much lag with bubble shield at the the time, calculation on spheres are heavy, it would be even more with rails !
    anyway this suggestions was asked a lot of time x)

Reaction score
    Like others have said, surface shields are much easier to work with performance wise. I would be up for some form of system to bypass (some) shielding as you get closer, but I think more convenient repairs should be implemented before this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    They may come back when the game gets better optimization. Though i would rather have atmospheres, and liquids then bubble shields.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There's a number of reasons that we have the current skin shields, mostly performance issues. Bubble shields is also one of the most suggested (and rejected) feature ever.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Why not use the Ellipsoid Generator algorithm to create an ellipsoid based on a ship's bounding box, and use the resulting positions like "blocks" to make a cheap collision area for shields? The visual effect could be an actual sphere (If we have pulse VFX as spheres, then there's no way in hell that the visuals were what's causing too much lag.), but there's no reason the collision box has to be?

Reactions: Captain Fortius

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ith, try generating about thirty one-kilometer radius spheroids per second ingame. It'll cause just as much lag.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There's an easy solution. Not a great one, but it's an okay one.

Just create an ellipsoid of forcefields around your ship. That way you have an extra layer if your shields go down. Their HP is as strong as advanced (I believe), so this can definitely be effective.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Shields right now hug closely to the ship why not have them be in a bubble shape around the ship at a distance set by a multiplier of a ships size (Example: .1x bigger bubble for a ship) this provides an open space on large vessels for smaller ships to enter, In this in-between area shields would have no effect and a fighter could actually do damage.

Real life fighters can sink battleships. Starmade should be no different
    what is this with you and wanting to make fighters be the go to ship?
    its like you want battleships to be extinct
    every sugestion by you has to do with making large ships easy to kill using a tiny fly

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well if it was just one big spherical shield collision box it might be fine. Not sure what the performance issues from a single object acting as a shield would be though. Definitely would be less than generating it in sections though. Less objects = less lag.

Reaction score
    what is this with you and wanting to make fighters be the go to ship?
    its like you want battleships to be extinct
    every sugestion by you has to do with making large ships easy to kill using a tiny fly
    Big ships have a monopoly! Ready history and you'll find that in WWII more battleships were sunk by Aircraft and destroyers and submarines than by other battleships.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Real life fighters can sink battleships. Starmade should be no different... Big ships have a monopoly! Ready history and you'll find that in WWII more battleships were sunk by Aircraft and destroyers and submarines than by other battleships.
    Impervious energy shields and heavy automation (less need for human-support structures) change everything.

A server with shields disabled would be interesting, and would probably bring fighters back to the fore.

Reaction score
    Impervious energy shields and heavy automation (less need for human-support structures) change everything.

A server with shields disabled would be interesting, and would probably bring fighters back to the fore.
    The new hull update would make that possible because now ships can survive hull damage.