Bridge experiment

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I had a neat idea for a bridge. Well, I say I did, I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it. I've never seen it implemented before though.

http://i.imgur.com/1o2dcUY.gifv

Instead of looking outside the ship through windows, you'll be shown a 360-degree (almost) view of your surroundings on the monitors covering the walls of the room. Obviously it actually doesn't work but that's not what's important. :p

Unfortunately it doesn't come off without a hitch. The game seems to forget you were sitting in the chair when exiting the ship core since the core and the chair are technically on different ship entities.

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, I had trouble deciding between general, logic or shipyard... I settled on shipyard since it's an aesthetic thing.

Reaction score
    Unfortunately it doesn't come off without a hitch. The game seems to forget you were sitting in the chair when exiting the ship core since the core and the chair are technically on different ship entities.
    Im not sure if I understand you but you should be able to sit in a seperate entity, shift to another, exit, and still be sitting in the spot you were beforehand. I have a fighter whose cockpit is seperate from the actual ship and it's worked fine for me without any issues.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It'd be epic if the "screen" actually worked.

Needless to say, this is still pretty awesome. Very nice concept, I like!

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I keep expecting 'Cube' style death traps to spring from the walls.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Im not sure if I understand you but you should be able to sit in a seperate entity, shift to another, exit, and still be sitting in the spot you were beforehand. I have a fighter whose cockpit is seperate from the actual ship and it's worked fine for me without any issues.
    Does that work for you when you're only sitting on the cockpit entity? I think I understand what you're saying, but the core in the moving chair ship isn't involved. There's only an aesthetic wedge chair.

Reaction score
    The game seems to forget you were sitting in the chair when exiting the ship core
    Ah, I think I understand what you're saying. You ride the chair up, then enter the Ship Core above it, and when you leave the ship core, instead of emerging back on your chair, you appear in the air next to the chair (and potentially fall to the floor of the room).
    Not sure what you can do about it though.

Still, its a very awesome concept; looks very impressive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The game is apparently very aggressive when it comes to adjusting your gravity in this situation. As soon as I jump off the platform I enter the influence of the main ship and my gravity is neutralized. When I exit the main ship core I just hang in midair above the chair next to the core. Not exactly the most immersive transition, but it works well enough. I think I might try building a ship around this project.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's a sweet setup if it worked. I've always wondered if someday we'd be able to link cameras to display modules. We can always hope, though i doubt it. They would probably be small and hard to see, not to mention the probable performance cost.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This idea is worthy of a texture hack, I think. (Where when displays are set up as external cameras, the screen is not actually rendered. Instead, the space around the ship is rendered. The outer edge of each display block is visible, but the screen itself shows outside the ship, as if the chair had risen up out of the ship and you were simply looking out at space.)

However, such a hack might not be possible with the current engine if there are intervening hallways or other spaces in the ship between the screen and outside the ship. Then you'd see the intervening spaces inside the ship instead of space outside the ship. Of course, then a clever player could still make it work by lining the intervening space with display blocks, again set to display space.

Reactions: Zekester81