Brainstorming: Scaleable Universes

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, one problem we have with the game is that while the universe is effectively infinite, the realistic limitations are one galaxy per server. Devs have already said that they are intending to greatly reduce other galaxies as options, make it much harder to get to them, etc., so they basically acknowledge that this is a thing and are working to improve the galaxy.

Problem: Limited space in one galaxy means increasing competition for said space increases with server age, with the older the server, the less appealing it is to new players due to excessive amounts of time required to reach unclaimed space. Which leads to less new people joining said server, which leads to the server dying if it isn't wiped and restarted regularly.

Solutions? I dunno, lets brainstorm. Maybe somebody will hit on an idea that works.

Instanced Territory
    Not the most desirable, and rather directly against the stated desires of the devs. However, if each player/faction had instanced territory, they could expand and grow indefinitely without worrying about being crowded out by other players, and without worry about being the ones to crowd out other players. Would also help break the game up into more manageable pieces, serverside.

Expanding Universe
    Perhaps instead of a static sized fixed galaxy, the size of the galaxy could expand as territory is claimed. The more people, the more room becomes available for them. Still suffers from the problem of trying to get to the expanded territory from spawn, unless new space becomes available evenly distributed by inserting it between existing territories. Would be kind of weird to have entire star systems pop up between two factions out of nowhere though.

Random Starting Locations
    If instead of having everyone spawn at the same place, perhaps each player could spawn inside of a random unclaimed system. There would then never be an issue of trying to strike out and find open space to claim, and it would reducing clumping. Could give the option of starting at a standard spawn point (like we do now) or picking a random spawn point, in case someone wanted to join a friend who could then come pick them up without them spawning in on the opposite end of the galaxy.

Random Starting Locations + Expanding Universe
    Could combine those last two. As more territory gets claimed, more opens up around the outside edges of the galaxy. Then there is that much more space for new players to randomly spawn into. Of the ideas I've got off the top of my head, this one I like most because it lets established players have their boarder wars with each other, while new players are guaranteed fresh virgin space to set up shop in.

Unclaimed System Resets & Unfactioning
    Another problem we currently have is even when someone stops playing long enough to lose their faction territory, their base is still left there invulnerable taking up space (unless custom server settings are in place to remove that). It also means that factions that damage the landscape (eating planets, destroying planets, etc) can potentially leave wasteland systems. Could be useful for systems that have been freed up to completely reset to untouched space (reload the default system entirely) in order to restore that space for the next person.

Same could apply to factions. We have problems with faction lists getting cluttered and good names taken by dead factions. Admin can't just delete the faction if it still has any ships/stations because it mucks things up. Would be useful to have factions automatically disband after their points go low enough.

Perhaps combine the two, if the system your home base is in goes untouched long enough to reset, your faction is erased as well. Simply delete any stray ships or objects associated with the faction at that time and make it like they never existed in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea for random starting spots.

As for an expanding universe, why even have a discrete "galaxy"? The universe generator could be made more Minecraft-like. Instead of reaching the edge of the galaxy, you just continue to uncover more and more star systems. Density could vary according to a noise algorithm to make the number of systems grow and ebb as you explore, causing some natural voids or star clusters while not having anything that really corresponds to a real-life galaxy.

As for system resets and unfactioning, I don't have much of an opinion on. Seems like good adminning could take care of that without needing the game to do automatic cleanup. However my server never got busy enough for this to be a problem.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the idea of bigger galaxies. While I am intrigued by the idea of an infinite sea of star systems, there's something cool about being able to zoom out and see the outline of a galaxy that you are in.

It would be interesting to have a mechanic where a server admin can choose to have up to X number of players join a single galaxy. Those players are now in galaxy 1 and play normally. Once X is reached, the variable is reset and the spawnpoint for new players is set to another galaxy. Plot twist: a player finds out what a server's "X" is, and creates "X"x1.5 alt accounts, getting a galaxy all to himself, guaranteed.

Make two sets of unique features for the universe. One set goes to all the dozens of galaxies in a limited area around the central point, except for the absolute central galaxy, and these peripheral galaxies are where new players spawn. Then use the second set of features for only the central galaxy, where nobody spawns. End game fun: you get a whole new set of features by leaving your galaxy and traveling to the special galaxy in the center of the universe.

If the peripheral galaxies are in a 5x5x5 pattern, with one cut out of the center as the special center galaxy, and the 8 outer diagonal galaxies excepted, you have 116 potential starting galaxies. Plenty of space and content for everyone to play with. All eventually searching for that middle galaxy. Then there could be a huge, dangerous void leading out to the rest of the galaxies, which are relatively boring by comparison to the "core" galaxies, but the presence of which can still allow players to build up their own self-imposed challenges, such as discovering the most galaxies, travelling the farthest from universe center, circumnavigating a core 9x9x9 galactic cluster, etc.

Every player should get special exploration stats, to make universe exploration more "gamified".
    Examples:
    # of star systems discovered (The universe database will need to store the initial discovery details, so that subsequent players do not get the credit, and so that re-exploration scores can be earned based on since-last-visited-dates)
    # of galaxies discovered (Again, small bit of universe database storage needed.)
    # of star systems re-explored x-days after the last player discovered or explored it (re-discovery score)
    Same for galaxies
    # of stars scanned
    # of planets scanned
    etc...

Since everything looks the same, there is currently no fun in exploring more systems, but if you give players stats, they'll eat it up as a score.
    And with different scores, you can have different players win and compete in different ways. ("Sure, you went farther, but I actually discovered 30 more galaxies than you before I was roasted by a Thargoid in the void....")