Bobby AI turrets keep missing

Reaction score
    Iam trying to develop turrets for my ships/stations that will have a bobby ai to shoot at reds. But every turret I make can't seem to hit their target...is there special considerations? do the weapon output and bobby ai have to line up? I'm just trying to get small (10-30 block) turrets working for right now...

Edit: Also, it seems like with beam weapons they fire once and don't track the target, is this actually how they work? or another issue?

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    What is your AI accuracy setting? You can find it under "local play"->"Adv. Settings" tab->"Game" tab->"AI weapon aiming accuracy" (you can use the research bar on the bottom) alternatively, it's also in your server.cfg
    As a rule of thumb, if you expect your turret to reliably hit something X meters away, then AI accuracy should be set to something relatively close to X (I'd say X/2 ~ X), note that it will also improve the pirate accuracy

And yes, beams tend to lag behind when you fire them and move (I don't think the AI tries to track the target while the beam is still firing either)

(Edit: you don't particularly need the bobby AI module, core, computer, and/or weapon output to line up, it isn't really supposed to help the AI aim)

Reaction score
    We can't determine what is your problem if you don't share your turret with us.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Share the bp, or screenshot the delete menu stats and turret atleast ;)

Issues that can screw turets :
    1. Different projectile speeds, eg one cannon array 30% cannone beam another 80% cannon cannon on the same turret.
    2. accuracy settings
    3. lazors can't actually hit missiles
    4. axies don't line up quite right(one entity backwards/sideways to the other
    5. Server too slow to calculate active number of entities
    6. bad luck
    7. bad power design (not enough to completely fire beam, enhancer blackout, etc)
    8. not enough enhancers for mass on all links of chain

Reaction score
    I get a weird one where all of my turrets (set to target my target) will occasionally spin 90° away from my target and fire on open space lol. It seems pretty random when this occurs. I can usually clear it by turning off the AI, reset turrets, then activate AI...About 4 or 5 times lol.

Also, sometimes my lock on missiles will do the same thing. A group of 8 or so will scream towards the target, then 1 or 2 will make a sharp 90° turn and just keep going till they disappear.

I'm sure it's something I'm doing (like having 30+ entities in 1 sector :whistle:)

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There's also a thing with missile/beam long range guided missiles that sometimes missiles go straight away from a locked-on target - which sometimes leads to a funny result that 7 missiles of an 8 output go after the target and 1 says "F*** this I'm out" - or vice versa.

Reaction score
    What is your AI accuracy setting?
    I'm just testing out on default settings. fairly new to the game and just trying to find stuff that works.

Does your turret have 2 axes?
    Yes. I have a 'mast' ship tied to one turret axis with another ship that is the guns tying onto that at diferent angles so it can move 360 horizontal and 180 vertical. I have tested this by manually piloting tham.

Share the bp, or screenshot the delete menu stats and turret atleast ;)
    it's not something specific I want to get working, I can't find ANYTHING that works, and was hoping for some help, or a bare bones BP to follow...

not enough enhancers for mass on all links of chain
    enhancers? chain? I don't know what this is refering to at all...

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    I'm just testing out on default settings. fairly new to the game and just trying to find stuff that works.
    I'm asking because AI accuracy once depended on the difficulty setting and was awfully low for "easy (something like 20 which essentially means that AI is severely nearsighted).
    I don't know if it's still the case, however if your turret fires but has terrible accuracy, I think it's very likely that your accuracy setting is too low.
    If it doesn't fire at all, it's another problem though.

("rail mass enhancers" are only needed for turrets above 50 mass, otherwise the heavier the turret, the slower it'll turn ; by "all links on the chain" he means those blocks must both be placed on the ship for the mast to turn faster, and on the mast for the barrel to turn faster)