Blockbased cosmetic weapons

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Another often requested feature is customizable weaponary.

After Crimson-Artist did amazing gifs in blender with a custom weapon I thought on how this could work ingame.

We would need a new block, let's call it Amory Block. It acts as central element in creating weapons

When you hit 'R' on it, a small menu pops up in which you can select what kind of weapon you want to create (Pistol, Rifle, etc.)
    After you've selected the desired weapon-type you get taken into a holographic workspace where you start with a single block in (creativ-)build mode (similiar like a station, where you start with a grey armor block).
    From there you can build the weapon you want.

Once you're done is can hit 'R' again and another pop-up asks if you're done or you wanna continue building. When you leave, the weapon-blueprint is now shown in the Amory Block menu from where you can select it to be crafted and if you do so, it gets added to your inventory.

You may asking yourself: "But Captain, how do we prevent giant overpowered boxes as weapons?
    Solution (kind of disappointing, I know): make it all just cosmetic.
    Each weapon-type has a fixed max. bounding box, fixed stats (so you can't, for example, have a sniperrifle as pistol) and pre-made Player-animations (I mean there are only so many ways to hold a gun ;) )
    Resource-wise for crafting it shouldn't be much due to the fact that it's only cosmetic. If you already have a pistol you can choose to recycle it and build a new one, in this case the crafting should only cost credits.

Let me know what you guys think of it and how it could be improved.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Nice idea. If this gets implemented why not go all the way? Allow the shots to be customized too. Cosmetic effects only; pulsed blaster-shot, solid beam, large, glowing plasma-orb...muzzle-flare.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    why not go all the way?
    Because the way isn't there yet. I mean I gotta agree with you, customized projectiles etc. are really sweet, but we don't have any of these effects yet in the game.
    I'm talking about a basic system to start off the whole custom weapon thing. Adding muzzleflashes, fancy projectiles and stuff is a general thing that's missing in the whole game at this point. (besides the glow for cannons)

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Would fit nicely with they way the NPC factions a being generated with their own look with colours and everything. Like most Sci-Fi the handweapon would often follow a similar path to whatever the larger weapons do, since they're supposed to be using similar if not the same technology, but on a smaller scale.