Block stat difference between station/ship

Reaction score
    Looking for ideas to give more incentive to building outside of homebase protection, 1 idea is changing the stat values of blocks so stations would have a higher shield/power rating vs a ship of the same size.

This would give stations a feeling of worth/fear as they are current just non moving ships.

Shoudnt a starbase be a fight that a fleet of ships be required for?

Reactions: Edymnion and Exozen

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    another idea is having alts(and/or faction mates with alts) to spawn in and homebase protect your warpgate network :)
    But that isn't really addressing the problem, and i think it's a problem with resources themselves. Without abundance there can be no infrastructure, without infrastructure there will be less abundance.

The NPC factions are a good start, but I hope future updates bring faction-control to player factions. creating faction fleets and bases to serve roles for each system comes to mind. Defense of structures, "free resources" to supply that.
    We can designate a structure type when we save a blueprint, it might be worthwhile to do the same when you spawn an entity (like a space station). Giving player factions a similar system to the NPC ones certainly would promote building more emplacements of different types(for the faction-level bonus).
    Example: designate a station an "outpost" and it counts as scanning for your faction, revealing cloaked units in the neighboring 8 sectors. Spawning "mining" stations gives you a flat bonus/station, factory a flat "universal production/turn", etc...
    I suppose there would need to be an incentive to go against "floating faction modules" to exploit a peaceful system, perhapse a minimum target systems value(or percet) to be designated as one type or class of thing?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Looking for ideas to give more incentive to building outside of homebase protection, 1 idea is changing the stat values of blocks so stations would have a higher shield/power rating vs a ship of the same size.

This would give stations a feeling of worth/fear as they are current just non moving ships.

Shoudnt a starbase be a fight that a fleet of ships be required for?
    I really like this idea.

You're right in that the primary reason most people don't make more than one station is because they're too vulnerable. Its too much of an investment in resources for something that can be wiped out while you're sleeping.

Making a station DRASTICALLY more powerful than a ship of it's size would go a long way in helping to remedy that. When even a small outpost can fight a dreadnaught to a standstill, its going to be a very different game, both good and bad.

Also gotta remember that people can, will, and do make harasser stations, small stations with no purpose other than to put a fixed weapons platform within firing range of something/someone.

Reaction score
    It will make stations more balanced. Most of people now just have 1 station: homebase. They are scared to make another stations, cause they can be easily destroyed. And also sitting inside homebase is not fun.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1 idea is changing the stat values of blocks so stations would have a higher shield/power rating vs a ship of the same size.
    The Stat change does not work. So long blocks can be used on all things. Space Stations and Ships a like. What we need is a block that can ONLY be used on Stations. Else people will also use that super block on ships and then the advantage is lost.

The game can currently not differentiate between entities. As far as i know.

sitting inside homebase is not fun
    You do not find it fun. But everyone decides for them self how to play this sandbox game. That is the beauty of the Home Base system. It is the one thing you and you alone have control over. You do not have to take into account anyone else. One single sector in the whole galaxy that is absolutely yours to command and control. For this reason i am always very opposed to people that want to have that taken away from you.

I am a hard core pvper. My fun in this game is shooting other people. I never ever complained that someone was not coming out of the Home Base. Because even the most hardy Turtler will poke his head out at some point. I always get my target.

The Home Base is the only Oasis in an otherwise completely Hostile Space Desert.

The discussion about the USABILITY of other stations without Home Base Protection on a StarMade map. Should not involve the Home Base itself. They are two completely different things.

Reaction score
    as a pvper and someone who likes to play on hardmode servers i think removing homebase protection is a bad idea by default. theres already config options to do this if you want your server to work this way.

theres currently no way to protect a base fully without altered block behaviors, because exploits and unrefined mechanics.

you CAN alter configs to have station only super armor though. but you cant do the same for shields because the shield id is tied to 3 and if you mess with 1 shield you mess with them all. td be nice to get effects untied from individual ids, or give spares etc.

Reaction score
    i am not proposing the removal of homebase protection, the removal of homebase protection is a dumb idea even though it is an option in the config file.
    i am trying to find additional ways for enticing players to build other stations/warpgates other than their homebase without limiting playstyles as much as i can.
    RP players would love to have a solid defendable station that you could repair after every fight and write histories of those that have tried to remove the station.
    PvE players want something that they feel isnt a waste of resources, and will be gone the next time they login.
    PvP players want something besides ships to fight, imagine fighting a huge station with a fleet of buddies and putting your flag on the husk of the station at the end, and throwing your own turrets on it!

the current state of the game is build a homebase, build a ship, go mine, build a bigger ship...
    where is the protecting trade lanes, warpgate networks, starbases, gun platforms, mining outposts and so on?

Reaction score
    You do not find it fun. But everyone decides for them self how to play this sandbox game. That is the beauty of the Home Base system. It is the one thing you and you alone have control over. You do not have to take into account anyone else. One single sector in the whole galaxy that is absolutely yours to command and control. For this reason i am always very opposed to people that want to have that taken away from you.

I am a hard core pvper. My fun in this game is shooting other people. I never ever complained that someone was not coming out of the Home Base. Because even the most hardy Turtler will poke his head out at some point. I always get my target.

The Home Base is the only Oasis in an otherwise completely Hostile Space Desert.

The discussion about the USABILITY of other stations without Home Base Protection on a StarMade map. Should not involve the Home Base itself. They are two completely different things.
    Listen, I am not a pirat and don't want to hurt anybody. But inv home makes game really boring. 15-60 minutes of vulnerability per day won't be bad as I think. Sometimes you have to waste a lot of time to wait for anybody to leave faction home.

I can suggest new way to make it fun for anybody:
    • Players can choose invulnerability of station.
    • If they want it to be unvulnerable, station's properties will fall down. For example, penalty of power 90%. Or may be disabling turrets.
    • If they want station to be vulnerable, it's properties will raise. Power softcap will start at 30m. Shield and armor will be 5x stronger. It must to depend on time of vulnerability (15 min - 24 hours). Vulnerability must to be encouraged.