Implemented Block Consolidation

Reaction score
    Simple Suggestion but why not roll all hull and armor block shapes into a single item. Its tedious to make every single block shape when you need them. If there were some difference between blocks such as strength, weight, production cost it would be understandable to retain the need to make them separately.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Simple Suggestion but why not roll all hull and armor block shapes into a single item. Its tedious to make every single block shape when you need them. If there were some difference between blocks such as strength, weight, production cost it would be understandable to retain the need to make them separately.
    This should be on the FSM if it isnt already. There are quite a few technical reasons why they don't do this, but Schine knows it's tedious to build that way as well.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Something like having 5 "shape" blocks you use to define the area of a ship, and then "filling" that shape with whichever "type" ID to determine it's function? I could get behind that.

You'd load 3 layers/models for every ship/object; Shape, type, logic. Gives more aesthetic options. more practical load-in. wider range of hp and orientation values by splitting them into layers. I like it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Something like having 5 "shape" blocks you use to define the area of a ship, and then "filling" that shape with whichever "type" ID to determine it's function? I could get behind that.

You'd load 3 layers/models for every ship/object; Shape, type, logic. Gives more aesthetic options. more practical load-in. wider range of hp and orientation values by splitting them into layers. I like it.
    I think he's simply talking about setting the same inventory count to every shape in the multistack and adding one to that number when salvaging a matching block of any shape. (So salvaging a grey hull wedge would add "1" to the count for all five shapes in the grey hull multistack, not just the wedge shape.) And furthermore, making a block of a specific type and color in a factory could be used for any of the shapes for that specific type.
    I'm hoping this will not only be implemented, but also, that color will be included in the multistack consolidation, so that one grey hull block will add one not only to the grey multistack, but to every other color hull multistack, assuming you have the "paint" needed to change the color. So that you can form any shape and paint any color, all from the same manufactured block.
    In the game background, every block type, shape, and color will still have a block ID, but this multistack consolidation will make construction easier, more intuitive, and less tedious for builders, including factory managers.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Basically, you'd just treat all the other block shapes like slabs are currently treated. It's a great idea.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    yup,awesome idea indeed,i added this to fsm,I will try asking this in the council slack,but no idea if they will give me even a hint since i jumped ship :/

Reactions: Lukwan
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been wanting this for a while. I use to have a survival world that I had purchased all the blue advanced armor cubes from every shop in my home sector, and some of the neighboring sectors. Yet they were still fully stocked with blue advanced armor corners. o_O I flew from shop to shop to shop to shop to shop, only finding corners.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    it just makes it even harder cause there are 5 shapes X 3 armour types X 12 colours = 180

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd be happen if all the different colors of hull, armor, glass, etc were replaced with a color picker and we had to actually mix the right colored things to make the paint. :)

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    i wonder how hard would it be to do full color spectrum. like,the same way you have a chat command to taint an astronaut into any color,can the same be done for the hull..I dont know how many things can go over the textures besides bump mapping and emmisive maps,but another layer..just for the RGB slider,select the color and start placing DEM blocks,can you imagine how cool ships would look.. holy cow

Reaction score
    Cool Idea, not sure how they would handle painting the ships but then again we already have the ability to make templates so it's not that far off in theory.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hai,
    Congrats! This suggestion has been recognised by the council and the devs, it has been added to the phabricator workflow. You can check out all the accepted suggestions that have been added to the planned list over here Group Council · Workboard
    (you have to scroll all the way to the right to see them)

I hope many more fine suggestions will come from you.

For reference:
    ⚓ T1651 All shapes, one block

Feel free to signup and subscribe to the task to get e-mail notifications once it hits release/dev-builds.

- Andy

Reactions: Lukwan

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    In theory they could do the same thing with colors but it'd take a few changes to the way textures are. :)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Everyone wants this.

I'm glad you managed to put it better than I did when I suggested something similar - this makes more sense :D
    Slablike shape choices please - this sort of thing will significantly smooth out the processes of both building new ships and making the resources for them in factories.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have a question, actually... what happens to our existing shapes? I mean, don't the current slabs disappear from your inventory when you try to spawn them in by ID?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I have a question, actually... what happens to our existing shapes? I mean, don't the current slabs disappear from your inventory when you try to spawn them in by ID?
    I would really hope that the existing shapes would simply be swapped for the base block type automatically.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    MY SUGGESTION:

Why not have only the BLOCK TYPE and make the SHAPES & COLOR a pop-up menu?
    Stay with me here, currently you have to turn a whole block into a wedge or a corner using the factory and once it is crafted like that it can't be reverted. Using a GUI Function to change shapes will cut down on waste and time spent gathering.

Coloring can be selected using the same Hud Menu. The color can only be applied if you have the paint in your inventory at the time of block placement.

Conclusion
    What this effectively does is free up IDs for the development team, reduce waste in resources and time for players, and allow MORE SHAPES to be placed in-game.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    What this effectively does is free up IDs for the development team, reduce waste in resources and time for players, and allow MORE SHAPES to be placed in-game.
    Actually it doesn't. Every block/color/shape still uses an id. As a player this would just make it easier to build without all the factory hassle.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Actually it doesn't. Every block/color/shape still uses an id. As a player this would just make it easier to build without all the factory hassle.
    AFAIK and Sources, Id is just for the end user, the coding is all done without the id#.

EG: There is no block id number for 3/4 slab.