Bland to Dynamic Survival

Reaction score
    I have recently brought/pre-ordered this game after trying out the demo, it was great. However, something that struck me whilst reading a negative review explaining the flaws of the game in the steam page and one flaw included was bland survival, It has given me an interest to find out whether the devs should improve the survival aspects of the game. My opinion in this matter is that the devs should slowly improve the survival aspects of the game whilst adding other feature, this could make the game a bit more fun. What's your opinion?

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Universe update soon™
    Just need to wait for the weapons update cleanup/finishing update to be finished.

Reactions: MacThule

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    More in-depth interaction with the universe and characters is coming with the universe update. Be aware, however, as the developers aren't keep on common survival staples like starvation. The game will likely instead be more crew, ship, and relations based.

Reaction score
    Keep in mind that this game has another early access philosophy: Core mechanics like weapons don't work right now and there wasnt an announcment that they will get fixed within the next months. Whereas other games can easily deliver working core concepts, Starmade with his complex sandbox code and his "early access is not allways a game"-approach is different here. It's more like a tech-demo where only the building works.

So if you are not satisfied with building only you should not play this game. Starmade is great, but only if you play it with the correct expectations.

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Keep in mind that this game has another early access philosophy: Core mechanics like weapons don't work right now and there wasnt an announcment that they will get fixed within the next months. Whereas other games can easily deliver working core concepts, Starmade with his complex sandbox code and his "early access is not allways a game"-approach is different here. It's more like a tech-demo where only the building works.

So if you are not satisfied with building only you should not play this game. Starmade is great, but only if you play it with the correct expectations.
    Star Conflict was pretty good. I played it for a while until it started crashing my computer routinely. The weapons systems were good, the homing missiles hit every almost every time, and cannon shots usually hit. Also, every weapon had an advanced targeting system that actually worked. Pretty good. Why can't we have this stuff?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I have recently brought/pre-ordered this game after trying out the demo, it was great. However, something that struck me whilst reading a negative review explaining the flaws of the game in the steam page and one flaw included was bland survival, It has given me an interest to find out whether the devs should improve the survival aspects of the game. My opinion in this matter is that the devs should slowly improve the survival aspects of the game whilst adding other feature, this could make the game a bit more fun. What's your opinion?
    I think they may eventually accommodate this, but honestly it's not a survival game. It's a sandbox space shooter. There aren't even any consumables... or need to consume anything to stay alive.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Star Conflict was pretty good. I played it for a while until it started crashing my computer routinely. The weapons systems were good, the homing missiles hit every almost every time, and cannon shots usually hit. Also, every weapon had an advanced targeting system that actually worked. Pretty good. Why can't we have this stuff?
    You can. AI difficulty level right now is literally only their accuracy rate. Since the same AI runs pirates, turrets, and homing missiles, the easier you make the difficulty, the worst all aiming is.

If you want stuff to always hit, crank the difficulty up.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Who says we are not getting it? This game is still a work in progress, and it is not a triple A game with the budget for such. The paid for version of Starmade is not expensive, and it is not expensive in exchange for having an extended development time.

As it has been stated, it's a space-based, sandboxy, open-ended game. As with Minecraft, new features and new content will come with time.

Also, as Edymnion said, crank the difficult up. Try it on Mean.

Reaction score
    My opinion in this matter is that the devs should slowly improve the survival aspects of the game whilst adding other feature, this could make the game a bit more fun. What's your opinion?
    Be aware, however, as the developers aren't keep on common survival staples like starvation.
    I want to make it clear. Kiddan said it clearly but nobody else did. No survival mechanics as you would expect them to be. Could we call missions, pirates and diplomacy with NPC's survival ? My opinion is no but it's my opinion alone. Especially since np's are so bad and designed to be so.