Planned Better weapon effects.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A translucently-textured low-poly cylinder should do the trick, but if we can't do that, 3 or 4 rotated rectangles should simulate the effect well enough (better than a single rectangle that we have now).

By rotated rectangles, I'm referring to the way that paint cans and light sticks are rendered as 2 rectangles, rotated at 90 degrees to each other, to create an X-pattern pseudo-3D representation of an object.

I think the X-pattern is a throw-back to the way Minecraft would "render" 3D effects like grass. A 3D cylinder would be better for lights, cans, and beams. There is probably already a dynamic 3D cylinder available to the game: reuse thruster plumes with a different texture.

Reactions: alij331

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Can we get this in the next update, or something? This is a feature I (and obviously several others) would absolutely love to see in the near future (and since Crusade's already got a working version, I imagine implementation by Schine shouldn't be a difficult task...)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    We need this so bad and have needed it so long! Heck, it could probably be Bloom Effect-compatible.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I imagine implementation by Schine shouldn't be a difficult task...)
    No, it wouldn't be difficult.

We need this so bad and have needed it so long!
    True.

I think it is time to summon the texture:schema: kupu
    *poof*

I mean how could anyone say no to this?
    Uh oh... :)
    Well, nobody could say no to objectively better weapon effects. So why didn't we just do this ourselves last week, or a year ago... or do it tomorrow?

We're almost stuck in a limbo. We've been planning to implement particles and newer weapon effects that require new code that would render such improvements redundant. It's always a tricky call as a small team to balance not only work vs yield, but knowing whether the small improvements would need rewriting in the future and be rendered a waste of resources.

I'll bring this up with the team. Perhaps it's time to reevaluate such short term improvements.

Reactions: alij331 and BJammin

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I just think it's unfair to post these screenshots with Reshade one. They should be made with vanilla shaders, as to not mislead people into how sick these beams would be.

I definitely want them, but have more truthful advertising in your OP, Crus. :P

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I just think it's unfair to post these screenshots with Reshade one. They should be made with vanilla shaders, as to not mislead people into how sick these beams would be.

I definitely want them, but have more truthful advertising in your OP, Crus. :p
    Yeh; that's what I've been saying constantly. Especially seeing as the reshade-less beams look freakin' badass anyway.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It looks really nice, but
    kupu said:
    short term improvements
    are a waste of time in my book since
    kupu said:
    that would render such improvements redundant.
    Anyway, since
    Crusade said:
    It's a custom mesh replacing the simplebeam model
    this sounds like a basic and easy change. It should probably be uploaded to the mod forum.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    this sounds like a basic and easy change. It should probably be uploaded to the mod forum.
    There are bugs with it, though, that could only be fixed by Schema. Which would be a great opportunity to make the vanilla beams look better. Which would be a good thing to do right about now.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    There are bugs with it, though, that could only be fixed by Schema. Which would be a great opportunity to make the vanilla beams look better. Which would be a good thing to do right about now.
    I think i agree. Let's be very real here, we've been promising particles for a long time.

The particle system was shown close to two years ago. I won't bore anyone with excuses or reasons because i doubt players particularly care about the myriad of complications during development. Bottom line is they are not here.

After a quick chat with the team we agreed that the benefit of such a short term improvement in this area would far outweigh the workload required for this particular task. We will try and come up with a more effective place holder. It seems the community at large have always requested two things: Larger and bolder.

Small disclaimer, nothing more than a alteration of assets will happen here. Don't expect scaling beam systems or additional features.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think i agree. Let's be very real here, we've been promising particles for a long time.

The particle system was shown close to two years ago. I won't bore anyone with excuses or reasons because i doubt players particularly care about the myriad of complications during development. Bottom line is they are not here.

After a quick chat with the team we agreed that the benefit of such a short term improvement in this area would far outweigh the workload required for this particular task. We will try and come up with a more effective place holder. It seems the community at large have always requested two things: Larger and bolder.

Small disclaimer, nothing more than a alteration of assets will happen here. Don't expect scaling beam systems or additional features.
    Thanks for the very real answer here!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Wooo! It's about time.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    No, it wouldn't be difficult.

True.

*poof*

Uh oh... :)
    Well, nobody could say no to objectively better weapon effects. So why didn't we just do this ourselves last week, or a year ago... or do it tomorrow?

We're almost stuck in a limbo. We've been planning to implement particles and newer weapon effects that require new code that would render such improvements redundant. It's always a tricky call as a small team to balance not only work vs yield, but knowing whether the small improvements would need rewriting in the future and be rendered a waste of resources.

I'll bring this up with the team. Perhaps it's time to reevaluate such short term improvements.
    i thought you were a large team to have made such a big and awesome game which is capital ship friendly