Best Missile Circus you've seen in-game?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Normal.png Markus_McCloud here.

A Macross Missile Massacre (or Itano Circus) is defined by TVTropes as "A tactic wherein a military vehicle or craft [...] launches a massive salvo of missiles at a target (sometimes more missiles than you'd think the craft would be able to hold)." My question is, what's the best Missile Massacre you've seen in-game?

"Best" is subjective here. You be the judge of what makes it the best to you, whether it be most missiles, destruction caused, colorful trails, etc.

If you have screenshots, please post it as well.:^D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Pirates spawned in a nearby sector, and all the missile turrets on my base and various ships started firing on it. When it suddenly dawned on me that they were still firing, 30 min. later, I went out to investigate. I found a ton of missiles diving and looping through a single point in space, like some kind of giant atom. Something about that base location, perhaps, but I saw it happen a few more times over the life of that server.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Pirates spawned in a nearby sector, and all the missile turrets on my base and various ships started firing on it. When it suddenly dawned on me that they were still firing, 30 min. later, I went out to investigate. I found a ton of missiles diving and looping through a single point in space, like some kind of giant atom. Something about that base location, perhaps, but I saw it happen a few more times over the life of that server.

This is also know as the "missile bug" and happens when too may missiles are fired for the game / server to calculate. Hence, never use too many missiles (especially with AI dromes!).

Edit: in short, the missiles stop having effect - UNTIL things catch up

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol the Tiger Lily nuked that world. XD

Meanwhile the best I've seen is something to that effect. Basically me and someone else were testing an experimental missile turret, needless to say going for number of shots over damage didn't end well for the turret but it did provide a nice view until the many rings of death were obliterated by a very angry fleet of enemy players. XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    This is also know as the "missile bug" and happens when too may missiles are fired for the game / server to calculate. Hence, never use too many missiles (especially with AI dromes!).

Edit: in short, the missiles stop having effect - UNTIL things catch up
    Does anyone have any sort of number as to what constituted "too many missiles"?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Best I've seen was one of my own... that was aiming at me.

Back in my early days of playing the game, I discovered how well Missile/Missile did against pirates. "Self," I thought to myself, "I should make heatseeker turrets for my station!" So I did. And then the pirates showed up. Thing is, these pirates were smart. They stayed close enough to trigger the turrets to fire, but stayed far enough away that all of the missiles went out about half way, then turned around and came right back at me.

Did I mention these were the bad old days when missile explosions penetrated through station walls?

So yeah, multiple deaths while I frantically scrambled for the build block. I finally get there, and in my newbie panic I think "I'll just remove the turret docks and that'll stop 'em!". Yeah no, now I had half a dozen heavy missile/missile turrets spewing heatseekers, and the twisting made them hit the station physically and propelled them out into space all around my station.

Before I had rogue turrets, now I had created my own freaking MINEFIELD!

Long story short, I finally had to beg on general chat for anybody with a ton of shielding to come blow my own turrets out of the sky.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Afraid I don't - the bug doesnt hapen 100% of the time, but its consistent enough to be wary of it happening. Swarmers are worst for it, and will often cause lag along with it.

Reaction score
    Afraid I don't - the bug doesnt hapen 100% of the time, but its consistent enough to be wary of it happening. Swarmers are worst for it, and will often cause lag along with it.
    Lag and frame rate death, actually a small number of any missiles or any weapon projectile will bring the games to it's knees framerate wise.
    One of those things that needs to be optimised asap I think especially as so many people still resort to missile spam over strategy.

I don't know about anyone else but I like playing games above 1-5fps during combat and my machine is hardly low spec.
    StarMades about the only game I own regardless of being "early access" or not that makes my PC cry when any real kind of action begins.

Reaction score
    If we ever get the minelayer. Murvs would be awesome in game, not just for fireworks looking effect. Nope have not made any rail missile missile art yet. Been meaning to

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    This is nothing like what others have posted, but I did like the color contrast and effect. This is from back when I was still fairly new to the game and still thought swarmers were a good idea. I had however learned by that point to make swarmers using a second slaved missile computer but no missile modules slaved to that second computer. That made each swarmer launcher launch only a single missile at twice the speed as regular swarmers and full damage and damage radius. Each of these missiles was around 1200 modules if I recall correctly. The trick to having adequate quantities of warheads was simply to have lots of such launchers, fired using logic.

At that point in my building career, I was not putting much effort into surface detail. Nowadays I would position the launch apertures more carefully and create some exterior greebling at their exit points to look like launch ports or something.

Reactions: wafflepie
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    The first time i built the weapon systems for my light cruiser.....It was nothing but swarm missiles and it had like...40 outputs, at 100% for everything ;-;

It didnt end well for my olden laptop..

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I don't know for sure, but I watched a few hundred missiles shut down a server during RedAngel's stream yesterday. :P Napther had a good rant about it. XD
    [doublepost=1486388023,1486387979][/doublepost]
    The first time i built the weapon systems for my light cruiser.....It was nothing but swarm missiles and it had like...40 outputs, at 100% for everything ;-;

It didnt end well for my olden laptop..
    Mmmmmh, the smell of burning electronics... smells like victory.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't know for sure, but I watched a few hundred missiles shut down a server...
    That is a bit odd. On several occasions, I have lad 'at least' two hundred missiles flying, and noticed no degradation in frame rate or ping as a result, this on multiplayer servers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Taken out of context, that statement sounds like you're challenging whether there can be such a thing ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Taken out of context, that statement sounds like you're challenging whether there can be such a thing ;)
    I don't see it.

I am quite certain there can be too many missiles, that at a certain point the game breaks in various ways if too many seekers need to be controlled and animated by the game software. The only numbers I am aware of so far however is one person (don't remember who) mentioning that the game can loose track of missile damage if more than ~500 warheads strike too quickly. That and this "too many missiles" which frankly could mean anything.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    That is a bit odd. On several occasions, I have lad 'at least' two hundred missiles flying, and noticed no degradation in frame rate or ping as a result, this on multiplayer servers.
    There had already been several fights, with collisions and bits of turrets floating around. So it's more the straw that broke the camel's back than the root cause, I believe.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    "too many missiles" is a server config value. I think the default is 50 simultaneous explosions? it's one of those "main thread" calculations that mean higher clock is better for servers.

I Remember using 120 cannon/missile arrays (240 computers) on one mega-turret to just ignore ant-missile systems. Alas, I learned the error of my ways when travel-time +massive missile spawn+too many explosion/hitcalc sent Genxnova into a sputter-cough-death. Bobby was mad.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Just thought I'd mention that even if this thread warns you that it's old, you're welcome to post anyway. For this thread, I'm personally OK with necroposting, since missile swarms never go out of style! :cool:

Reaction score
    on brierie server, around april 14th 2017, a player named methiles thought it would be a good idea to arrange m/m in the same manner as salvage grids. i attacked his 28,000 mass ship in a 1,000 mass ship, and when he was unable to turn to hit me conventionally, he launched a salvo of approximately 3,500 missiles in 1 click. i didntget a pic, as my client hit 1 fps almost instantly and i backpeddled in a panic. i escaped, but everyone in the sector crashed, the server needed a reboot, and his ship corrupted itself and had to be scrapped.