Read by Council Below Hull Turret Parts

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I propose allowing weapon blocks attached to the first turret part (horizontal axis) to impart their strengths / effects into the barrel portion of the turret (vertical axis). This way, a vertical column of weapon blocks will rotate with the base, within the mothership, and the barrel portion of the turret can remain small so that aiming 'upwards' does not require a very large amount of space below deck (or the turret housing itself) for swinging parts.

Suppose it would be another sort of 'slave' system where all the stuff fixed to the turret base would just act to boost those blocks making the barrel portion. Perhaps the amount of 'boost' each barrel receives would be divided by the total number of barrels on the turret?

What do you all think? :D

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    If I recall correctly, that would be a cross-entity thing, and the most common wording about those is "no".

I'd truly love to see this, as it's basically the only way to "properly" do replica builds, but it just ain't likely.

** Further info: it comes down to the dev team would have to re-code a critical part of the game, simply coding it to not auto-crash would take at least half a year, and bug-hunting this sort of major change would make the bug-list for shipyards look keking puny.

Reaction score
    I support some variation on this idea, because the ammunition is what gives a weapon its strength, and ammo is not usually stored in the barrel of a turret.....

Perhaps only allow secondary effects in the base, with primary modules ONLY allowed on the barrel portion. (As in, the cannon modules are in the barrel, but the beam and explosive modules can be on the horizontal portion.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know I've spoken for the ability to put slaves and tertiary effects into a turrets base to remove some of the mass from the barrel.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Primary parts in the barrel and secondary / tertiary parts in the base would at least be a move in the right direction. I suppose than the block properties could be adjusted via .cfg file to support certain builds if the user so desires (to reduce barrel / turret overall size).

Shields work cross-entity, why not weapon properties? The weapon stuff could be made to only cross over to one other connected entity, that way secondary or tertiary blocks couldn't be stored in the host ship and still affect the turret barrels 2 entities away; or secondary / tertiary blocks could be stored in the host ship, but the turret would only be able to move on 1 axis, from the distance restriction.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I would love to see something like this as it would give a much greater degree of freedom when designing turrets rather than the optimal shape being that of a 'ball' like it is now.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I prefer the optimal shape of a V or C :rolleyes::p
    And use design principles that I learned from a particular kind of turrets: Oscillating turret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It helps if you spend the time making a base and testing it like this so the bottom can freely slide along the bottom while wasting the minimal amount of volume.
    You can take that one step further and probably easily bury the turret past the equatorial point (point where it rotates around) by having the gun barrels up really high, like the top 5 blocks. Or you can do what I eventually did and build a box ontop of that circle to maximize volume. (Also stylistically that time I wanted a WW2 looking turret) (and other dock-able modules had to fit so it could not be recessed as deep as I normally do it, multipurpose hardpoint ftw)

A good example of this is a really old turret of mine, I think.

It only sticks up 4 blocks from the surface of the ship, that is pretty darn small.
    (I should of changed their color scheme and style to match that ship better me thinks:oops::mad:, whatever it was a year ago)

But under the hood is like half the turret:

(stupid me taking weird angle pictures last year)

Now, I do think that we should be able to have secondaries and tertiary things on the turret base, but as a stopgap measure you can use this method, and it produces usually very nice results. Peekie30 i think has some on a battleship of his that have basically a big cylinder that has barrels poking out of the top. I myself like gun barrel depression, and that really causes your turret top to gain height fast.

Disclaimer, building oscillating turrets is a huge pain in the ass, and I have built exactly 2 types of them over my year+ of playing starmade because of it, so be warned XD

Reaction score
    The problem is that most turrets end up oscillating in some way, which makes for bad depression and elevation. Mostly because we can't store "ammo" (The effects on projectiles) in the turret's citadel or even in the horizontal portion of the turret (Naval vessels use the citadel, tanks the horizontal portion), so we have to use a larger area, especially on smaller turrets. It's hard to build modern battleship or tank-styled turrets because, if the barrel's the only portion that rotates, you're necessarily very limited on what you can do without making an oscillating turret. The size efficiency is just a pain.

Reaction score
    Ah, that's actually a fairly simple build.

Y'see, the Turret dock for the gun barrel, doesn't require a block-connection to the rest of the turret base.
    Well, it does to build out to that point, but once you've placed the dock you can remove everything else.

Then, you build the "barrel" portion so it has a 3x3 voidspace so that "floating dock" won't catch on the gun barrel.

Voila! a gun that is ludicrously hard to de-barrel, so long as you aren't just one-shotting them.