[Beacon] Attack alerts + more

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    When you have a lot of stations/etc it becomes a pain trying to defend them.... and currently if a structure owned by your faction is attacked you don't get a notification nor what structure was actually attacked...
    Thus Id like to have a block/faction ability that if a factioned ship is under fire, the faction gets a notification that there is conflict in sector [x,x,x].
    This would likely increase the chance of player encounters, make it easier to have multiple stations and allow you to scramble ships to defend parts of your empire.
    If multiple entities are under attack in the same sector it still says 'There is conflict in sector [x,x,x]' (rather than listing each entity) and will remain there until conflict has ceased in that sector.

What do you guys think:?

Reactions: nightrune

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    When you have a lot of stations/etc it becomes a pain trying to defend them.... and currently if a structure owned by your faction is attacked you don't get a notification nor what structure was actually attacked...
    Thus Id like to have a block/faction ability that if a factioned ship is under fire, the faction gets a notification that there is conflict in sector [x,x,x].
    This would likely increase the chance of player encounters, make it easier to have multiple stations and allow you to scramble ships to defend parts of your empire.
    If multiple entities are under attack in the same sector it still says 'There is conflict in sector [x,x,x]' (rather than listing each entity) and will remain there until conflict has ceased in that sector.

What do you guys think:?
    I agree, but the notification for ships being under attack should only happen if they're in your factions territory. And if distress beacons become a thing, then if a ship has one, then it'll send the notification, even outside of a faction's territory.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    totally aggree.

Would like to add my $.02 though:

Any entity with a faction module when attacked should send a nmotification to all faction members in chat or faction chat.

The notification should include the entity name, and location. Also there should be some kind of filtering to avoid abusive spamming.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nightrune

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    totally aggree.

Any entity with a faction module when attacked should send a nmotification to all faction members in chat or faction chat.

The notification should include the entity name, and location. Also there should be some kind of filtering to avoid abusive spamming.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448167050,1448166977][/DOUBLEPOST]totally aggree.

You double posted...

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You double posted...
    Yeah, sorry about that. Already fixed it.
    I'm currently on a business trip in Hyderabad. Up until recently the internet speed here has been aweaome. But today the internet has been touch and go.

It also took me three tries this morning to get the new update downloaded and working

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Either: A station should survive long enough that reinforcements can arrive.
    Or: Some sort of early-alert system has to be available
    Or: At least a way to chase down the offenders reliable (warp-trackers, ship-ID-transmitters, target-painters)

Also useful:
    • A waypoint-system-calculator through owned/available warpgates similar to an IRL-navigation-system
    • Coordinated arrival jump-links (logic connection between ships, logic-triggered jump)
    • Screenshots of attacking ships (needs camera module, each make 1 picture?)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some thoughts...

The general 'conflict in sector' should be sent to the whole faction, but a more specific 'X in attack Y' should be sent to faction within [limited radius]. 8 sectors? 1 system? Basically those who could reasonably respond.
    If the enemy is scanned, then their identity (ship and pilot) should be included in the broadcast.
    A log of such broadcasts should be kept in the faction menu.
    A list of faction stations in the faction menu with alert levels listed. Green/yellow/red, enemy sighted, under attack

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you commit a crime, would you tell the police that you did it before it searches for you in person? I don't think broadcasting the offenders name is desired in all circumstances.

Also I assumed vessels to have unique features such as damage, personal paint, etc and this to be represented by ID and/or data-check-sum.

But perhaps somebody could link the account to a ship ID, until the ship is reported stolen - up to you to decide wether it's true or false ;)
    Ships build by private shipyards or by hand should not be registered by default and pilots only if they exit the ship (above/below/aside the first/last block of an axis in all bounding boxes they are in - in the simplest case)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If the enemy is scanned, ...
    Yeah, as if I would be too stupid to use a scrambler to hide my pilot's identity to the enemy ... especially after getting a high-tech ship.
    StarTrek for example can only scan life forms by species and strength, on planets they can not get the identity - at least sometimes or through shields?.​

Also if a ship is piloted by AI, you wouldn't get a scan on the owner body, neither you would get a clue about it by looking at the passwords or format of hacked encrypted messages - except maybe a hint from which vendor the software is.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Even if you don't scan a ship the name, pilot, and mass are available in the N list. I'm suggesting you need to make an active scan before that information can be transmitted via the alert system. Of course, if there is someone actually in the system and sees you, they don't need to scan. They just have to report it chat.

Reactions: NeonSturm