Astronaut spacesuits, weapons, built from blocks

Status
    Not open for further replies.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I think it would be interesting if we could build our space suits, helmets, and personal weapons out of blocks.

each "base" kit would be like the current helmet, or hand cannon. Right clicking the item would open up it's "customization screen" a 2d grid of available blockspace. This grid is mapped over the player mesh(deforms/attaches to bone) and provides the player with 1/5th to 1/10th the bonus the same blocks would provide a ship.

Armor and helmet spaces would then be able to min/max your astro mode to what is useful to you:
    -a personal power system, to support the blocks you add.
    -more thrustes to gain a better base movement.
    -shields and rechargers so you don't get one-hit by random debris, or another player's upgraded handcannon.
    -effect modules(always on assuming you have the power? "activate" once linked to your hotbar?) so you can be resistant or immune to gravity, have natural damage resistance, improved personal shields.
    -more storage space (adding storage bins gives you "personal 1", "personal 2", etc in your inventory drop-down)
    -personal cloak/jam

The wristcomp could be customized into:
    -enhanced personal savager (add speed, multy-beam, etc...)
    -switch to a damage beam for a melee weapon?
    -switch to a astrotechno so you can repair?

Each personal weapon could be enhanced the same way, a fixed grid of available block space. (say 7*3*5 for tier 1, 9*3*5 tier 2, etc...)
    -Cannon/cannon/whatever for a personal macheine pisol
    -cannon/beam/whatever or cannon/pulse/whatever for a rifle
    -beam/cannon/whatever for a "phaser"
    -beam/beam/whatever cannon/pulse/whatever for a long-range "phaser"
    -missile/cannon/whatever for a grenade launcher
    -etc, same effects as ship systems, but reduced outputs and a very limited blockspace
    -can be self-powered, or drain of your suit's excess power (assuming it has)

This system could be expanded to have "tiers" of base equipment, larger blockspace for more expensive "base."

Players would need to gain a new "equipment tab" off of the inventory menu with "equippable" slots: armor, helmet, wristcomp, weapon. Each ot the equipped items could be loaded into the hotbar to activate effects.

Reactions: Keptick

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Parts of this have already been suggested. Good idea nonetheless.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    push effect = mega jump?
    pull effect = ???

the problem with the stop effect is, that if you are 100% gravity resistant, you also are unable to move afaiui (as far as I understand it).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Skins can already change what this stuff looks like (except gun, I think.) I don't really see any point in space suits built from blocks. I'd prefer to see "modules" that you could have a limited number of on your suit, helmet, and jetpack when they are added in the future to allow for modifications. You'd equip the module item in some way and the effect would be applied to what it was attached to.

I do love the idea of building guns out of blocks, though.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Skins can already change what this stuff looks like (except gun, I think.) I don't really see any point in space suits built from blocks. I'd prefer to see "modules" that you could have a limited number of on your suit, helmet, and jetpack when they are added in the future to allow for modifications. You'd equip the module item in some way and the effect would be applied to what it was attached to.

The suggestion is not based on the visuals at all, you basically have a grid to allocate power, thrust, shields and other stuff to your suit. The skin can stay the exact same.

Op, this is an excellent suggestion!

Reactions: DrTarDIS

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can I get a infra-red view with a cockpit block in the style-area of the grid?
    Or data on velocity and an outline on moving objects if I use a bobby module?
    A light block could change the color of your torch.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The suggestion is not based on the visuals at all, you basically have a grid to allocate power, thrust, shields and other stuff to your suit. The skin can stay the exact same.

Op, this is an excellent suggestion!
    Oh, ok. The OP sounded like you would place smaller blocks on your suit and they would appear and modify your looks.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

I can see reasons for both the skin going over a customized suit or the blocks showing through. Perhapse if the blockspace was limited to your "backpack", wristcomp, and a specific part of the helmet both would be viable.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would you like to modify the color and texture inside of a polygonal shape in your suit by using a block in grid spaces assigned to this shape?

Amount of hp/armour added may decide about the look of your suit. Green glow indicate more power storage, a glowing power-cell somewhere on your suit more generators.

I don't want it to go back to block-faces (mine-craft), but not every player is patient and skilled enough to read through all the documentations and make their own individual skin by editing files.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This sounds like a really rad rendition of the idea; I love it. I also made a similar suggestion before the forum got reset or whatever.

I really hope something like this is integrated into StarMade.

And actual cockpits that you can enter instead of the current "cockpits" that function like cameras i mean seriously wtf goddammit

Reaction score
    Yay, it's back! I didn't necro it :3

Now okay. I'm with everything except tiers. Just give us one universal building space. Everything else is good :D

EDIT: Also for weapons, 2 special handhold blocks, one for the left hand and one for the right hand, just to tell the model how to hold the weapon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.