Read by Council Astronaut Revamp: Equipment & Weapons

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Equipment Slots:
    When equipment is placed in these slots, it'll equip it on your astronaut, instead of having to use the hotbar. Blocks can still be placed in these slots if needed, but won't do anything.
    • Head
    • Back
    • Body
    • Legs
    Now that we have our equipment slots, we'll need gear for our astronauts.
    Currently, I've thought of three sets of gear:
    • Survival
    • Utility
    • Combat
    To prevent anything from being a direct upgrade, each piece of gear has its own upsides and downsides. (Please note ALL names are placeholders IF needed, and all stats may need more refined balance.)
    • Helmet - The helmet we currently have - now supplies oxygen to the astronaut, with 1 hour of breathable air.
    • Air Tank - Holds 1h & 30m of oxygen (starts off empty.)
    • Jumpsuit - The standard suit, comes with a small built-in jetpack. (Spaceflight only) Also holds 30m of oxygen.
    • Jump Boots - Standard boots, increases run speed by 2x and allows astronauts to jump up to 6 meters in gravity.
    Default jump height is now 2 meters, without Jump Boots.
    • Regulator - Grants 50 ArmorHP and supplies 15m of Oxygen.
    • Backpack - Doubles the inventory storage capacity and fabricator range of the astronaut.
    • Jetsuit - Increases astronaut spaceflight speed & allows in-gravity flight for 10 seconds; has a 10 second cool-down.
    • GravLock Boots - Gravitize to any surface when aligned to it, works both in and out of gravity; be careful, as jumping will degravitize you.
    • Armored Helmet - Adds 100 ArmorHP, also nullifies head-shot multipliers.
    • Jumpjet-pack - Increases astronaut spaceflight speed and allows in-gravity flight for 10 seconds; has a 15 second cool-down; when worn with the Jetsuit, has unlimited in-gravity flight.
    • Armored Torso - Adds 100 ArmorHP and supplies 15m of Oxygen.
    • Armored Leggings - Adds 100 ArmorHP
    Full Combat Gear Adds 300 ArmprHP, increasing total HP up to 1000.
    The Revampening:
    Thought I was done? LolNope!

Astronauts:
    Astronaut's are currently very weak. Increased health pool to 700, with 400 Health & 300 Shields, to make stronk.

ArmorHP is gained while wearing equipment with an armor bonus, it will absorb incoming damage to the Player's HP until depleted.
    Unlike Shields, ArmorHP must be repaired either at a Medical Dispenser or by Healing Beam to regain its HP
    Shields absorb incoming damage to an Astronauts HP and ArmorHP, and after no longer receiving any for 10 seconds, will recharge at a rate of 30 energy per second;
    If the player's shields are depleted, they suffer a delay penalty of 5 more seconds.
    Recharges from 1 from 300 in 10 seconds, and depleted to 300 in 15 seconds.
    Oxygen is now required to survive, but don't worry, you will now start with 1 hour and 30 minutes of air in your suit. Mainly extracted from water and ice blocks, and held in the Air Tank item, which can hold up to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Certain worlds now have breathable atmospheres, but you if you want to contain it you will need an air compressor.
    It is also available at shops, where you can pay to refill your Equipment and Air Tanks for 100 credits per minute.
    While in gravity astronauts can now sprint. Sprinint consumes oxygen twice as fast, but also increases run speed by 2x (3x with Jump Boots). A player can sprint for 15 seconds before becoming exhausted; stamina regenerates 1 energy every second, but suffers a 5 second delay to regeneration if exhausted.

Weapons:
    Let's be honest, they're pretty lacking, with everyone either using the pistol or inventories full of rocket launchers and snipers, it's just plain... bad. These new mechanics help form solid roles for each weapon, making them more unique (though admittedly generic).

Pistol:
    The standard Laser Pistol is a quick draw & sheath semi-automatic gun, capable of firing a 75 damage charge every half second, with 10 rounds in the magazine. Continuously regenerates 1 round every second. If magazine hits 0, fully recharges after a 3 second delay.
    Weapon: Pistol
    Fire-mode(s): Semi-Auto
    Draw Time: 0.25s
    Sheath Time: 0.25s
    Head Shot Multiplier: 1.3x
    Damage: 60
    Rate of Fire: 0.5s
    Damage Per Second: 120
    Magazine: 10
    True Magazine: 15
    Damage/Magazine: 1,125
    Recharge Speed: 1/rps
    Magazine Depletion Time: 7.5s
    Reload Speed: 3s
    Time To Kill: 6s/700HP - 8.5s/1,000HP

Introducing: The SMG
    Compact and fully automatic. The SMG discharges a 25 damage round every 0.20 seconds, with 50 charges in the magazine. Accuracy is less punishing than compared to the Laser Pistol, but watch your ammo.
    Weapon: SMG
    Fire-mode(s): Auto
    Draw Time: 1s
    Sheath Time: 1s
    HSM: 1.1x
    Dmg: 25
    RoF: 0.2s
    DPS: 125
    Mag: 50
    True Mag: 50
    Dmg/Mag: 1,250
    MDT: 10s
    Reload Speed: 2.5s
    TTK: 5.4s/700HP - 8s/1,000HP

Introducing: The Rocket Rifle:
    While somewhat unwieldy, this potent weapon fires a consecutive barrage of micro-rockets, each dealing 175 damage within a small blast radius. Or simultaneously fire a triad after a 3 second lock-on acquisition.
    Weapon: Rocket Rifle
    Fire-mode(s): Semi-Auto/Lock
    Draw Time: 3s
    Sheath Time: 3s
    Dmg: 175 / 525 / 525
    RoF: 1.25s / 3s / 5s
    DPS: 140 / 175 / 105
    Radius: 1.5³ meter/x3
    Drop Off: 50/meter
    Magazine: 6
    Dmg/Mag: 1,050
    MDT: 7.5s
    Reload Speed: 3s
    Lock-On Time: 3s
    TTK: 5s/700HP - 7.5s/1,000HP

Sniper Rifle:
    Although Heavy, the AutoBolt-Action Sniper Rifle is equipped with a powerful scope and punch-through effect, that when charged, adds even more carnage on top of its already devastating head-shots, taking out all but the most heavily armored targets.
    Weapon: Sniper Rifle
    Fire-mode(s): Auto/Semi-Auto
    Draw Time: 4s
    Sheath Time: 5s
    Charge-up Time: 3s
    Charge Dmg Multiplier: 1.25x
    HSM: 2x / 2.25x
    Dmg: 420 / 525 /525
    RoF: 3s / 3s / 6s
    DPS: 140 / 175 / 87.5
    Mag: 4
    Dmg/Mag: 1,700
    MDT: 12s
    Reload Speed: 4s
    TTK: 6s/700HP - 9s/1,000HP

Rocket Launcher:
    Big, Bulky, and Cumbersome, The Rocket Launcher offers ultimate firepower at the cost of slow speed and a heavy reload time. Capable of slightly inaccurate dumb-fire, and precision lock-on at a distance.
    Weapon: Rocket Launcher
    Fire-mode(s): Semi-Auto/Lock
    Draw Time: 7s
    Sheath Time: 6s
    Dmg: 1500
    Radius: 6³ meters
    Drop Off: 250/meter
    Magazine: 1
    Reload Speed: 6s
    Lock-On Time: 4.5s

Cutting Torch:
    When used on an enemy astronaut, the Cutting Torch will burn them for 10 damage every 0.10 seconds, and will set them aflame if burned for 3 seconds. Burning enemies are dealt 30 damage every second, for the next 10 seconds
    Weapon: Cutting Torch
    Draw Time: 1s
    Sheath Time: 1s
    Dmg: 10
    RoF: 0.10
    DPS: 100 [ 100/100/130]
    TTK: 6.10s/700HP - 8.2s/1,000HP

Heal Beam:
    When used on an astronaut, the Healing Beam will now rejuvenate 15 HP, then heal ArmorHP every 0.20 seconds.
    Weapon: Healing Beam
    Draw Time: 2.5s
    Sheath Time: 2s
    Heal: 15
    RoF: .20
    HPS: 75 |
    TTH: 5.40s/400, 9.40s/700

Power Supply:
    When used on an astronaut, the Power Supply Beam will now resupply 10 energy to their shields every 0.20 seconds.
    Weapon: Power Supply Beam
    Draw Time: 2s
    Sheath Time: 1.5s
    Heal: 10
    RoF: .20
    HPS: 50
    TTH: 6s/300

Tools:
    Grappling Gun:

The Grappling Gun shoots an energy tether up to 50 meters, which on contact with a block, will align and pull the user to it. Additionally, Astronauts shot by the grappling tether will be lose shields, and be pulled towards the aggressor.
    Weapon: Grappling Gun
    Fire-mode(s): Semi-Auto
    Draw Time: 2s
    Sheath Time: 3s
    Dmg: 300 - 0 (EMP)

Gravity:
    Gravity is now binary (on/off) (and Gasp! logic-toggleable!) and applied to the entirety of ships and stations. No more individuals out of gravity while others are in: colliding with, aligning to, or being X meters [calc'd] near a structure's center of mass will now automatically pull you into its gravity, if it has any.

Balancing™ Because life hates you.

Now Edited for 97% more viewing pleasure!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Well, I really like most of this idea. However, I am on the side of making oxygen extremely easy to get and produce or manufacture.

Don't know if you know, but in 2015 scientists discovered a way to make synthetic leaves which means that we can now manufacture oxygen for space travels from Carbon-dioxide and UV light. I really think starmade should reflect these new discoveries as much as possible, and make it very easy to get basic survival supplies.

I imagine that any space race aliens or civilizations would have found ways to make these survival needs easily met. Make the game-play the actually difficult and entertaining part. The fact that the game is a survival game should come second to player enjoyment and game immersion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Gravity:
    Gravity is now binary (on/off) (and Gasp! logic-toggleable!) and applied to the entirety of ships and stations. No more individuals out of gravity while others are in, getting close enough or aligning to a structure will now automatically pull you into it's gravity (if it has any.)
    Getting close enough? I imagine falling down upon trying to enter the side door of a ship.
    Spent at least 6 hours on these threads this thread, now finally done?! And of course most of it was on the weapon stats. Balancing™ Because life hates you. Now Edited for 90% more viewing pleasure!
    Let the devs worry about the exact numbers, just try to get the concept down.
    To prevent anything from being a direct upgrade, each piece of gear has its own upsides and downsides.
    (Please note all names are placeholders if needed, and all stats may need more refined balance.)
    So no upgrades at all?
    Also, your combat gear lacks oxygen.
    I think it's a bit flat and hard to work with.
    Consider these slots:
    Suit: gives bonuses to HP and armor. Light armor provides a bonus to something else.
    Shield: gives shield and shield armor. Low shields provide a bonus to something else.
    O2 tank: determines o2 capacity and regen. (regen rates may be different for pressurized areas, vacuum, and oxygenated areas)
    Helmet: Determines sensors (I'm assuming we're getting these at some point.) Determines headshot multiplier.
    Backpack: Determines bonus cargo capacity and number of weapons slots (to prevent players from spamming rocket launchers.) Default weapon slot will be one to allow the player to work without a backpack.
    Fabricator: determine range and speed of fabricator.
    Boots: determine push/pull resistance, jump height, and movement speed.
    Jetpack: determine thrust, max speed, and how long a player can "boost" for. I imagine that making it out of atmosphere without a boost will be the domain of specialized jetpacks.
    The light armor and low shields will give bonuses to other stats listed here. So I could have a mining suit that gives me a fabricator speed bonus or something. Or a small shield that makes me faster. As you said, trade-offs.

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Getting close enough? I imagine falling down upon trying to enter the side door of a ship.
    Ooh, glad you caught that, didn't think about falling. Maybe should only turn on when aligned, if feet contact surface. Or when far enough inside the structure, say... 10 blocks in - actually that's probably stupid and/or difficult/impossible to program/calculate.

How about when close enough to center of mass? It probably could take in account the structure's mass and calculated more accurately (nearest block?) when to engage gravity.

So no upgrades at all? Also, your combat gear lacks oxygen.
    Yeah, if you missed it, sidegrades are like the entire point; every upside has its downside, to keep any one thing from becoming outright superior (and to an extent, overpowered). Astronauts aren't ships, and I really want to avoid another "Cannon/Cannon/Overdrive for them.

Also, your combat gear lacks oxygen.
    The Armor has 15 minutes of oxygen in the leggings (my guess it's a small tank on the belt). And again- idea is to discourage people from wearing full body armor 24/7. The full suit really should only be worn for battle.

Consider these slots: ...
    1. Wat? Which suit? Also, what light armor? Anyways for "bonuses" I forgot to mention the Jumpsuit, Jetsuit, and Jumpjet-pack all passively double spaceflight speed.
    • None = 1x Spaceflight speed. (Current.)
    • Jumpsuit = 2x Speed / 1 hour & 30 minutes of oxygen.
    • Jetsuit = 2x Speed / 5 second Afterburner with a 10 second Cool-Down for 4x Speed/1x in-gravity.
    • Jumpjet-Pack = 2x Speed / 5s AB with a 15s CD for 4x Speed/1x in-gravity.
    • Jumpsuit + Jumpjet-Pack = 4x Speed / 5s AB with a 15s CD for 5x Speed / 2x in-gravity.
    • Jetsuit + Jumpjet-Pack = 4x Speed / Infinite 1x Speed in-gravity.

2. Thanks for the idea. Astronauts now have 400 HP and 300 Shields. Shields recharge 10 seconds after being damaged, and suffer a 5 second penalty if completely depleted.
    Recharge rate is at 30 Shield-HP per second (20 seconds from 1 to full, 25 from zero to full).

3. I'd rather not to go into pressurized rooms territory, which is why it's designed to function without them, but it would be nice if they were added somehow.

Also, the air tank holds 1 hour and 30 minutes of oxygen, which you can find on Terran and Desert planets, or extract from ice and water. You can also buy from shops for 100 credits per minute.

4. Good idea, maybe the different helmets could also effect radar, with no helm being no radar, normal at 30 meters, regulator at 40, and armored helm at 50? Also I kind of lied about the armored helmet, will change it to nullify head-shot multipliers.
    Head-shots are a damage multiplier when the head is hit. It's 78 damage for Laser Pistol, 27.5 for SMG - 850 for Sniper Rifle (uncharged), and 954 for Sniper Rifle (charged). You now need at least regulator helmet and any 1 piece of armor to survive an uncharged head shot, while a charged will kill anyone not wearing armored helm/reg helm + the 3 other body armor pieces.

5. Not sure what the bonus capacity should be, so left blank, and second part is null, as any amount of weapons can still be held, and any amount can be put on hot-bar - but you can't just fire weapon after weapon anymore.
    In the weapon's stats, you'll notice 'draw time' and 'sheath time'. these stats determine how long it takes to pull out, and put up a weapon, before it can be fired/put away again. Note: As long as the draw time isn't completed, it'll instantly sheath and start withdrawing the new weapon you switched to.

6. Honestly, I've never played survival before (I just build ships in creative; also, what does a fabricator do?). But will add it to backpack.

7. Not sure about resistances; but Jump Height is 2 meters without Jump Boots, and 10 meters with them; I never thought about faster running speed. Logically, lighter gear will keep you light on your feet, while heavier equipment will slow you down.

Edit: Jump boots now double your speed; reduced jump-height from 10 meters to 6.

8. I'm starting to think you didn't even read the thread; refer to #1.

9. Still not sure what you mean, but might add 'Light Armor'

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, if you missed it, sidegrades are like the entire point; every upside has its downside, to keep any one thing from becoming outright superior (and to an extent, overpowered). Astronauts aren't ships, and I really want to avoid another "Cannon/Cannon/Overdrive for them.
    Got it. Given that you seem to be going for equipment niches, I see.
    The armor might be able to be side-gradable into different resistances, but maybe not.

The Armor has 15 minutes of oxygen in the leggings (my guess it's a small tank on the belt). And again- idea is to discourage people from wearing full body armor 24/7. The full suit really should only be worn for battle.
    Or maybe just the 15 minutes is built-in to the astronaut, just so we can never lose it?

2. Thanks for the idea. Astronauts now have 400 HP and 300 Shields. Shields recharge 10 seconds after being damaged, and suffer a 5 second penalty if completely depleted.
    Recharge rate is at 30 Shield-HP per second (20 seconds from 1 to full, 25 from zero to full).
    I was going to say that shields shouldn't be default, but then if you have to put on armor to get a shield, then just running away from damage isn't as viable of a thing. So actually yeah, default shields.

3. I'd rather not to go into pressurized rooms territory, which is why it's designed to function without them, but it would be nice if they were added somehow.

Also, the air tank holds 1 hour and 30 minutes of oxygen, which you can find on Terran and Desert planets, or extract from ice and water. You can also buy from shops for 100 credits per minute.
    Fair enough. Though will ships be able to provide O2 to crew members, so they don't have to wear the oxygen suits all the time?

4. Good idea, maybe the different helmets could also effect radar, with no helm being no radar, normal at 30 meters, regulator at 40, and armored helm at 50? Also I kind of lied about the armored helmet, will change it to nullify head-shot multipliers.
    But then the armored helmet has superior sensors and superior protection.
    (You might want to put the equipment by slot rather than group, so that way we can see what niches for equipment are unfulfilled.)
    Standard helmet: Highest oxygen, medium sensor no armor.
    Scouting helmet: No oxygen, highest sensor, low armor.
    Armored helmet: No oxygen, low sensor, high armor.
    5. Not sure what the bonus capacity should be, so left blank, and second part is null, as any amount of weapons can still be held, and any amount can be put on hot-bar - but you can't just fire weapon after weapon anymore.
    In the weapon's stats, you'll notice 'draw time' and 'sheath time'. these stats determine how long it takes to pull out, and put up a weapon, before it can be fired/put away again. Note: As long as the draw time isn't completed, it'll instantly sheath and start withdrawing the new weapon you switched to.
    Ehhh honestly I didn't look too closely at the stats. Alright then draw/sheathe time eliminates my concern about too many weapons. (Though it does seem kinda high.)
    6. Honestly, I've never played survival before (I just build ships in creative; also, what does a fabricator do?). But will add it to backpack.
    The fabricator allows you to mine. Actually, given the weapon draw/sheathe, it's viable to have a fabricator beam that boosts mining speed while equipped, and just have the backpack increase cargo capacity.
    So backpacks are:
    Air tank
    Backpack
    Jetpack
    8. I'm starting to think you didn't even read the thread; refer to #1.

9. Still not sure what you mean, but might add 'Light Armor'
    Yeahhhhhhh, I really didn't look too closely at the equipment.
    Looking at it now:
    Oxygen
    Jet-suit
    Armor

In which case light armor doesn't really occupy a distinct niche of its own enough to merit adding it.

Reaction score
    The only part I don't like is compulsory oxygen for survival, since that only adds more tedium and grind to an already grindy game. Otherwise, good job! Well thought-out.

Reactions: jgames666

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I agree a revamp could be useful. But the spirit of StarMade (to me?) is "customize your experience". I like the archetype system there in principle. However, I'd still rather have a "blockspace" than slot system with weaponry and equipment. want lock-on rocket launcher? add the right balance of weapons blocks to the "gun" meta-item.

Ed: Going to reiterate I LIKE the archetype equipment up there. Having such "premade" metaitems available for purchase from NPC vendors would be a must so newbies have items to learn from! Especially true if they end up being voxel weapons/equipment.

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm not one for an oxygen mechanic but most of this sounds awesome.

Reaction score
    ArmorHP is gained while wearing equipment with an armor bonus, it will absorb incoming damage to the Player's HP until depleted.
    Unlike Shields, ArmorHP must be repaired either at a Medical Dispenser or by Healing Beam to regain its HP
    Shields absorb incoming damage to an Astronauts HP and ArmorHP, and after no longer receiving any for 10 seconds, will recharge at a rate of 30 energy per second;
    If the player's shields are depleted, they suffer a delay penalty of 5 more seconds.
    Recharges from 1 from 300 in 10 seconds, and depleted to 300 in 15 seconds.
    I disagree with that, Already it takes forever to kill an astronaut with any hand weapon. Especially if they keep dodging.