Astronaut-launcher.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    A dual function block request. A launcher for accelerating astronauts into space.

Boost setting accelerates astronaut along an axis like a boost-gate.

Launch setting: astronaut enters launcher then aims the tube within an limited field (like weapons). Click to launch.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    not sure if we need special block for this as we can already do this with a gravity catapult turret. I even made one.

Reactions: Lecic

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How about a line-of-sight teleporter instead?

I was thinking about using your gravity catapult as planetary teleporter, Crimson-Artist .
    But I fear the LAG of collision checks.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This idea reminds me of the classic "shoot a guy out of a cannon" trick at circuses.

I like how the next "Spess" Marine being loaded looks like he's saying "OK, I'm next, I guess. Cannonball."

This makes me want Inverse-Kinematic skeleton animations for astronauts even more, so that there is a different "splat" pattern, every time an astronaut is launched against the hull of an entity. That would be funny.
    "Wow, that one looks like DaVinci's Vitruvian Man."
    "Oh ouch, that one looks like the knee is bending the wrong way. He'll feel that in the morning."

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    not sure if we need special block for this as we can already do this with a gravity catapult turret. I even made one.
    Came here to say this existed. Yeah, I don't really see a reason for a special blockset for this.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    The main purpose that inspired this idea was moving astronauts quickly within a large ship. Sort of like pneumatic tubes. All due credit for the clever solutions that the build community has dreamed up for launchers and gravity-lifts. These builds are what inspired this thread. For me the goal is to make getting around in the game more fun and accessible to the largest number of players. These clever builds are bigger and more complicated than most players are going to use.

Should new players face the learning curve of complex logic...just to move about more freely? Imagine the total number of hours spent by the community of players...just slowly floating somewhere.

I am arguing for streamlining things for new players that will (literally) accelerate their progress.

Reactions: MacThule

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's exactly what teleporters are for ;)
    Replace your turbo-lifts with teleporters and you can choose your destination without binary logic.

Should new players face the learning curve of complex logic...just to move about more freely? Imagine the total number of hours spent by the community of players...just slowly floating somewhere.
    Perhaps we should rethink gravity blocks then.
    This means:
    When you enter an area trigger it must have an option to turn on gravity but not turn it off and vice versa.
    A logic and/or slaving a gravity-block should determine if it is just set-on or just set-off.
    And gravity direction needs to be independent of up/down.

Last edited:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    So... hearing the battle-cry `Fire me boy!`does not resonate with anyone......snif. :(

(I guess my Fururama style pneumatic tube franchise is going be worthless. oh well.)

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So... hearing the battle-cry `Fire me boy!`does not resonate with anyone......snif. :(

(I guess my Fururama style pneumatic tube franchise is going be worthless. oh well.)
    If that's what you want, you can already do that with gravity. Just place a gravity module upside-down and you'll fly upwards, when you activate it. Via logic gates and such you could manouver along pipe systems.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    that's what you want, you can already do that with gravity. Just place a gravity module upside-down and you'll fly upwards, when you activate it. Via logic gates and such you could manouver along pipe systems
    Yes, thanks capt. I do realize that. I just can`t help wanting 45 degree bends in the pipe. It would make for nifty Marine-launcher like in the book Starship Troopers. Also dreaming of just-for-fun astronaut races and obstacle courses.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, thanks capt. I do realize that. I just can`t help wanting 45 degree bends in the pipe. It would make for nifty Marine-launcher like in the book Starship Troopers. Also dreaming of just-for-fun astronaut races and obstacle courses.
    Then just dock the gravity module on a 45° rotator and you're good ;)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The Aethi Avar-Kiaan-class Cruiser has a gravity ejector that does effectively this. Lots of fun, and surprisingly useful.

Reactions: nightrune

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Really why don't we just have player gear that lets you "dock" to rails as an astronaut then you could use shoot out rails for this.

Reactions: Lukwan